Have you ever converted a non AC fan into liking the game?

AquaMarie

Bells
Switch
5984-0766-6097
Winter Mittens
I'm hoping my fiance will give the game a try this time around. I honestly think he might enjoy it, if he's willing to give it a chance. I'd love to be able to hang out with him in game sometimes instead of, say, watching Netflix, which is much less interactive.

Have any of you had any positive experiences with enticing someone to play who was initially reluctant?

I got my little brother into WW. Idk if he’ll be getting NH though.

So far I have not. I don't usually talk about Animal Crossing with someone who has expressed no interest in it. That just wouldn't be a productive conversation to me. Plus it might just end up annoying the person if I keep trying to make them play something they don't care about.

Yes! I locked many people in a cellar and made them play until they became addicted and then I set them free!
The first rule about AC club is: you do not talk about AC club!
(≖︎ლ≖︎๑ )

Why not watch Netflix and play Animal Crossing?

But yeah, I got a few of my friends to get it in high school, but none of them got super into it. Same with Pocket Camp, and at least that was free, so I got the people who didn't have a 3DS into it, too.
I'll probably try and do the same with New Horizons, honestly.

yes i have!! i mentioned to my partner about wild world and stuff being childhood games, had a spare copy of wildworld so i lent it to him, he is now fully hooked. for our 6 month anniversary i bought him new leaf and he is fully invested in that as well. Its gonna be so good when we both get NH and can play together <3

Definitely. I got my elder sister into New Leaf. She's kinda sad she can't create her new island when New Horizons arrives because that one console one island rule, although she'll still able to play in my island

I purposely tell people not to buy the game after they ask. I describe it the best way I can, including why it has such an appeal to me, then advise against the purchase.

That rids me of any guilt associated with them buying the game and not liking it.

Last edited:
I purposely tell people not to buy the game after they ask. I describe it the best way I can, including why it has such an appeal to me, then advise against the purchase.

That rids me of any guilt associated with them buying the game and not liking it.

LOL I kinda do this too. But I ask them what their game preferences are and usually based on what they tell me I advise them not to buy it. A lot of the time I'm right anyways. They say they bought it because they saw how much fun I have with it but realise it's not for them and quit playing soon after. I don't really have guilt associated with it but I'm just trying to save them some money lol, I know this game isn't for everyone. I have converted at least one friend IRL though. They dont actively play ACNL anymore but she's waiting on ACNH to come out and created a discord group for us all to play together once it does :') I'm glad because it's nice some friends IRL understand my love for the game. My best friend (who was one of those people who wasn't interested in AC before) is going to get NH based on what I showed her in the trailers. Funnily, it seems like the new crafting element is what sold her to the game because it reminded her of Stardew and Portia which she likes, while most AC fans have mixed feelings about crafting.

I debated posting this or not, but I realized that almost every guy I've either dated or was in a stage where we might date (of which there are not many) has either 1) bought AC 2) loaned AC from me or 3) said they'd buy the next AC to play with me.

I never tried to convince them that they had to get it, but I suppose they knew how much I liked it and thought that it'd be a way to bond together.

You're welcome, Nintendo. :cool: jk

definitely! i got my mom into playing it and now she's better than me. also some of my friends will probably purchase the game. i'm so excited :)

I attempted to, once. It didn't go well and we are no longer friends. Because this and that resorted to them insulting me... and they were not nice insults.

Animal Crossing showed me their true colours...

Last edited:
I attempted to, once. It didn't go well and we are no longer friends. Because this and that resorted to them insulting me... and they were not nice insults.

Animal Crossing showed me their true colours...

To be fair, if you locked them in a cellar and you were unable to make them addicted, I guess they?d get upset. Don?t worry, at least you?ve got us lot here for ya 😉

No. I have a lot of friends ask me "If I liked Stardew Valley, will I like this game?" and I always answer this question in the same way: despite the fact that they may share the same genre, they really have nothing in common. Liking one will not imply they will like the other, or vice versa. I love Animal Crossing but don't much care for Stardew Valley.

my grandpa is kind of anti-technology; like he'll use technology but he knows that he'll never understand it. my grandparents' first piece of tech outside of the basic things (microwave, home phone, tv, etc.) was a Wii, and we also had one at home. the reign of the Wii was at a time where my siblings and i couldn't stay home alone, so whenever my mom or dad were gone from the home he typically watched us, and we liked to play the Wii together. after i discovered and got accf, he wanted to play it and he was hooked ever since. ive never seen him play any other video games haha

I got my friend to play NL for a while, but I think she ultimately lost interest over time... she lied her villagers, but I think she just needed "more stuff to do" she was a COD type of player though so it was a long stretch

I am going to get my bf to play with me once the game comes out. He has never played video games, like in general and he's only joined in on few occasions to the typical games I play with my sister in smash and mario kart which are like technical and fast pace. I honestly think he is going to really like it though since its a more passive and experience based game rather than getting joy out of succeeding like in the others. My sister and her husband may also live on my island, but a lot of factors are gonna go into whose allowed to live on it lol

To be fair, if you locked them in a cellar and you were unable to make them addicted, I guess they’d get upset. Don’t worry, at least you’ve got us lot here for ya &#55357;&#56841;

Nope, definitely did not do such a thing. It was just a conversation I brought up and it lead to very disturbing insults directed towards me.

They were pretty Rated M insults, bordering Rated R...

I have a friend who really enjoyed Animal Crossing. One day my cousin told him about perfect towns, grass degradation, etc. The friend now feels like Animal Crossing is ruined for him because he's not playing it the "right way". So my cousin has converted an AC fan into a non-AC fan.

I forgot to share my story. I got so caught up with cellars!!

Ok so with my friends, I told them all about the different characters and what they would do and different places I?d hang out. How we were able to build up a town in desperate need of donations by fundraising and how Lloyd would stand out in all weather conditions to accept those donations. I was so excited when we built the coffee shop and I could get coffees to go and my own unique flavour. How I liked to go and get my hair done and go shopping. Check out the museum at night...You get the gist. And they all wanted to play!!! But they couldn?t, because they were all in my head 🙃.

Jokes aside though, that?s how I get people to play stuff. And I have had friends buy the game and love it 💖

- - - Post Merge - - -

my grandpa is kind of anti-technology; like he'll use technology but he knows that he'll never understand it. my grandparents' first piece of tech outside of the basic things (microwave, home phone, tv, etc.) was a Wii, and we also had one at home. the reign of the Wii was at a time where my siblings and i couldn't stay home alone, so whenever my mom or dad were gone from the home he typically watched us, and we liked to play the Wii together. after i discovered and got accf, he wanted to play it and he was hooked ever since. ive never seen him play any other video games haha

That’s so sweet!!!

Back