• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

I read that this next update is the last update for ACNH? Thoughts?

I’m hoping there may be some surprises that weren’t covered in the nintendo direct like Gracie and her furniture/clothes that weren’t given to Ables and being to use the clothes you buy to customize furniture like in the past (they are letting us use the patterns we get from sable but not the same in my opinion since there were cute clothes like the sandwich shirt; the patterns are just okay to me). I’m trying not to have my hopes too high. If there are no surprises and no gracie, yeah i will be pretty sad since her furniture sets were some of the best, however, I am seriously very happy with the bit we saw in the direct of what we’re getting and appreciate how much of the feedback they listened to. I’m returning to play regardless.

I think there still may be a chance for them to make more paid dlcs; personally, I hope not since I don’t have the money to spend (I may have close to enough to get the happy paradise designer though), though I won’t deny I am curious what other dlc they’d make.

if there are no more updates ill be super sad about no multiplayer mini games or just things to do with pp online i would say, thats a bummer

They did say this would be the last free and paid major updates. There is an article on the ac world page here about it as well as a link to the original ign article

Game updates just don't last forever, sadly.
Meet my friend, The Sims!😂

But yea, I agree. I think it'll only be bug fixes and background support from now on. We may additionally see some Nook shopping items, if at all, but for all purposes it looks like ACNHs dev cycle is complete. On the plus side, it could also mean that all holidays are unlocked indefinitely, going forward.

I'm sad we won't ever get a reason to play multiplayer in this game.
In fact now we can customise items that we used to have to trade for, this update gives less reason to play with friends.
(Not complaining at all that we no longer HAVE to trade in order to get everything)

Having said that I am extremely happy with the content they have shown.
And im glad the game isn't getting more updates.

I believe 2.0 adds so much that we all have something to be happy about.
And now everyone who isn't in to the game can stop waiting around to see if they get something added that they enjoy.

While I would still like some other features to return (a second story for nooks cranny, minigames, a couple more npcs, etc), I am actually glad that the bulk of updates are over now. I really just want to play a complete game in the end, whether that is perfect or not so I appreciate Nintendos clarity in this case. I am perfectly satisfied with everything that was revealed in the direct and believe that the game is finally a great installation in the Animal Crossing series. It will be interesting what the future of animal crossing as a series looks like in the future since it has become so mainstream... will it remain 1 main game per console?

I am sad that the major updates are over. I am also happy they let you know it would be the last big update. I think they did an amazing job with the last update. I really would have liked mini games and being able to have more villagers instead of playable characters. The update definitely put NH as the best in the series. Maybe there is still hope for some small things like putting rugs outside. NH now feels like a complete game.

Last MAJOR free Update

So, there will never be a v3.0, and if there is, it won't be free.

v3.1 is not a major update, so it will come someday. Probably for Festivale.

While I would still like some other features to return (a second story for nooks cranny, minigames, a couple more npcs, etc), I am actually glad that the bulk of updates are over now. I really just want to play a complete game in the end, whether that is perfect or not so I appreciate Nintendos clarity in this case. I am perfectly satisfied with everything that was revealed in the direct and believe that the game is finally a great installation in the Animal Crossing series. It will be interesting what the future of animal crossing as a series looks like in the future since it has become so mainstream... will it remain 1 main game per console?
Right, the clarity is nice. I was a bit sad, but mostly because I wish we were told earlier that the updates we were promised were a lot of little ones and one major update. It would have avoided a lot of disappointment. ACNH went from a super happy community to a very bitter/disappointed one and it only got worse after each update and every time the game was skipped in a Direct. I wish Nintendo had been more transparent with the update schedule and their goals for the game.

Last MAJOR free Update

So, there will never be a v3.0, and if there is, it won't be free.

Yup. Considering the fact that:

1.) the original Japanese direct said no more new content updates *period*. The wording of “major” and “free” appears only in the translations and likely didn’t come from the developers themselves.

2.) Nintendo themselves confirmed that there’s not going to be any paid DLC after HHP.

It’s safe to say the only “updates” from now on are likely to just be patches. Who knows, they might change their minds!

Last edited:
Honestly, the fact that it's over is disappointing to me and spoiled the entire direct. Not trying to be selfish and I'm genuinely glad that people are excited, but I can't see myself using any of the features except Reese/Cyrus and maybe Harriet. I would've loved it if we got more returning villagers instead of new ones, my giraffe queen Gracie, and more villager plots. I guess now that I know this stuff will likely never happen, I just feel kinda burnt out and want to go back to older games.

I’m okay with it, the only thing that bugs me a little is that I remember (from one of the pre release interviews and as far as I can recall) they said that they were planning to provide content for something between 3-5 years. It’s been one and a half since New Horizons came out, so maybe that was a bit too optimistic, especially with Covid being around, but it is what it is. I’m very happy that we got a big chunk of new things to play with, though!

I’m okay with it, the only thing that bugs me a little is that I remember (from one of the pre release interviews and as far as I can recall) they said that they were planning to provide content for something between 3-5 years. It’s been one and a half since New Horizons came out, so maybe that was a bit too optimistic, especially with Covid being around, but it is what it is. I’m very happy that we got a big chunk of new things to play with, though!
That press release got taken way out of context and passed around like a game of telephone. This is the interview it came from.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201221_110315_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20201221_110315_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg
    639 KB · Views: 26
That press release got taken way out of context and passed around like a game of telephone. This is the interview it came from.
I didn’t mean that one, I actually never saw it before. The one I was referring to was a filmed presentation.

IIRC, the “3 year” comment/claim got taken out of context. Basically, I believe they said that the game would provide three years WORTH of playing time, not that they’d keep releasing new content for 3 years.

IIRC, I remember reading that the “3 year” comment got taken out of context. Basically, I believe they said that they would provide three years playing time WORTH of content, not that they’d keep releasing new content for 3 years.
That would make sense! Sorry for the confusion. I never followed any follow-up discussions that happened after the video and the translation that we got, so my memory was indeed outdated lol Thank you for the clarification! :blush:

Back