• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Has anyone noticed there's a possibility of changing the villagers' exercising clothes?

Bells
I started to notice this when I gave Pashmina a Bulldog jacket a few months ago, it became her exercising clothes, she used to wear a red athletic jacket (her actual default exercising clothes), but recently, she has been wearing a Bulldog jacket whenever she works out, I even saw her wearing it during the Bug-Off on the title screen. Same also applies to Bud, who used to wore a green athletic jacket as his default alongside his sporty shades (since he has the Fitness hobby), but when I gave him a muscle tank, he now always works out with the muscle tank, and it is more obvious with Bud, since he wears sporty shades when exercising. There was even this one time on my last island when I gave Mira a workout top, and she started to exercise exclusively with the workout top. I thought villagers wore their athletic jackets when exercising. Is this normal?

Last edited:
this is normal! it’s probably not a 100% guarantee that your villagers will change what workout clothes they wear every time you gift them new ones, just like when you gift them any kind of clothes, but it can happen! you can also change what umbrella villagers hold (minus the frogs) during rainfall by gifting them a different one :)

this is normal! it’s probably not a 100% guarantee that your villagers will change what workout clothes they wear every time you gift them new ones, just like when you gift them any kind of clothes, but it can happen! you can also change what umbrella villagers hold (minus the frogs) during rainfall by gifting them a different one :)
Thanks for the confirmation. The weirdest thing about Mira on my last island was that she rarely wore her athletic jacket (one incident of her actually wearing it was in the fishing tournament), on multiple occasions when she was working out, she wore a red down jacket and some red hat alongside her sporty shades, and this was past winter, so it made it even weirder.

I gave Cherry a black dance team jacket once, and now she wears it every time she works out, even though it's not her hobby. Same thing with Poncho - I gave him a yellow football shirt, and he wears that every time he works out, and he's got the fitness hobby.

I suppose as long as the shirt is one of the villager's favorite colors, there's a chance that they'll wear it when working out. The shirt has to be qualified by the game as athletic, however. You won't ever see villagers work out in heavy coats, for example. That's a little weird.

I have been giving an islander a new shirt to wear cause I no longer like the one he is currently wearing and for some reason he hasn't changed into it yet.

Yeah, I'm well aware of this. I think I read about this on Nookipedia (can't recall the specific article though), and I consider it to be at least somewhat reliable for this topic; those articles were composed by people who know what they're talking about. I also have firsthand experience with this; I have changed Kody's exercise outfit multiple times over the span of the past 2 or so months.

When it comes to clothing in general, villagers will definitely wear outfits that either match their favorite style and/or one of their favorite colors. The stuff you see on Nookipedia is actually data that was collected from their users that have access to the game’s files, and each villager is assigned certain codes that enables them to favor certain things over others. In some older games, villagers even have a style that they dislike and will never wear clothes that match their dislike. That’s not the case in this game AFAIK, as I’ve seen male villagers get adventurous sometimes.

Yes!! I love it. I give my jocks so many workout clothes just because it fits their aesthetic and I like that they exercise in them! Teddy exercises in his cycling shirt!

Back