Gaming in public

i never really find myself wanting to play in public, prefer listening to music or podcasts, think the only time i've played in public is on a flight

I don't really game in public. It kind of takes away the purpose of handheld consoles, but I'm really self conscious a lot of the time. The only time I played games in public was on a flight and at school and at the mall with one of my friends.

Nope, not unless I'm like right outside my house or if I'm in my car. I don't think people need to know that I play video games-- idk if it's me but with a lot of people that know me irl, I don't think they consider me as someone who plays video games. There's definitely a huge stigma around playing vidya and being unproductive (which I am too, ngl), and I don't really want to be perceived that way, ya know??

I don't take my 3ds out when I'm with kids my age or younger because they'll always ask to play it, and get really annoyed when I say no. That or they'll just be super annoying and try to knock it out of my hands. Had that happen after I'd finished a boss battle in a game, got super mad, but the kid was nice about it so I didn't act annoyed.

I also don't usually take out my electronics in my grandma's house because she'll look at me and say "You're always playing on your electronics." News flash, there's nothing else to do at your house.

I'm not ashamed of gaming in public, but I never do. I just don't see the need to I guess, if I'm out in public I'm probably busy doing other things haha. When I'm commuting I just do homework or listen to music. Plus I'd be super paranoid of losing my systems.

Sometimes I carry my 3DSs with me to play NL at for an instance restaurant, cafe, etc. or while I know I'll have to wait long in my car to pickup someone.
I do so because I regularly tend to get swamped with stuff in real life and sometimes it makes me obviously lacking time to play. And I'm absolutely in need of playing my towns, to stay sane.
I wouldn't say it isn't somewhat awkward at times, when people like elserlies stare at me with headphones and consoles in my hands at restaurant etc. But I couldn't care enough about it that I'd giveup relaxing in my towns.

I don?t usually game in public, but there are days where sometimes my boyfriend and I will go hang out at a bar or a restaurant, and I don?t feel like socializing so I?ll whip out my 3DS and play animal crossing or Pok?mon. I don?t mind what people think of me, I?d be willing to play it anywhere, I just don?t want to lose my 3DS or drain the battery most of the time because I?m busy and my 3DS is my prized possession! I would hate to drop it or accidentally lose a cartridge. So I?d say occasionally, because when I?m out in the world I?m usually busy with other things.

No, I don’t game in public. I find it pointless when 99% of the time, if I’m outside in public there’s something else I’m going to be doing instead.

I probably played the bulk of the Pheonix Wright Trilogy at my last job. My supervisor saw me playing once, and found out he was a huge fan of the franchise, he wanted to know what I thought about Trials and Tribulations. ...I still working on finishing it. Also started bringing my Switch to work once I got one, mostly played the Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Used to play my 3DS on the shuttle to my university too. Don?t really bring my 3DS or Switch anywhere now though, don?t have time play at my current job.

Not very often. I used to occasionally play Animal Crossing on the bus on my 3DS, but that's about it. I have brought my 3DS into uni a handful of times, but I don't really feel the need to take it anywhere and use gaming consoles in public to be honest. I'm usually out doing something or hanging out with others, so yeah I don't really need it.

It feels weird for me to play video games in public especially on transit, so I never do that.
If i do play games, it's usually like in a secluded area of the library or something.

I used to take my DS with me on the bus as a kid. It's definitely small enough to not get noticed like this. Now as an adult I feel it would be more awkward since it's unusual to see, but also the Switch is pretty big with the screen. I'd feel like everybody would watch the game with me. Only upside is that the Switch comes with local coop and two controllers, so it seems practical on a train or any other long travel. But I haven't got the chance to try that one yet.

I used to but don't really get the chance to anymore.

If I'm outside the house there's a good chance it's because I'm going somewhere or doing something and don't have the opportunity to sit and play games. Whether it be shopping, picking something up, dropping something off, etc.

Or I'm out with somebody doing something, and I'm not the type of person to sit there ignorantly on my phone or console when I'm supposed to be hanging out with people. If we're out, we're probably doing something, not just sitting there ignoring each other.

I did used to play my 3DS when I was travelling on the bus or whatever but I drive now so I don't really get the chance to do so. I did get the train into Manchester a few months ago because it's infinitely more convenient than driving there and did take my Switch with me...Which was a poor decision because I didn't know just how awful the battery life was until that day. Should have taken my 3DS.

I've played a few matches of Splat2 at a Starbucks with my pro controller.

But outside of that event..nah.

Last edited:
i used to bring my 3ds out with me, i've gotten too old to care about what others think about me lol

i would bring my switch, the only thing preventing me is the clunkiness of it all. i'm eyeing that switch lite though.

I probably played the bulk of the Pheonix Wright Trilogy at my last job. My supervisor saw me playing once, and found out he was a huge fan of the franchise, he wanted to know what I thought about Trials and Tribulations. ...I still working on finishing it. Also started bringing my Switch to work once I got one, mostly played the Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Used to play my 3DS on the shuttle to my university too. Don’t really bring my 3DS or Switch anywhere now though, don’t have time play at my current job.

Where did you work? that sounds so chill XD

Posting here again since it’s been a while and I mainly play on my switch now and not on 3ds. I feel like my switch is a bit too clunky to take out with me so despite it being a portable console I only ever play it at home. I also took my 3ds out with me to get streetpasses, even though I didn’t intend on playing it anywhere. Switch doesn’t do that so there’s really no point for me.

Back