How do you choose your villagers?

Mairen

Enchanting Dreamer
Bells
Cake
Pear (Fruit)
How do you choose the villagers that live in your town? I suppose this is mostly for the people who keep a permanent set. Did you just let the first 10 you encountered stay? Do you only choose tier 1/S villagers for popular ones? (no shame at all if you do this!). Maybe you specifically choose tier 5s to give some unpopular ones some love? Only villagers of a certain species? Color scheme? Certain house appearances? Or do you have a random assortment of villagers that you personally were fond of, and weren't really using any other qualifications for? What is your thought process for deciding these things?

Of my 38 dreamies, I tried to narrow it down by what their houses looked like, to try to have my town a little more color coded, but in the end, that idea kind of got tossed aside and I just ended up choosing the ones I liked the most, simply.

I invited whoever I came across on mystery islands that I didn't immediately dislike. I'm keeping those I've grown most attached to and working on trying to move out my duplicate personalities first.

The only villager I've sought out and brought in (via amiibo) is Soleil. I wanted a hamster villager and the game did not seem to want to give me a snooty villager, so I forced one.

Tiers mean nothing to me whatsoever. I just pick who I personally find cute, but I prioritize having 1 of every personality type first, then for duplicates, I choose the personalities I like the most. So in my case, my duplicates are 2 smug and 2 snooty. They're my favorite personalities.

I will say though... not a fan of having too many of one species. I do like species variety. I cap out at a maximum of 2 same species villagers.

Do they be cute? They do. In all seriousness though, I make sure to have at least 1 of each personality, and also no repeat of any animal species, and I like to have half female and half male. I then worry about whether or not they're cute by my standards and I don't care if other people like who I have in my town as long as I like them. Cleo is like literally my favorite villager and I want to be besties with her in every game because she means a lot to me, and she's not popular whatsoever... I try to give myself the best variety of villagers for a better game experience that meets my own standards. I want to play this for myself. If other people like my villagers though, that's a bonus.

Of my ten I have two I absolutely have to have. The rest I want to keep for a long long time but I might let leave when they ask depending on if I want a change that time when they ask or not.

At first I started by inviting whoever I came across on island tours, but I wasn't getting great picks (to me) so I've started sorting through my amiibo cards and deciding by: species then appearance, personality type, and house appearance for the purpose of my island aesthetic.

At first I wanted to have 1 of each personality type for the sake of DIY recipe variety, but there are just certain personality types that don't have any cute villagers imo, so focused less on that and more on who I thought was cute!

There are certain villagers I've always gravitated towards and I want to try having a bit of a mix-up with that, but we'll see.

Forgot to say my criteria for choosing the ten in the first place: Nostalgia, Personality Type, Species, Appearance, House Exterior among many others.

At first it was kind of pot luck - whoever I saw on an island that I didn't dislike (I didn't have many NMT to hunt for dreamies!)

I've now re-organised my dreamies based on their personality type and once my villagers start to ping me to leave I'll be on the hunt for those :') I've never done it like this before so I'm excited to see the variety of personalities - in my NL town most of my villagers were normal.

Maple was the only character I scanned in via amiibo (cos she's my fave) but I'm leaving the rest up to Lady Luck ♡

Since when I was a child I was sad every time someone moved, I missed the chance to meet a lot of the characters, I didn't even know there were so many! So I'm taking my time to meet slowly those who catch my attention in terms of design. With this I'm deciding whose amiibos I'm definitely going to get (I know there are people who don't do it, but later - I'm taking about years - if I feel like resetting, which is something I do in all of my games, I'll make sure then to have my dreamies at hand if I miss them in my new island).

I still have problems, since I gravitate too much towards some species (wolves), or personalities (cranky, lazy), but I'm trying to be open minded when island hopping and not just ''go for x dreamie'' as it has been stressful nor having results, and I just invite whoever seems interesting. Punchy, Sherb and Fang are now dreamies and I met them that way!

I also sometimes find nostalgic characters, such as Apollo, characters that I remember from my WW game, but while I invited him to my island I let him go, I think it's time to meet new faces you know?

in the beginning i felt a mad rush to try and find ppl to move in but a lot of times i failed and had tom nook move some in but ive gotten attached to them. i even went out of my way to buy some amiibo cards for the less popular villagers i share my island with so that when i eventually replace them with dreamies i could still have access to them

I don't keep a permanent set of villagers, but I have been picking my starting set of villagers (mostly). I can totally walk you through how I'm picking them out so far!

I decided that I didn't really mind so much who my starter jock and uchi villager were, but I wanted them to be someone I haven't had in my town before from NL. Luckily, I lucked out with this one by starting with Flo the penguin and Tank the rhino.

For my first normal, peppy, and lazy I did have a plan. I found Sherb by accident the first time and fell for him hard. So my plan for my lazy was to find Sherb again. My rule for my peppy and my normal was that they had to be someone I liked the look of and they had to be someone I haven't had on my island before. I ended up with Marina the octopus as my normal villager because she is pink and there are only three octopus villagers so she is very unique. I didn't expect to like her as much as I do. I toyed with the idea of using the rest of the NMT I didn't use to try to find Audie, but I ended up choosing Bianca the tiger because she was a snow leopard. Leopards are my absolute favorite large cats. It was even better when she moved in and I discovered that she had purple spots! She reminds me of Lisa Frank and I adore her!

I just hoped that I lucked into a smug that I liked the looks of and who I haven't had before. Luckily, I ended up with Leopold who is a super unique lion with a green mane and who lives in a classroom!

I decided that I wanted a cranky villager I never had before so I looked up a list of them and looked through my amiibos to see who I had because I didn't want to island-hop. I really wanted Dobie who is an old man wolf, but I didn't have him. So I decided that I needed a cranky from a really short species like a squirrel or a hamster. That is how I ended up with Hamphrey.

Now, my original plan was to move in Velma for my snooty, but I really love the look of Judy. So I'm saving up my tickets to island-hop for her specifically and while I'm saving up I'm seeing if I luck out with her in the campsite.

For my last two, I decided I wanted a pair of villagers that go together and I wanted a list of some other people I can invite in if I don't find Judy while island hopping. I first thought of Chrissy and Francine who are sisters. I don't have Francine's amiibo so she goes on my list of people I'm getting if I find her before Judy. Then I found out about Chevre and Nan who are black and white goats. I just love that they are opposites and I happen to have Nan's amiibo. So Chevre is also on the list of villagers I will invite in if I don't find Judy.

TLDR; it looks like my villager preferences largely come down to new faces and aesthetics for my first group of ten. After that, I'll have people move in randomly or using new faces from the amiibo cards I have. Velma is going to come to my island eventually. She will just have to wait for a bit before she comes because she is most likely one of the villagers who just will never leave my island.

Originally I had planned to not look up any villagers beforehand (this is my first AC game) and just invite whoever I remotely like, but at this point I do have specific ones that I would really like to have on my island. I choose mainly based on design, it doesn't matter if I'm not going to have all of the personalities as long as I'm not having too many of one. Popularity doesn't really matter to me, for some reason several of my dreamies do not seem to be particularly popular at all. It's a little sad to see those that I absolutely adore being called ugly on several occasions 😅
In general, I guess I'm drawn to certain species (anteaters, dogs, cats), themes (spooky, gothic, elegant) and color schemes.

i usually go with villagers i've always loved, and maybe a few new ones i like. chief, marshal, coco, and pietro were must haves for me since i've loved them for ages. ;; but ankha, beau, sherb, dobie, and judy were all new additions that i found on islands. i just thought flora was precious and someone gave her to me on twitter. ;v;

Right now, my permanent villagers are Zucker (whom I traded for), Sherb (encountered on a mystery Island), Peggy (brought in via amiibo) and Henry (brought in via amiibo).
I'm having a hard time deciding between Wolfgang and Boyd so they're both staying for the time being.
My favorites are mostly either due to sentimental value (Zucker and Henry) or just overall design (Sherb and Peggy).

The other villagers I currently I do plan on rotating for some time as I'd like to encounter more before I settle for someone for good.
I'm planning to replace all the 5 starters eventually because of their starter DIY houses and I love to go on Island tours to recruit and meet new villagers.
Personally, I want to have all personality types and I go for designs that I enjoy.
Popularity doesn't matter though I know that both Zucker and Sherb are both popular while Peggy and Henry are not at all.
I don't go for specific themes and it doesn't bother me if I get any species repeats as long as I'm happy with the villager.
I do find single-species Islands really cool but, personally, there are way too many villagers I like to be able to narrow it down to just the one species.

9E1D3166-0448-4E5D-8C79-8267AFA05BA8.jpeg

How do you choose the villagers that live in your town? I suppose this is mostly for the people who keep a permanent set. Did you just let the first 10 you encountered stay? Do you only choose tier 1/S villagers for popular ones? (no shame at all if you do this!). Maybe you specifically choose tier 5s to give some unpopular ones some love? Only villagers of a certain species? Color scheme? Certain house appearances? Or do you have a random assortment of villagers that you personally were fond of, and weren't really using any other qualifications for? What is your thought process for deciding these things?

Of my 38 dreamies, I tried to narrow it down by what their houses looked like, to try to have my town a little more color coded, but in the end, that idea kind of got tossed aside and I just ended up choosing the ones I liked the most, simply.

This is an excellent topic.

I have multiple islands in “New Leaf.” So, I chose my villagers with each town I created in the later years (especially after “Welcome amiibo” release, from November 2016, changed the dynamics).

For “New Horizons,” which I began on March 20, 2020 just after 12:00 a.m. ET, I decided to not get far ahead of myself.

(You can refer to the map. It is the map as of the date of this posted comment.)

My starter Jock and Uchi were Teddy and Katt. They are still there.

The island visits resulted in my selecting Normal Nan and Lazy Erik. (Nan is no longer on my island. Erik is one of my faves.)

Bonbon was given to me, as a random, to satisfy the face I did not choose any of the Peppy villagers I encountered on the islands. (I like her.)

Once I established the campsite, I was forced with the Smug to accept Lucha. (He is a gentle character. I like him, too. So, I am reluctant to part with him. But, I have 6 males and 4 females. I am likely to let go of a male to strike a 5-to-5 balance.)

After Lucha, and in need of a Smug and a Snooty, I next encountered on the islands Whitney. I decided I would be good with her. I wanted a werewolf with my deer—rather than two deers—and I went for it.

Then the game forced a Cranky on me—the cat Tom. I just amiibo’d him out for my favorite villager, the Lazy bear cub Stitches, who arrives on Mother’s Day. Yes, Sunday, May 10 is move-in day for Stitches.

I absolutely wanted an octopus. I decided my No. 1 would be Cranky Octavian. A really good fit.

That left with me a No. 10 slot. Well, the game actually lists the islanders—with their image—in order of their seniority. (Slotting is what “New Leaf” did. You lose your originally listed Nos. 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5—and your replacement was slotted there.)

I knew I wanted the Normal duck Molly. I have come to realize she is my favorite female villager. She is precious. So, for me, it was personal.

I am guessing, over a long term, I will keep Octavian and Molly.

Who else will come in?

I am wondering about Raymond.

I am also wondering about Audie.

I have decided I want separate species represented.

And I have decided to not strive for an island with a cast of islanders which seem to be some trend with millions of other players. I don’t want to take away identity of my island. So, I will try to choose wisely as I continue with my island Óhana.

i choose based off of my favourites- audie, lolly, skye, sprinkle, diana and fuchsia are some of my ultimate favourites so it just makes sense to me to have them. gayle is a new wanted villager for me and while i haven’t had her before, i’ve always loved her design and can’t wait to have her - kid cat was my starter and i invited him from an island tour and while i wasn’t planning on having them, they’ve both grown on me so much so i’ve decided to keep them. dobie is new to me, too, but i just really like his design aha

I just island hop till I find somebody cool looking

The thing is, I used NL as a "testing ground" for villagers. I went through more villagers than I can even remember, so I came out of that game with a very clear idea of who I liked and who I didn't.

I do prioritize having at least one of every personality, so that helps quite a bit.

My ultimate dreamies are Skye, Julian and Diana, as they were my favorites from NL, so I went after them first. Luckily I found Skye as part of the three initial villagers, and a kind TBT user sold Julian and Diana to me for barely any tickets at all. Then, I got Beau (my favorite lazy), Ruby (my favorite peppy) and Fang (my favorite cranky). All of them I had in NL, but I don't really mind, as I said, I went through many villagers to find out who my absolute favorites were.

This time I'm going for a somewhat themed island, so for the remaining spots I pick from the pool of villagers that I've always wanted but never had, and that would simultaneously fit the island. So, my uchi is going to be Deirdre, and my jock is going to be Teddy. And I've always liked Molly, so she's coming too. For my last spot, I'm going to use it to cycle. There are many villagers that would fit my town and I've never had before: Poppy, Shep, Papi... I'll see who I can find and who I like best.

Notice how the color palettes are balanced, as I'll have 5 villagers that are white/blue and 5 villagers that are more on the brown/orange side!

How I've chosen mine is if I think they are pretty or not.

I really didnt know too much about this game at first and never looked up characters beforehand. So i really didnt know what to expect.
Currently i have
3 wolves Audie Freya and Lobo.
1 cat Ankha.
1 ostritch(pheonix) Pheobe
1 woodpecker? Midge
1 frog Raddle
1 eagle Celia
1 koala Sydney
And 1 rabbit Gabi

The only thing they all have in common is that I think they're adorable.

I'd be okay with letting go of Gabi Celia and Sydney for others that I might like more. But I have a solid 7 that I'm going to be holding on to for sure.

I'd like Raymond, because I like his design, and I notice I really havnt liked the male characters much. And I would hope that I end up liking him. But the price is rediculous. Haha. Also I'd prefer not to trade for villagers. I'm fine with giving peoples away(ive given a couple of mone away when they moved out) but actually purchasing any seems off to me. No offense meant to any that do of course.

So since I've got both Audie and Ankha, I'm not expecting getting another super desired one. But I do adore the business cat, and would love him to bits if I did get lucky enough to find him.

I also have a thing about only really liking the carnivores, not sure why...
Even Midge and Raddle are insectivores...

I tried to get some of every personality, first going through the villagers and seeing who was cute. Then I'd save as many NMT as possible and try to find any of them. It's a pretty loose list, so I don't have issues with cycling out some villagers eventually since I want to experience a lot of them. That being said I've gotten incredibly lucky and it would be difficult to let some of my villagers go, so some are on my island permanently.

Back