[Important!] Dreamtown Stealing!!!

That is some flawed logic right there. You cannot compare legal battles to getting your video game work stolen. Honestly, at this point, I'm not trying to use real life instances and you probably shouldn't either with these examples your coming up with. I can't tell you what to do though.

Posting it and having evidence that it's yours is basically protection from theft.

No, you can't, but it doesn't make this any more right. People don't profit from dream towns and it's ultimately just a game, but it's also a hobby that people put lots of time and effort into. I've said before in this thread that I don't have a dream town and this personally doesn't affect me, but I can at least try to understand why some people wouldn't want their towns ripped off square by square.

According to the logic you're using here, people shouldn't share their towns unless they're blogging about it a lot or something to have "proof" and otherwise they're not protected from theft. That's more or less true, but people should also be able to enjoy a feature of the game to share the things they've made with their friends and the community without having to worry about this. I visit dream towns a fair bit when I'm bored in the game and I like visiting the dozens of really well done towns that I've found. It would pretty sad if we couldn't visit any because people just wouldn't share them so they won't be wasting their time on something that someone else will take credit for instead.

No, you can't, but it doesn't make this any more right. People don't profit from dream towns and it's ultimately just a game, but it's also a hobby that people put lots of time and effort into. I've said before in this thread that I don't have a dream town and this personally doesn't affect me, but I can at least try to understand why some people wouldn't want their towns ripped off square by square.

According to the logic you're using here, people shouldn't share their towns unless they're blogging about it a lot or something to have "proof" and otherwise they're not protected from theft. That's more or less true, but people should also be able to enjoy a feature of the game to share the things they've made with their friends and the community without having to worry about this. I visit dream towns a fair bit when I'm bored in the game and I like visiting the dozens of really well done towns that I've found. It would pretty sad if we couldn't visit any because people just wouldn't share them so they won't be wasting their time on something that someone else will take credit for instead.

People shouldn't share them if they are overly worried. It's unfair, and the people who do copy are mean lazy buttholes, but it can't be helped. I've aid multiple times that I understand how much time it takes but complaining constantly doesn't make it any better. People should enjoy this feature. But people can't and will get scared because one couple of people decided to take credit. I also don't have a dream that's any good but tbh if I did I would care less. But everyone's different I suppose.

Also can some people stop putting words in my mouth. I never said it was right.

Last edited:
I know it's mean to steal towns but in reality, does it hurt the person's town that got stolen? Otherwise, I don't see what the big deal is since no one is making money.

I just personally don't think it's actually possible to steal someone's dreamtown. Like, how about some proof before spreading something like this? Like, someone needs to post some proof of this happening. Taking people's word for it, isn't going to help anything, it'll just cause unneeded drama. So, I think there should be some proof before we all get huffy and puffy about it.

ok cant explicitly say how but basically through the ds browser, you make a dump file of ur town. someone figured out that you can make a dump of a dream town.
you inject the dump file into ur town and it changes.

Last edited:
ok cant explicitly sau how but basically through the ds browser, you make a dump file of ur town. someone figured out that you can make a dump of a dream town.
you inject the dump file into ur town and it changes,

Yup. Ik how to do it but I obviously wouldn't spread it everywhere or do it because I'm decent enough not to

Well... all I can say is that perhaps a 1.2 update might be coming to Animal Crossing New Leaf. This would stop any possible way of dream towns being taken as you need to go online.

Personally I do think its rude if someone copies someone else's town. But it depends. How the owner feels. What is the person is doing to the town they copied. It's their game, and they can do what they want to their game. Or are they passing it on as their own creation/town. But in the end it is not nice, as it is coping someone else's work.

However, one thing I want to mention. It could be helpful for people who have lost their town/s, and they could use this to get their town/s back. I have seen members cry over this and wish they could get their town/s back from a dream.

Last edited:
However, one thing I want to mention. Could be helpful for people who have lost their town/s, and they could use this to get their town back. I have seen some members cry over this and wish they could get their town back from a dream.

oh damn never thought of that..... might see if i can do this later, ill have to dig up my seattle da from somewhere on the forum

However, one thing I want to mention. It could be helpful for people who have lost their town/s, and they could use this to get their town/s back. I have seen some members cry over this and wish they could get their town/s back from a dream.
Yep, I've seen a few people "resurrect" their old towns with this method. :) It doesn't copy letters, but otherwise they have their town and villagers back.

People shouldn't share them if they are overly worried. It's unfair, and the people who do copy are mean lazy buttholes, but it can't be helped. I've aid multiple times that I understand how much time it takes but complaining constantly doesn't make it any better. People should enjoy this feature. But people can't and will get scared because one couple of people decided to take credit. I also don't have a dream that's any good but tbh if I did I would care less. But everyone's different I suppose.

Also can some people stop putting words in my mouth. I never said it was right.

First, as I said in my posts, most people likely didn't know about this until recently. A lot of people who shared dream towns probably did so assuming that there was no way to copy them exactly. It's great for you that you don't care. I don't know if I would or not. However, I can also understand that yes, everyone is indeed different, and some people have put a lot of effort into their town without knowing this could happen. Even if they know that this can happen, it shouldn't be something that could put people off a feature that is nice on principle and ruin everyone's fun.

I haven't seen anyone "complaining constantly", just this one thread. I also haven't seen anyone say that talking about it will make it any better (though I've skipped a few posts). The closest was the first post warning people about it and several people condemning it. You and I may not be affected by this, but at least I can understand why people may feel differently from the way I do and not want to feel like their work was thrown out.

By "some people", do you mean me? Because if so, you should simply say so outright. I didn't say that you said it was right, but you sure seem very intent on replying to most people who are upset or just saying they understand the people who are upset. Your posts do make it look like you're trying hard to justify this and pin this on people who get their towns ripped off (for sharing) and shout loud and clear that you don't care (as though everyone has to feel the same way and anyone who doesn't is wrong).

First, as I said in my posts, most people likely didn't know about this until recently. A lot of people who shared dream towns probably did so assuming that there was no way to copy them exactly. It's great for you that you don't care. I don't know if I would or not. However, I can also understand that yes, everyone is indeed different, and some people have put a lot of effort into their town without knowing this could happen. Even if they know that this can happen, it shouldn't be something that could put people off a feature that is nice on principle and ruin everyone's fun.

I haven't seen anyone "complaining constantly", just this one thread. I also haven't seen anyone say that talking about it will make it any better (though I've skipped a few posts). The closest was the first post warning people about it and several people condemning it. You and I may not be affected by this, but at least I can understand why people may feel differently from the way I do and not want to feel like their work was thrown out.

By "some people", do you mean me? Because if so, you should simply say so outright. I didn't say that you said it was right, but you sure seem very intent on replying to most people who are upset or just saying they understand the people who are upset. Your posts do make it look like you're trying hard to justify this and pin this on people who get their towns ripped off (for sharing) and shout loud and clear that you don't care (as though everyone has to feel the same way and anyone who doesn't is wrong).
I'm not the best at saying my thoughts in the best way. It's painfully obvious I'm not.
I also wasn't talking about this thread. I've been on other websites too. I said that it shouldn't put people off of the feature, but tbh if my work went into something really Iimportant to me (obviously not my acnl cartridge, but that's just me, it probably is different for you ) I'd quit the feature. You are taking what I say and throwing it completely out of what I'm trying to say. That may be the way you took it, but realize that just because you take it a certain way doesn't mean that the user isn't completely outrageous, insestitive, and uncaring. You can't say that someone doesn't care just because they don't wanna hear rants about it forever.

I've received messages and tbh it's more than just you. Did you even completely try to understand what I was trying to say?

Also at chibi.hoshie@ finally someone saw something positive in this damn thread

I'm leaving now

Let's not start a flame war please. I understand the argument, but by escalating the argument, it only makes it worse. We already had a lot of these in March, and we're tired of them. Yeah, I agree that people don't create dream towns for profit. They do this for fun. I also agree that even if you write about your town, it doesn't protect you from theft. It may give you credit, but people can still steal towns in-game like how we're describing them. But to create an argument like this, it's just as bad as town theft.

Sorry if I had to say it, but I thought we were going to another argument. The bottom line is, even if it's not a good idea to compare a video game scenario to a real life scenario, the emotional results are the same. The creator would feel robbed.

@Chibi.Hoshi: I agree with you on this. The AC online community has gone too far several times.

Laternflies on tumblr has had her town stolen, and she's really upset about it. I would be too. You put hundreds or maybe thousands of hours of work into a creative project, it's important to you whether it's a piece of art or a town in a video game. It's still her intellectual property, so taking it is theft. And given how much work she put into her town (whether or not you like it, you can't argue that it isn't one of the more well-known towns in the acnl tumblr community), having someone replicate it via a cheat in five minutes and then use that information to taunt her (which has also been happening as far as I can gather, she's been getting nasty messages from the thief) is hurtful and wrong.

I'm not sure who else, or how many other people, have stolen towns or had their towns stolen, I'm only aware of it through this one user's experiences. But it's messed up and shouldn't be tolerated by the acnl community.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Whoops, I thought I was on the last page of the thread, but I guess I wasn't. Anyway that post was meant in response to whoever asked if anyone had actually had a town stolen or if it was hearsay.

Man, I haven't seen this many arguments and disagreements on this forum before. Nice, guys.

Let's not start a flame war please. I understand the argument, but by escalating the argument, it only makes it worse. We already had a lot of these in March, and we're tired of them. Yeah, I agree that people don't create dream towns for profit. They do this for fun. I also agree that even if you write about your town, it doesn't protect you from theft. It may give you credit, but people can still steal towns in-game like how we're describing them. But to create an argument like this, it's just as bad as town theft.

Sorry if I had to say it, but I thought we were going to another argument. The bottom line is, even if it's not a good idea to compare a video game scenario to a real life scenario, the emotional results are the same. The creator would feel robbed.

@Chibi.Hoshi: I agree with you on this. The AC online community has gone too far several times.

I'm sorry that you felt so personally offended by my post that you think it's as bad as stealing someone's hours of effort. I didn't create an argument, I replied to posts that were part of a discussion that multiple other people were having and replying to more regularly than I was. I didn't personally attack that user or insult them, I disagreed and explained the way their posts were coming across to me. Whether you think that's an argument or not is probably off-topic so if you wish, you can PM me.

I mostly don't understand why your reply is aimed at me since in my post, I didn't say anything different from your "the bottom line is..." part. In fact, I said that the emotional results of stealing someone's work, even if it's work they did for fun, should be taken into account and that I understand why people would feel that way even if it personally doesn't affect me. You might be confused.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm not the best at saying my thoughts in the best way. It's painfully obvious I'm not.
I also wasn't talking about this thread. I've been on other websites too. I said that it shouldn't put people off of the feature, but tbh if my work went into something really Iimportant to me (obviously not my acnl cartridge, but that's just me, it probably is different for you ) I'd quit the feature. You are taking what I say and throwing it completely out of what I'm trying to say. That may be the way you took it, but realize that just because you take it a certain way doesn't mean that the user isn't completely outrageous, insestitive, and uncaring. You can't say that someone doesn't care just because they don't wanna hear rants about it forever.

I've received messages and tbh it's more than just you. Did you even completely try to understand what I was trying to say?

Also at chibi.hoshie@ finally someone saw something positive in this damn thread

I'm leaving now

It's funny that you think that because I interpreted your posts in a certain way (and have explained why) you seem to think it's "outrageous, insensitive, and uncaring". If you really don't want to hear people complain about the dream town issue and don't want them to think you're justifying anything, then maybe you shouldn't have replied to a lot of posts in which people voiced their concern just to debate why you didn't care or didn't want to hear about it.

I can't see your PMs so I have no way of knowing the context of what people say to you in those messages. Since you were replying to me, I couldn't just guess that you were talking about messages you didn't mention getting to begin with.

I'm leaving too, I think this thread has pretty much lived its life.

I'm sorry that you felt so personally offended by my post that you think it's as bad as stealing someone's hours of effort. I didn't create an argument, I replied to posts that were part of a discussion that multiple other people were having and replying to more regularly than I was. I didn't personally attack that user or insult them, I disagreed and explained the way their posts were coming across to me. Whether you think that's an argument or not is probably off-topic so if you wish, you can PM me.

I mostly don't understand why your reply is aimed at me since in my post, I didn't say anything different from your "the bottom line is..." part. In fact, I said that the emotional results of stealing someone's work, even if it's work they did for fun, should be taken into account and that I understand why people would feel that way even if it personally doesn't affect me. You might be confused.

It's not about the contents in the argument that hurts me. It's seeing more escalating more arguments like that are what's bothering me. I saw your point (and you have a really good point), but some arguments have gotten out of control.

Anyway, back on topic. I still think the way how they're stealing dream towns is pretty bad. I also don't know why they do this. If they're just spoiled noobs that want a really nice town, then they should work on them on their own. They shouldn't steal like that.

I don't know if I'm of the first to post this or not (if I am saying the same stuff from another thread please let me know) but, I want to make this something known here, too, considering that this has been spreading like a wild fire on Tumblr.

Some people have found a way to basically copy a dreamtown and all it has in it into their own town

I don't know how this should be handled and you people of this forum might not be so accepting to hacks. I respect that, but I just want this information to be known by you guys so that you are aware and you can take action if needed.

If you see someone having an identical town to someone's you may know, try to tell that person so they're not left in the dark about it. They're the ones who should know first and foremost that their own town is being copied.

I don't really find myself a commoner on these forums but I think it should be a thing that if someone here is caught doing this that they should be banned. It's wrong.

THERE IS ALSO ANOTHER ONE where people are making it so that they can post whatever as a TPC photo, which can lead to innapropriate doings such as nudity or other vile images. With this you might think "oh not as bad." but think about it...

If Nintendo catches on that people are doing this, they will disable ACNL's wifi. Just like with Swapnote... lets not do that, PLEASE.

source: http://delia-song.tumblr.com/post/115067847562/hacking-abuse-about-stealing-dream-towns-and

I've seen towns that have stole other's... even Nintendo's (yes, they have one).

If someone copies my town froma DA, for instance, can they do anything to my actual town?

If someone copies my town froma DA, for instance, can they do anything to my actual town?

No how is this possible the only way they can possibly affect your town is if you either wifi with them or they come to ur house and steal ur game

in case people were wondering, the dream address thing really does open up the potential for people to steal intellectual properties:
> person makes a design that is their own and does not want it distributed or used anywhere else (like a floor pattern or path or w/e)
> hacker copies their town entirely
> hacker has stolen that other person's creation
> if that design was a creation purely by that person, and they have opted out of distributing it, but it was still stolen, that is stealing someone's intellectual property, which is bad
> :,( i'm sad people can do this

now, unfortunately, unless someone went out and got a copyright for their ACNL designs or something, it's not illegal, but it's still wrong
idk if someone has already explained this in the past 14 pages i was too lazy to read, so sorry if this is kind of a repost

Back