• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Flower Frustrations (UPDATED 3-28-2021)

Valzed

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜
Bells
Switch
2305-9568-2503
Island
Amity
Spectral Preserves
Raven Wings Potion
Shadow Kitty Plush
Gourdy
Opalescent Crystal
Gleaming Butterfly Spirit
Black Famous Mushroom
Quirky Doll
Spirit Candy: Wix
Purple Bat Potion
I have been trying for literally a year now to breed my own Blue Roses & Purple Windflowers. They are the last two hybrids I need to breed to have bred every single in game hybrid on my own. This was a goal I set for myself when I saw the new flower designs and new types. I have tried several different methods from the internet over the past year. The one I'm currently using seems the most detailed so when I first found it I had great hope of success. It's been months though and still nothing.

Part of the breeding plan for the blue roses calls for a certain type of blue rose. To test if you have the right type of blue rose you test breed it with a seed yellow rose. If you get a yellow offspring you've got the right type of blue rose & can move forward. If you get a white offspring the blue rose is a dud and you need a new blue rose. I have devoted an area of my island to growing nothing but blue roses and STILL haven't gotten one of the ones I need. All I get is duds! ARGH! As far as Purple Windflowers I thought it would be easier and technically it is. However, the spawn rate is only about 7% so it's taking much longer than I had hoped.

I have a plan for an orchard/flower farm area for one part of my island. I've had most of it set up for at least 6 months and thought by now I'd be finished it because I'd have ALL the hybrids. Nope. Yes, I know I could easily buy Blue Roses & Purple Windflowers but I really, really, really want the satisfaction of having bred all of the hybrids in the game by myself. I just never, ever imagined I'd still be at it a full year later. Sigh.

Thanks for letting me vent. If you've had or are currently having issues breeding any of the hybrids feel free to vent away as well. We can be united in our flower frustrations.

Last edited:
Same, but with purple windflowers and purple pansies! For the first few months after launch I basically let my island run wild with flowers, and ended up breeding every other hybrid pretty much by accident. Once I gave my island more structure and actually organised the flowers, I discovered that I absolutely suck at trying to breed them on purpose. It takes SO long to try out each method, and partway through I always end up forgetting what I was doing. I've pretty much given up at this point, but like you, I don't want to buy them!

I had so much trouble with the purple wildflowers as well. First of all I realized I was trying to grow them with flowers I got from my friends island not seeds so thats why I was getting no where. Then I got seeds and I was growing them in a large patch to try to maximize my chances but then I felt like that also got really confusing for me and I had to make very sure I was keeping the "good" and "bad" flowers separated between each step. Which then also lead me to having to restart with fresh seeds on a few occasions.

I didn't even try the roses on my own in all honesty 😅 I did all the other hybrids myself but for the blue roses I noped out.

Anyway all this is to say you aren't alone in the flower struggle. I would be happy to come and water your flowers sometime if you wanted some help that way :)

Purple windflowers were lucky for me, because windflowers are my native, and I was able to get hybrid flowers from an island before they changed that. Breeding the blue roses almost broke me.

I ended up using the Asteriation 4-Step Method, which took some time, but did produce blue roses. Once I had 1, I dug up all the others in my fenced area and cloned that one. When I had a breeding pair, it didn't take too long to get more. I needed a total of 10, and now I get random spawns from rain/snow.

It is possible, and the satisfaction you get from succeeding is very nice.

Look what I work up to this morning! A Purple Windflower! 90% of my efforts have been focused on Blue Roses yet I bred a Purple Windflower first! I was happy and laughing all at the same time. I am SO going to clone this bad boy!
purple_windflower_3_28_2021_by_valzed_degpxp5-pre.jpg

I've been trying on and off with Blue Roses. I used to have people come onto my island to water them every night, but now I'm more or less just letting the rain do the work and see if I reap any rewards. Definitely not an easy task :(

I used this method for 25% chance of blue roses! 100% fool proof and no need for testing. Definitely recommend it!

I used a trillion different methods and took 8 months before finding this one, but after that it took me 3 weeks before getting those precious blues! I also had people water my flowers at least twice a week, so that helped out a lot.

If anyone reading this thread is missing purple or blue windflowers and doesn't want to breed them I have a few extras on my beach that I couldn't get myself to throw away so they're free to anyone who wants them! (2 purple ones and at least 10 blues)

Part of the breeding plan for the blue roses calls for a certain type of blue rose. To test if you have the right type of blue rose you test breed it with a seed yellow rose. If you get a yellow offspring you've got the right type of blue rose & can move forward. If you get a white offspring the blue rose is a dud and you need a new blue rose. I have devoted an area of my island to growing nothing but blue roses and STILL haven't gotten one of the ones I need. All I get is duds!
I'm a little confused, do you already have a blue rose and are trying to breed more, or was the above a typo? Because if so, you're good. You only need to breed one blue rose, and then from that point devote all of your energy on cloning it and then cloning those clones. That's how I went from 2 to 266 blue roses in only a few weeks.

Part of the breeding plan for the blue roses calls for a certain type of blue rose. To test if you have the right type of blue rose you test breed it with a seed yellow rose. If you get a yellow offspring you've got the right type of blue rose & can move forward. If you get a white offspring the blue rose is a dud and you need a new blue rose. I have devoted an area of my island to growing nothing but blue roses and STILL haven't gotten one of the ones I need.
I'm going to assume you meant to say you need a certain type of purple rose. A common mistake people make with the Folklore / Paleh methods is that they breed 2 white roses together for a purple rose and then start testing that with a yellow rose. This test will always produce a white rose. What you need to do is take a seed yellow + seed white rose and breed them together to get a white rose and then take that white rose and breed it with your seed white + seed white purple rose until you get another purple rose and then test that purple rose with a seed yellow rose. Note that even a "good" purple rose will still produce a white rose 50% of the time when crossed with a seed yellow rose, so don't just give up on your purple rose after one try. If your purple rose + seed yellow produces a white rose 3 or 4 times in a row, then you can toss it since it's very unlikely to be a good purple rose at that point. If the test produces a yellow rose at any point, then it's good no matter how many white roses the test produced before.

Look what I work up to this morning! A Purple Windflower! 90% of my efforts have been focused on Blue Roses yet I bred a Purple Windflower first! I was happy and laughing all at the same time. I am SO going to clone this bad boy!
purple_windflower_3_28_2021_by_valzed_degpxp5-pre.jpg

congratulations!!! i honestly haven’t bred any of my flowers myself but i wish you luck with the blue roses! those things can definitely be a pain in the ass. 🤣💜

I'm also doing all the hybrids myself. I put off the blue roses for a long time, but recently started the with the process in Paleh's ACNH Flower Genetics Guide, and am almost done. It was very detailed and has worked perfectly for me so far, so it might be worth a try!

I'd also recommend using path & patterns to make labelled 1x3 breeding cells. It's easier to keep track of what hidden genes flowers have, esp if like me you need a break for a few days to run around doing other projects, and don't want rain or your memory messing things up in the meantime.

One dirt for parent, other dirt for child, non-growable path in between (that's easy to see your labels on). I also wrote what color and gene the child should have, so I'll know which to keep/throw away without having to check the guide every time.

2021032919495300-02CB906EA538A35643C1E1484C4B947D.jpg

I also keep spares of intermediate hybrids I'm done with in 1x1 cells of their own in a hidden corner of my island, just in case!

Blue Roses I found out can clone each other once you grow more of them. Gold roses still can't clone each other needs to be 2 black roses so there is a 50-50 chance that it can turn into a Red rose, black rose, or Gold rose.

I always plant my flowers in a "X cross" way so it makes it easy for me to see which flowers will start to clone which. I spent all year trying to grow hybrids and I gotta say I'm proud for growing my own blue roses and gold roses.

Back