• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Golden shovel

Todd1122

Bells
I know for a fact I have helped gulliver more than 30 times because I have all 29 items. What's even more proof is I have duplicates in different colors and I have been waiting almost a week since last helping him for another duplicate item and still have not received the golden shovel diy. Nintendo needs to fix this glitch

Did you get all of the items from Gulliver, or did you trade for/buy any from other players? I just got the golden shovel DIY two weeks ago when Gulliver was on my island last, so if it's a glitch, then it's not affecting everyone. There was no waiting involved. I just checked my mailbox the morning after helping him and he had sent a letter with the DIY card attached instead of the normal item.

This happened to me, and I was counting. I got it after something like 35 - 40 visits, I think it had something to do with me aquiring one of his items before he gave it to me, not sure.

Yeahh, i know ive done more than 30 and still havent gotten my golden shovel either

Same here. I am always hoping that the next thing he sends me is the Golden Shovel DIY, because IT IS THE LAST GOLDEN TOOL DIY I NEED! I HAVE THE GOLDEN NET, GOLDEN ROD, GOLDEN WATERING CAN, GOLDEN AXE, AND GOLDEN SLINGSHOT DIYs... I am only missing the shovel, and I cannot seem to get it.

TFW Nintendo makes the shovel harder to get than the GOLDEN ROD and NET!

I felt the same way but I finally got it last month. it took forever. one thing you could do if you dont mind a little tting is when he shows up help him then change the date, reenter the game, and change the date back. by doing this you could help him a bunch of times quickly and hopefully get the shovel diy.

It took over a year with no time traveling. Got it on April 13th.
Kept track with the amount of Rusted parts before Pirate Gulliver arrived. After Pirate Gulliver arrived I wrote the date down and took a screenshot. Pirate Gulliver doesn't count.

Did you get all of the items from Gulliver, or did you trade for/buy any from other players? I just got the golden shovel DIY two weeks ago when Gulliver was on my island last, so if it's a glitch, then it's not affecting everyone. There was no waiting involved. I just checked my mailbox the morning after helping him and he had sent a letter with the DIY card attached instead of the normal item.
I most definitely did not trade with others all the items I got were from gullivar himself I have 36 letters from him in my mailbox all gifts attached and opened. Unless the time traveling trick no longer works on gulliver which is unfair

I have been playing over a year and still don’t have it. I wish there was a better way to track and see how many more times you have to help Gulliver before you can get the golden shovel DIY.

So bizarre that I was just wondering the same thing after looking at my milestones and realized that the shovel was missing. Glad that I am not the only experiencing this.

Yeah I feel like I should had gotten the shovel by now and every time I see him on the beach I think 'Alright, this should be the time' but then I don't get the diy in mail or person.

Are you sure its Gulliver, not gullivaar? I don't think gullivaar can give the diy because i hit the nook miles mark for helping him 20 times and I got a pirate bandana instead of the diy.

Are you sure its Gulliver, not gullivaar? I don't think gullivaar can give the diy because i hit the nook miles mark for helping him 20 times and I got a pirate bandana instead of the diy.
Yep. The golden shovel DIY is for helping Gulliver, and Gulliver alone, 30+ times. Despite counting for the Gulliver's travel achievement, the times you help Gullivarr don't count toward your total for the shovel.

There may be something to the theory of it being randomly awarded after you've gotten all the unique items.

I don't have it yet either. I've only missed one week of playing because of the February winter storm in Texas this year. Those six days were the first time I didn't play any ACNH.

I know for a fact I have helped gulliver more than 30 times because I have all 29 items. What's even more proof is I have duplicates...

Thank you so so much! Your post and this thread have me feeling so much better. I came close to rage-quitting this week when I got yet another sombrero.

I'm really hoping that the recipe is a random after thirty+ visits and not a glitch. Either way, I am still mad as hell.

I also don't have the golden shovel yet, even though I've been playing since last April, and I feel like I must have helped Gulliver (not Gullivarr) more than thirty times by now. Either I'm mistaken about the count, which is possible, since I wasn't keeping close track, and I did buy a Gulliver hat in a color I wanted from someone once, or it's not actually tied to the thirtieth time you help him, and only has a chance of appearing after that.

Last edited:
It took me over a year of playing everyday to finally get the golden shovel! And then I was disappointed when I did get it because it’s just a shovel... at least I finally got the golden tools achievement.

Yeah it was really tough for me to get as well. In my opinion, it's the hardest golden tool to get, especially if you started playing after they nerfed his appearances. Also it was hard to keep track because while Gullivarrr counts towards the Nook Miles achievement, his quest don't count towards the golden shovel and I had gotten Gulliver items through my side character and through trades. TBH, there were days where I would TT forward and backward to do his quest again just so I could get the shovel.

Back