• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How do ya'll decide where to place stuff?

SmoochsPLH

Happy vibes ✌️🌈🎈🧸
Bells
Switch
7883-3221-7710
Cherry (Fruit)
Red Lily
White Lily
Yellow Lily
Pavé
Matryoshka Doll
Black Hybrid Rose
The Bell Tree Fair 2020 Patch
Pear (Fruit)
Orange (Fruit)
I'm trying to plan my town before hand and am having so much trouble deciding where to put stuff. :c

Should I plot pwps first or villagers? How do I avoid putting everything near the river or in little corners? How do I know if somewhere's a good spot? I don't wanna put anything permanent somewhere I'll regret, but I am having so much trouble deciding.

I think for my villagers I'll let them move in randomly, but plot reset when I know one is moving in so that I can make sure I like where they are.

Sorry if I'm sounding silly or too worrisome about this I just want my town to look nice. <:3

I went a little extreme with my planning. I mapped out my entire town on grid so I could see the river layout, where all of the permanent buildings were, my house, the event plaza and even the permanent rocks. Then, I planned out where I wanted all of my villagers to live and laid down patterns to force them into those spaces. Next, I planned out my PWPs to fill in the empty areas and mapped out the trees and flowers around everything. It was very time consuming and tedious, but it was pretty much the only way I could landscape. I felt lost just looking at a barren area of my town in the game. I needed to look at it from a different perspective.

it’s always best to go with your gut - try to plan out how you want your town to look from where you want your villagers, pwps, etc. try to dedicate certain spots in town for certain things while still working with your map layout. as for whether pwps or villagers should come first, i personally would pick out pwp spots first and where you’d like your bridges to be (if you haven’t already), which’ll let you know what spots are left for your villagers to move into. however, i’d worry more about the permanent pwps first rather than any like the benches or signs as those can always be demolished if you change your mind - it’s best to try and figure out the permanent stuff first and worry about the changeable things later.

as for not wanting to shove things into the corner, i would dedicate larger areas with lots of space for the bigger pwps (the cafe, for example) and medium-sized spaces for villager homes. once you have those spots decided, any empty spots that remain could be for smaller pwps like benches and maybe certain pwps could go near the river like the picnic one or even another bench, if those would interest you.

as for how to tell if somewhere’s a good spot, there’s really no definite way to be sure. as i already mentioned, you kind of just have to go with your gut. with pwps, you thankfully have a preview option so you can see how it’ll look once it’s all set up and if it looks good to you, then that’s all that matters. same with villagers; while plot-resetting is a tiring process, it’s really the only way to see where a move-in will be and if it’s a good spot.

something that might also help is if you’re planning on having paths, if you don’t have them already, try to have that done before you start setting up permanent pwps or moving in dream villagers - having a path laid out can really help with decisions and could even prevent it from looking messy if you try to lay it out after the fact.

anyways, hope this helps a bit ^_^

I went a little extreme with my planning. I mapped out my entire town on grid so I could see the river layout, where all of the permanent buildings were, my house, the event plaza and even the permanent rocks. Then, I planned out where I wanted all of my villagers to live and laid down patterns to force them into those spaces. Next, I planned out my PWPs to fill in the empty areas and mapped out the trees and flowers around everything. It was very time consuming and tedious, but it was pretty much the only way I could landscape. I felt lost just looking at a barren area of my town in the game. I needed to look at it from a different perspective.

That's what I'm doing too. I probably should've been more specific sorry about that!

Peace Planner.jpg

See? I've got the whole town plotted and a few pwps (the reset center, a flower arch, picnic blanket, lighthouse, and well). I'm just having a lot of trouble deciding where the bigger and permanent stuff should go like brewster's, the campsite, and the police station. I tend to stick stuff around the edges of the river, but end up regretting it later. But I'm having so much trouble deciding a good area for them outside of that.

- - - Post Merge - - -

it’s always best to go with your gut - try to plan out how you want your town to look from where you want your villagers, pwps, etc. try to dedicate certain spots in town for certain things while still working with your map layout. as for whether pwps or villagers should come first, i personally would pick out pwp spots first and where you’d like your bridges to be (if you haven’t already), which’ll let you know what spots are left for your villagers to move into. however, i’d worry more about the permanent pwps first rather than any like the benches or signs as those can always be demolished if you change your mind - it’s best to try and figure out the permanent stuff first and worry about the changeable things later.

as for not wanting to shove things into the corner, i would dedicate larger areas with lots of space for the bigger pwps (the cafe, for example) and medium-sized spaces for villager homes. once you have those spots decided, any empty spots that remain could be for smaller pwps like benches and maybe certain pwps could go near the river like the picnic one or even another bench, if those would interest you.

as for how to tell if somewhere’s a good spot, there’s really no definite way to be sure. as i already mentioned, you kind of just have to go with your gut. with pwps, you thankfully have a preview option so you can see how it’ll look once it’s all set up and if it looks good to you, then that’s all that matters. same with villagers; while plot-resetting is a tiring process, it’s really the only way to see where a move-in will be and if it’s a good spot.

something that might also help is if you’re planning on having paths, if you don’t have them already, try to have that done before you start setting up permanent pwps or moving in dream villagers - having a path laid out can really help with decisions and could even prevent it from looking messy if you try to lay it out after the fact.

anyways, hope this helps a bit ^_^

Oh gosh that helps a lot thank you! This is my first town (technically I resetted once cause I was regretting a lot of decisions with Peace the first time) and I've never planned ahead before so I'm not used to it. I think I'm stressing myself out a little too much. Never been good with decision making lol

I was pretty lax with my layout at first, and kinda let my villagers move in wherever and planned my PWP?s around where they lived. It never really bothered me that much. However, I?ve recently gotten more into planning my town with a theme, and I got way more meticulous about where I wanted to place stuff. I put all my villagers in a line because it saves a lot of space in my town for developing. I don?t like where I ended up placing half of my PWP?s and I ended up demolishing them and putting them in new spots. I?ve been renovating my town a lot recently and it definitely takes time. I miss when I didn?t have to care about taking care of everything so much and when I let it kinda just go wherever. However, I?ve found that the PWPs are pretty easy to demolish and place in a new spot if you don?t like it later. Villagers are easy too unless you have all of your dreamies, in that case you?d have to be willing to go through the 16 villager cycle if you wanted them in a new spot which is pretty time consuming and irritating. It keeps me occupied with the game though and keep playing, so I actually don?t mind it! :) nothing is actually permanent except your town layout, house placement, and the town hall and retail. My town has changed a lot from when I first started renovating it, you can always change it later if you get dedicated enough!

I was pretty lax with my layout at first, and kinda let my villagers move in wherever and planned my PWP’s around where they lived. It never really bothered me that much. However, I’ve recently gotten more into planning my town with a theme, and I got way more meticulous about where I wanted to place stuff. I put all my villagers in a line because it saves a lot of space in my town for developing. I don’t like where I ended up placing half of my PWP’s and I ended up demolishing them and putting them in new spots. I’ve been renovating my town a lot recently and it definitely takes time. I miss when I didn’t have to care about taking care of everything so much and when I let it kinda just go wherever. However, I’ve found that the PWPs are pretty easy to demolish and place in a new spot if you don’t like it later. Villagers are easy too unless you have all of your dreamies, in that case you’d have to be willing to go through the 16 villager cycle if you wanted them in a new spot which is pretty time consuming and irritating. It keeps me occupied with the game though and keep playing, so I actually don’t mind it! :) nothing is actually permanent except your town layout, house placement, and the town hall and retail. My town has changed a lot from when I first started renovating it, you can always change it later if you get dedicated enough!

Thanks for that. c: I get really focused on making sure things are perfect sometimes.

The images from the post that I didn't want to merge to this one won't go away. Idk if anyone else can see that or not?

Attachments

• Peace Planner Numbered.jpg
    Peace Planner Numbered.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Peace Planner Numbered.jpg
    Peace Planner Numbered.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I'm trying to plan my town before hand and am having so much trouble deciding where to put stuff.
I think for my villagers I'll let them move in randomly, but plot reset when I know one is moving in so that I can make sure I like where they are.

Yeah this is pretty much what I do! If your town is fairly new with not a lot of development, you can easily just map out and cover your entire town using path patterns according to your map design/plan. This is the extreme of town planning though, but it does help in the long run. In my main town I played it somewhat normally so I let my villagers plot first and then worked around them. But in my second town I only started placing PWPs and planting trees after all my villagers had already moved in where I wanted them to go.

Back