• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Pokémon Help me improve my pokemon team?

Bellrich

STREAM IRIDESCENCE
Bells
Tasty Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
I have been trying to build a decent competitive team. I have been testing it out on showdown but I would like some opinions. Basically, its a mixed team- I have mostly some bulky tanks/walls along with 2 or so faster Pokemon. Any criticism is okay, I know its probably not a good team at all tbh. xD

Feel free to suggest anything from EVs to Pokemon that would fit the team better. Here it is:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled
- Focus Blast
This set is basically just a tanky Clefable set. Yeah, nothing too special.

Cinccino @ Life Orb
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Tail Slap
- Rock Blast
- U-turn
This one is cool imo, but Im not sure if it is viable. Skill link will allow Cinccino's multi hit attacks to be sure to hit 5 times. I gave it a life orb and max atk evs so that I can get the maximum out of this, along with making it very speedy. I think it is the fastest on my team. I just added U-turn because I didn't know what to put there, so if you have suggestions for what to change it to that'd be great.

Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
My favorite pokemon of this gen, Mareanie's, evolved form. I decided to give it more investment in physical attack than special attack because of earthquake being a very common physical threat. This is why I chose rocky helmet over leftovers/black sludge. Haze is to prevent opponents from setting up on me, and scald is my attacking move (that I should probably change to a STAB move) I chose regenerator and recover for the bulk and obviously, toxic.

Mismagius @ Razor Claw
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Mean Look
- Perish Song
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
This is just a pokemon I like and wanted to put on my team. I made it have good hp but also be faster, but Im not sure if i should just let it be slow and bulky. For the moves; Will-o-wisp and hex because Hex gets doubled if used on a pokemon with a status effect. Mean look traps the opponent in and perish song will faint them in 3 turns after I use it so they cannot escape. ...Razor Claw because why not? Yeah I know Im all over the place.

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Tri Attack
This is a filthy set that I wanted to try. Serene grace doubles secondary effects of moves. Pair that with speed investment, SP atk investment, and choice scarf with air slash and you have a strong, STAB move with 60% chance to flinch.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Sticky Web
- Taunt
My entry hazard setter. It's not the best out there and it works better in doubles (along with a follow me clefable) Basically thats all this is, nothing special here either.

So...

Opinions? Things I should change? It all helps greatly.. thank you!

Cool team, Cinccino is actually one of my favorite Pokemon c:

Your team looks like it will be walled by Blissey or Eviolite Chansey. The only physical attacker you have is Cinccino, which is incredibly unreliable since it is extremely frail. In addition, almost never use non-attacking moves on choiced Pokemon. You'll be stuck on one move till your switch out, and being stuck in Thunder Wave or Roost is pretty detrimental.

Also, I feel like your team would be sweeped by a lot of Mons (specifically set up ones). Toxapex and Clefable are really great Pokemon, but Cinccino and Mismagius are so frail and they don't carry much weight on your team without tons of support. Smeargle is ok, but I don't believe it's worth a slot in a Single Battle team that can be given to a better Pokemon.

Here is an example of a Pokemon that can sweep your team:
+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 156+ Def Toxapex: 212-250 (87.9 - 103.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 156+ Def Toxapex: 142-168 (58.9 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 289-342 (73.3 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 195-229 (49.4 - 58.1%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

A Mega Gyarados that Dragon Dances once can sweep your entire team by 2HKOing/OHKOing almost everything and outspeeding almost everything. Haze isn't enough to save it from many Mons that set up. Especially ones with Earthquake can devastate even your team's bulkiest Pokemon.

I hope this helps highlight some issues you team might face. ^^

Cool team, Cinccino is actually one of my favorite Pokemon c:

Your team looks like it will be walled by Blissey or Eviolite Chansey. The only physical attacker you have is Cinccino, which is incredibly unreliable since it is extremely frail. In addition, almost never use non-attacking moves on choiced Pokemon. You'll be stuck on one move till your switch out, and being stuck in Thunder Wave or Roost is pretty detrimental.

Also, I feel like your team would be sweeped by a lot of Mons (specifically set up ones). Toxapex and Clefable are really great Pokemon, but Cinccino and Mismagius are so frail and they don't carry much weight on your team without tons of support. Smeargle is ok, but I don't believe it's worth a slot in a Single Battle team that can be given to a better Pokemon.

Here is an example of a Pokemon that can sweep your team:
+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 156+ Def Toxapex: 212-250 (87.9 - 103.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 156+ Def Toxapex: 142-168 (58.9 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 289-342 (73.3 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 195-229 (49.4 - 58.1%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

A Mega Gyarados that Dragon Dances once can sweep your entire team by 2HKOing/OHKOing almost everything and outspeeding almost everything. Haze isn't enough to save it from many Mons that set up. Especially ones with Earthquake can devastate even your team's bulkiest Pokemon.

I hope this helps highlight some issues you team might face. ^^

Thank you! This was very helpful. I will definitely look for some pokemon that can break through tanks like blissey/chansey and find a counter for gyarados. Very much appreciated! :D

Thank you! This was very helpful. I will definitely look for some pokemon that can break through tanks like blissey/chansey and find a counter for gyarados. Very much appreciated! :D

No problem! You can try out your team a bunch on Pokemon Showdown before creating it ingame. It helps out a lot c:

I'm not big on competitive battling, but I'd get rid of Mismagius and change it for a bulky, physical attacker.
Togekiss you're probably better off giving a kings rock rather than a choice scarf - but since paralysis got a speed nerf this gen, I don't know how well this set goes anymore. Togekiss @ Kings rock with air slash and t-wave was great in gen 5/6, because it cut speed by 75%, where as of gen 7, speed is only cut by 50%. Maybe it's still good, I haven't looked into it, but I don't think it'll be as good as it was.
Could probably use a better Pokemom than Smeargle for entry hazards
For Toxapex, earthquake doesn't actually trigger rocky helmet so you're probably better off switching it for leftovers or black sludge (since you said you chose rocky helmet because of earthquake). I have seen rocky helmet Toxapex sets though, but since Toxapex is more of a tank, I see leftovers/black sludge more useful as they help you survive longer.

Run thunderwave on togekiss and lose the scarf if you choose to keep it on your team
It can hinder speed, and serene grace flinch+paralysis will be annoying as hell. And running scarf roost makes no sense, if you do want to keep the scarf, run trick instead of roost so you can hinder any walls that may come in on it (they'll be locked into one move and most walls are too slow to make use of it anyway and won't be able to use healing moves). I'd say run Max speed, Max Spatk, 4HP, Fire Blast, Air Slash, Thunder Wave, Roost/Dazzling Gleam (Stab+coverage or healing if you prefer).

Spore on Smeargle is a necessity.

Mismagius is better as an offensive mon, stall breaking is better for stuff like sableye. If you really want to run that set though i'd say give it max speed/max hp timid, and be careful cause magi is pretty delicate

I wouldn't recommend having two fairy types. Something to take care of hazards would be optimal.

Clefable looks good just replace focus blast with calm mind, and take out some SpAtk investment and give it some Defense. And Toxapex looks good to go.

test your team on pokemon showdown before using it

Last edited:
Back