• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Ideas for optimizing my town? Help much appreciated <3

mayorclara

21 she/her
Bells
Switch
2865-1460-2129
Hi there, I hope you're all having a good day.

I was hoping one (or a few) of you would be interested in taking a look at my dream address and maybe suggesting a few ideas you think I could put to good use in order to get the best out of my town's layout.

The theme I'm going for is very forest-y and zen, think a forest taken straight out of a Studio Ghibli movie.
If your town is of a similar theme, please do feel free to drop your own dream address in the replies, inspiration is always appreciated.

My DA is 7E00-010F-068C.

* If you visit my dream address, please keep in mind that it's still VERY much a wip, lol.
The following are temporary things:
- The bamboo area.
- The flower fields behind the town hall.
- The cherry trees below the plaza.
- The fruit trees below the town hall.

That is all!
Thank you for your time.

so i have been wandering in your dream town for a bit now, and since your town is so empty there are not many things i have o say about your town, but i'm going to try anyway.

-trees, i like the way you have your perfect cherry trees, i makes your town look slightly bigger and more forestry and you don't have to look at that ugly fence all the time.
however, if you wan to make it look more like a forest ( and since you're from a cold region ) maybe replace them with ceder trees.
they'll make it look more like a thick overgrown forest, rather than a man made forest.
also, maybe if you put holly shoots, in between the ceder trees, it will make it even look more like a thick overgrown forest.
also, when making this kind of town, make your fruit trees on the south part of town, they will fit in aesthetically better in the south with the bamboo and other bright color than in the north with all the darker green/purple/black colors.
( just remember that you can only place 12 consecutive trees/bushes )
( and that ceder trees only grow on the north part of town, they will most likely not grow past the campsite PWP )

- bamboo placement is a good idea, ( especially since you want to make a forest town, like one you mentioned )
however, bamboo and ceders don't grow together in one and the same area.
to make your town like it's a ''huge'' country/continent'' you could make your bamboo grow in the south part of town, and the ceders as i mentioned in the north.

- bushes, something i haven't seen in your town.
now bushes are in all kinds of variants.
but the ones that fit a forest themed town like yours the most ( in my opinion )
are the Holly shoot, and the Red/Yellow hibiscus.
now obviously the holly shoot is quite a dark green bush, so this will fit in nicely with the ceder trees, and give it that ''cold region'' feeling and also makes it look like the sun's light can't get through all the thickness of the trees.
while the red and yellow hibiscus are quite bright green, much like the bamboo.
which will go nicely with the bamboo, in the south part of town.

-flowers, oh my god the flowers...
this will become one of the hardest parts of your town to create.
because there are so many flowers to choose from it gets hard to decide which kind of flower ( and than which color of THAT kind of flower ) goes where, and where.
what my recommendation is for this, is that you use darker flowers ( such as the black flowers, such as he tulip, rose, and lilies )
purple, flower variants are also a good idea, such as the pansies, and violets, as long as the dark colors of the forest are represented.
in the south part of town since it's close to the beach and also, kinda IS the edge of he forest, you can make more bright and colorful flowers, such as red, blue, yellow, white, pink, and orange.

- paths, paths will be THE most difficult to pull of, since you're going for a forest theme.
the forest doesn't have straight paths, so refrain from using straight paths in your town.
make them zig-zag a bit, make them wrinkle, and twirl, like you would see in a real forest.
these paths i saw in your town ( using 4leaf clovers ) is a bad idea for this because they make it look like they are interrupting the paths themselves.
i've seen paths that look very forest like ( you'll probably need to google them and find ones you like )
i've seen paths that made it look like roots from trees were in the way, or that the paths are mossy, and muddy, and many more awesome paths, especially for forest type of themed towns.
you can use the 4leaf clovers on spots where there are ''dead spots'' or where there are openings in between trees/bushes because there are already 12 consecutively.

- animals, now, of course this is your town, and you'll have the animals YOU want of course :p
but with a forest themed town, maybe it will be fun to have either animals in your town who's house fits in well with the colors of your town.
or maybe you prefer animals that are the species of an animal that would live in such area.
or maybe you want animals that color wise fit in well.
( or maybe even only a combination of 2 of the 3 ? or even all 3 ? )
the choice is yours of course, this was just a suggestion.

- PWP, i already like that you have used the wooden bridge as the bridges of your town.
so good job on that, it will not only look aesthetically pleasing, it also fits in well with all the other wood and colors of your town.
as for other PWP's there are not many that fit in really well with this.
of course there is the log bench ( you can make it look like a tree fell down, and works rather well with both trees, regular and ceder trees )
the hot spring will also look good, like you have an extra pond somewhere in the forest
other PWP, such as the bus stop could also work, like it'd made for shelter in a heavy rain storm.
the classic police station could work as a ''forest ranger outpost'' kind of thing.
the well could work out well... ( get it :D ? ) ha ha, but in all seriousness it works good for the north part, since it could give off this sensation like you were not the first person there, and that people used to live in these parts ( you could make a scary story surrounding this, appropriate since it's almost Halloween )
the fire pit could also work for both, but more so here than in the south, it could work as a sort of camping grounds for like the boy/girl scouts, and the well ( that's not far from the fire pit ) could be the scary story that is told at the fire pit )
( THESE WERE ALL FOR HE NORTH PART )
the hammock could work well in the south, since it gives of a warmer feeling than the north
also the torch works well with the hammock, and therefor the south. ( especially in combination with the red and yellow hibiscus bush )
the flower clock also works well for the south, since it has these warm and bight colors to it.
( the log bench also works here, and so does the hot spring, since these two really work well for both )
wisteria trellis could be used as a ''wedding'' area in combination with the flower arch.

honorary mentions for PWP's are:
the cube sculpture. ( for somewhere not really related to the forest area's but still somewhere north )
( as a sign of alien life ? ... )
the stone tablet, and/or the totem pole ( for in the north )
( proof of an ancient civilization ? )
any of the topiaries.
( even though it's more for a garden themed town...
they could fit in with the south part of town.

- and last one.. ( finally :p ) mushrooms.
mushrooms fit in the best in the north part of town.
( finally something short to read, right ? :p )

and i think that's about it.
now, remember, these were just suggestions...
i'm NOT saying you have to do any of these things, i was just giving you my 2 cents of how to make a fores themed town, that is as original as possible, yet still closest to home ( the forest theme ) and of course as real/plausible as possible.

hope these tips helped you out.
and have fun creating it.

PS: the bushes, (and also trees ) place them in such way that it still creates paths, but have them openings that isn't gong to be part of the paths, so it will look like a thick, over grown forest.

NOTE: to actually get all the stuff you'll need, you'll probably will be busy for like 2 months, planning, planting, creating, editing, placing, buying, receiving, etc.. all of these thing i mentioned.
good luck ^^

I haven’t checked out your DA yet, but I will later today. I wanted to just read what you were going for first.

There are so many aspects of Ghibli to choose for inspiration, but I recommend trying to narrow down which movie you want to emulate for the landscaping of your town. Character and neighbors’ houses can either be based off that one movie, or you can combine a little mixture from others. Some of my favorites are these:

-Princess Mononoke: This is perfect for your very zen forest theme. The architecture in the movie is old and it’s mainly set around the forest. You could take specifically from the Forest God’s area by basing the “lake” around a town pond (if you have one), with lots of trees surrounding it (specifically regular saplings and maybe cedars). Maybe even put one sapling above the pond area and plant only cedars around to distinguish that it’s a special tree.

-Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind: For more weird, magical elements, Nausicaa’s a great addition. The few really great Ghibli-inspired towns I’ve visited don’t even give ode to Nausicaa, but the animated scenery is fantastic! It’s kind of dystopian, but a very nature-encompassed dystopia. The little town set around an open valley is beautiful and you could maybe have a neighbor area like that.

-Ponyo: Yes, I know this isn’t really a forest movie. However, my favorite scenery from Ponyo is when the town is flooded near the end of the movie. It’s weirdly comforting to stare at. I’d say you could put down a bunch of QR codes with water and make it like a “flooded” part of town; but maybe make a tree-path to lead to one of your character houses? That’d look so, so nice.

Side note:
My town isn’t really inspired by Ghibli, but it does give off a “slice-of-life” feel that a lot of Miyazaki’s more tame movies do. I inspired one of my characer’s (Elowyn) off of Spirited Away. She operates a bathhouse with a similar feel to Yubaba’s, but I tried to make it my own. Haha.

Also, I know you probably aren’t looking to specifically go for a Ghibli-inspired town, but there’s a lot to take from and I think these could be great starts at least. :>

Last edited:
Wow, thank you so much, Lars! I really appreciate the time you took to write all that down, truly. Very inspirational and your ideas are great.

The cedar trees instead of the perfect cherries are a great idea, I'll get to that right away. Again, thanks a ton! :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

Thank you! I have yet to fully watch Princess Mononoke actually, I wasn't paying attention the first time I saw it.

absolutely, no problem at all ^^
these suggestion may be not as ''studio gibly-esk'' as you may have wanted it to be.
but i still tried to keep it as a forest, as per your request.
the north part of town idea of having ceders and holly shoots there, was due to my knowledge of you being Danish.
and since Denmark is ( to my knowledge ) a pretty cold place to live, i though of that as an idea to implement in your town.

i implemented my nationality by having my countries flag in front of my town hall, along with the color of our royal family.
and also having lots of tulips.
and was thinking about adding a mill PWP to it.

and since i loved that idea, i though you might appreciate that as well :)

That's really smart actually! Denmark is indeed chilly, especially around october-january. My theme isn't thought to be directly Studio Ghibli-esque either, but I'm very fascinated by the ambience and serenity I experience when I watch those movies.

maybe look up something abut forests in Denmark.
maybe it will give you some inspiration to make your town the best forest themed town there is :)
( and maybe it will help you visualize a ''real'' interpretation of what your town would look like if it were real. )

Back