Strawberry Doll
Tortimer
Shadow Kitty Plush
Rosewater Potion
Blue Rosewater Potion
Rose Crystal
Lily of the Valley
Pavé Pink Feather
I hope this is okay to ask for help on this, mods.

I signed up for a Secret Santa and that all went well. Unfortunately, some people sign up for these just to get something and end up stiffing their person, so I also signed up as a rematcher for someone who didn't get anything in the first round.

I got my person yesterday, and I'm having a little trouble coming up with ideas (or, I have ideas, but I don't know if they are feasible), so I wanted to see what the group comes up with.

The young man is 20 years old, a university student in Mexico, getting a degree in web design. He listed a few interests - hanging with friends, playing the ukulele, coffee mugs (not sure if that was a garbled translation and he means he loves coffee, rather than collecting mugs), cigars, and playing video games (Call of Duty, Fortnite, and Spiderman were listed as his favorites). His favorite book is The Little Prince.

I was thinking about getting some accessories for his ukulele - picks, strings, etc. - but I don't want to leave it at that. Not sending cigars, because 1) don't know if they'd get through customs and 2) just not sending cigars. I don't play those games, so maybe there is something connected with them that someone could tell me about?

I'll probably message him and see about getting clarification on the mug/coffee thing. Something to do with his field would be nice, as well, but again, I'm out of my depth.

I'd like to have at least some of the things in Spanish/reflecting his country, since I don't want to do the arrogant American thing of "everyone knows English". Yeah, you know what I mean, right?

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts, especially regarding the games or common interests in that age group (it's been a very long time since I was 20!), I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

If the coffee mug thing turns out to be just coffee, I'd say send him various coffee brews, who doesn't like free food/drinks? Like different flavors so they can pick and choose which ones they do like or maybe try somethin new. Or like coffee accessories, like stir sticks or other coffee stuff (I don't drink coffee so Irdk)

As for the game stuff, maybe a controller if you can find out precisely which gen console he has (and a cheaper one, some controllers are expensive). Spiderman shows up as a PlayStayion 4 game, but I know there are a few Spiderman games that have been on different gen consoles. Call of Duty shows up as being both Xbox and Playstayion.

As for the book, maybe other books written by the same author or books with a similar genre?

Hope this helps some😅

20 year old computer science student here!

When i'm in doubt, I usually get a large thing and fill it with small things! Like maybe a coffee mug (the little prince themed or web design related?) filled with small things like stickers or enamel pins relevant to his interests? You can find enamel pins for just about anything.
I saw some cute ones on etsy that are web-design related!

I like the idea of a coffee mug and I'd probably put a steam gift card in it personally (even if 15 dollars, you can get some interesting games or dlc for current games he has with that). There's a lot of little prince themed coffee mugs on etsy in a reasonable price range which would be fitting! The picks would fit in it too. :) I think if you want something in spanish, I'd find a source to help you write a card/note in spanish wishing him well etc - which will be meaningful to see the effort!

Only three ideas since everything else is taken. Maybe a spiderman jacket and a 20$ stean gift card. I was thinking about a ukulele case for his ukulele but l don't know if he needs one or he needs a new one.

Thank you all for your ideas. I haven't heard back from him about what type of ukulele he plays, or the coffee thing, so I went ahead with some stuff that didn't require answers.

Unfortunately, there is a fairly long list of items that Mexico does not allow in, and since I don't want to risk the package getting stuck at customs, I decided to play it safe.

I got some felt ukulele picks, which I understand is the traditional material. A friend of mine plays guitar, but he has some knowledge, and steered me toward a brand that is reputable. I also got a small humidor and a travel case for his cigars. They're a little more grown up, so hopefully he'll appreciate them.

That pretty much killed my budget, although I may see if I can find a songbook for the ukulele to add in. It might not be the most exciting box, but I hope he likes it and is able to use everything.

Well, it seems like you have everything put together. Good for you! About the language or culture barrier...I wouldn't stress too much about the items being in Spanish. Let me tell you why:

1. I've frequently seen my parents read badly translated Spanish instructions and then either switch to the English version or pass it to me to decipher.

2. English is taught there at an early age. I'm willing to bet that at an academic level he'll be able to understand it at a basic level.

3. I don't know about him...but if I were participating in a gift exchange that isn't region locked, then I would expect some interesting international stuff regardless of the cost or if I can understand the language. Sometimes the anticipation of unboxing is just as enjoyable as the present.

If you really want to send something in Spanish, I would go with Meo's idea of writing a note.

Regarding customs, yeah, if you want to be safe I would stay away from food items. A rule of thumb regarding food is if it isn't factory sealed, then I wouldn't send it. My mom did mention something about having the receipts with you. Oh, and watch out for the pound and size limit. They are very strict about that.

Back