Fortnite Chapter 2 Season 5 Review: WHY CAN'T I SKIP THE ADS??

The Foogle

Do you wanna get funky with me?
Bells
So today's the last day of Chapter 2 season 5 of Fortnite: Battle Royale and i wanted to review it to give my thoughts on what was added and how the season played out!

WHAT DID WE GET?
After the massive Devourer of Worlds event last season (which was entirely Marvel, mind you) The Zero Point was exposed, causing the middle of the map to become a barren desert that i called the Zero Point Badlands, where if you stood still for long enough in the sand, it would let you burrow underneath, allowing for rapid travel through the middle of the map. There were purple crystals covering the terrain as well, and when broken, would let you consume them for a fast-dash in any direction, which was helpful for combat and transportation. Along this, new POIs were also added, including the jungle-esque Stealthy Stronghold, the massive gladiator arena Colossal Colosseum, the apartment complex Hunter's Haven, and an interesting mashup of two classic drop points, Salty Springs and Tilted Towers, resulting in Salty Towers.

NEW WEAPONS
Along with the new areas, new weapons were also added to the game. The vastly inferior Lever Action Rifle was a terrible version of the infamous Hunting Rifle, with terrible accuracy at the cost of 80 damage per shot. This was tweaked, however, to have better accuracy as the season went on, giving us a decent sniper. On the shotgun side, the new Lever Action Shotgun was added, making it an interesting mix of the devastating Pump Shotgun (which was vaulted AGAIN) and the multi-fire Tactical Shotgun, making a powerhouse of a shotgun that was reliable in combat.

WAIT...IT'S ALL COLLABS?
However, this season was not the best in terms of in-game content, as more effort was put into endless collaborations with other media, which ruined the experience with just another product placement. The Battle Pass was once again plagued with 2 collab skins, being The Mandalorian from the Star Wars TV series of the same name, and the Predator from the infamous Predator movie. These weren't bad collabs by any means, but after an entire crosover season with Marvel just previously, the onslaught of collabs took away from the originality of Fortnite, making the game seem like a giant ad. If there were less of these, or time was put into making them be impactful, they might have been better, but alas, there was absolutely no story progression because of this.

HOW MANY WERE THERE?
Well, to put it in perspective:

Mandalorian
Predator
Kratos
Master Chief
Walking Dead
Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and Taskkmaster (sold in a bundle)
Terminator
Tron
Snake Eyes (G.I. Joe)
Green Arrow
Flash
Xenomorph/Ellen Ripley (Aliens)
Street Fighter
Ant-man

You can see how infuriating this got over time.

FORTNITE CREW

However, it wasn't all bad for cosmetics this season. A concept of a subscription service was launched this season called Fortnite Crew, which, for $11.99 a month, you got exclusive cosmetics every month, 1,000 V-Bucks, and the current season's Battle Pass. This was an amazing deal and i look forward to seeing what they put in the next month's Crew Pack

FINAL THOUGHTS:
This season, while showing good signs of originality, was hindered vastly by the amount of collabs we got this season. This should be a sign that we don't want to see these all the time, and i hope they are lessened or toned down as Chapter 2: Season 6 launches.

So in short, I give this Season a 6/10

Back