• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

EVERYTHING learned from PAX East!

jiojiop

Pitfall Disposal Trainee
Bells
Tasty Cake
Cake
Tasty Cake
Chocolate Cake
Tasty Cake
0aT5IBy.png
s2jtjNN.png
3lKaL1D.png
gnWQGO9.png
3lKaL1D.png
s2jtjNN.png
0aT5IBy.png

Big News

? new horse villager is named Reneigh and she's all but guaranteed to be Uchi (read more!)

attachment.php

? glowing spots give bells and there appear to be 3 in one day

mxcJMkR.gif

? custom face paint designs + how changing gender setting looks like - seems that facepaint only applies to forehead and cheeks

gGNL2Yc.jpg

57iJsmm.png

? Blathers' comments for donations are back (src) (read more!)

xVWJAzO.png

? Drop-off box outside Nook's store, similar to Stardew Valley, allows you to deposit items you want to sell even when the store is closed! (for a small handling fee) (read more!)

ljrnfoM.png

Earth-Shattering News

? you can break rocks with fruit-powered energy and get "stone" resource (so rocks must respawn, right?)

0aBxyxG.gif

Medium News

? you can zoom out and move the camera to an overhead view by clicking in the right control stick

? Message in a Bottle have DIY recipes inside (src)

Phj2vGF.jpg

? new dinosaur fossil: Ophthalmosaurus

2livl52.png

? new butterfly species: Paper Kite Butterfly

? you can hear 2 different hourly town tunes (listen here!)

? vaulting poles do NOT break (as we all suspected!)

? C.J. shows up on your island not just for fishing tourneys, but also to buy fish and give you fishing challenges, with collectibles that his partner (who???) made as a reward (read more!)

4Fdj9JC.png

Little Details

? villagers interact with outdoor furniture (Bianca checks herself out in the vanity mirror)

? you can use trash (like cans you 'catch' when fishing) to craft

? fruit furniture actually requires fruit to craft! So you will need all fruits to craft the whole set

? there is a daily login bonus for Nook Miles, plus changing daily challenges

? crafting materials stack up to 30, fruit to 10, bells to 99, paint may stack to 50 or 99

YmiXu14.png

? blue and black roses exist

OZqltJi.png
4P3IeGr.png

? new towerlike flowers are called hyacinths. They come in at least red, yellow, white, blue, and purple

fo1SD2L.png

? new 5-petal anemone-like flowers are called windflowers. They come in at least white, red, orange, pink, and blue

k1uJlGh.png

? new puffy flowers are called mums (short for chrysanthemums)

? we get Nook Miles rewards for our tools breaking (?Trashed Tools? challenge)

? you can jump over holes! Might need holes 2 layers deep to trap villagers now?

? potted plants can be placed outside

? you have to donate a certain number of bugs and fish, then fossils to open their respective wings in the Museum

? Able Sisters store hours are 9AM to 9PM (at least to start)

? villagers ping you 3 times by shouting your name with a speech bubble before giving up (take pity on Nate please)

? UFOs are back, baby! Better not watch TV late at night...

Possibly Disappointing Details

? there was no place in the museum for an art gallery, though it may just require expansion

LQoNtvN.png

? residents list space looks limited, and it looked like players take up space on that list. However, it may scroll when you get more villagers rather than limiting the number of villagers you have in town based on how many players

KEXJshB.png

? the beach balls we?ve seen only bounce in place when interacted with. They can?t be punted about like they could on GC

? the back wall of Able Sisters is indeed custom designs? and they don?t have pants or shoes there. Just hats, dresses, and shirts

? villagers teach you emotes. So long, Dr. Shrunk? (src)

Thanks

Thanks for posting videos:
Amilee, bubbleblib, moo-kun, Ossiran

Thanks for posting info:
bubbleblib, Colette, Fey, Jezdayy, kemdi, Khaelis, Luca, mae, MKInfinite, Pelikuni, pichupal, pinkfawn, WhitBit

Thanks to these video channels:
BobbyWasabi, Gamespot, GameXplain, GreatFairyCari, KnowTechie, MissFushi, Naveed, Pokemon Go San Diego, Rizahawk

BtTG2Cz.png

Last edited:
For the windflowers, they definitely come in white, red and orange and these are likely the 'default' colours, as you can purchase orange windflower seeds from Timmy/Tommy.

• you can hear 2 different hourly town tunes (listen here!)

For a second, I thought you meant 2 hourly tunes in the same hour.

- - - Post Merge - - -

• residents list space looks limited, and it looked like players take up space on that list. However, it may scroll when you get more villagers rather than limiting the number of villagers you have in town based on how many players

KEXJshB.png

]

Definitely there will be scrolling or reorganization of the menu. Keep in mind you can have 8 PLAYERS on the same island. Then revisit the concern.

Last edited:
I thought I saw the paint stack beyond 30. Wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong.

I thought I saw the paint stack beyond 30. Wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong.

Pretty sure I saw some brief footage and the player had 47 of them, or about that much. Likely stacks to 50 or 99.

Pretty sure I saw some brief footage and the player had 47 of them, or about that much. Likely stacks to 50 or 99.

Yeah that's what I said in my original post about it. I'll insert my image.

|sf>You forgot one of the biggest reveals that no one has talked about. Part of it was shown in one of the videos (the one where the group reached Gulliver's Statue of Liberty object on the left side of the island). In the bottom left corner of the demo of the island, there is a dock. It even shows up on the map. At E3 and many other previews, there wasn't a dock, so it will be an optional building item that will be able to be built at a later time. Obviously whatever transportation is associated with that dock (whether it's Kap'n and/or the sailboat shown on the back of the special console), it will be the method for reaching Harvey's island and perhaps at least some of the lost NPCs like Redd, Katrina, and hopefully Tortimer.

The other minor thing you didn't mention that we saw in a video is that the museum starts off as only accepting bugs and fish. When Blathers talks to the new player, she has to talk to him two times--one was for the text for the new museum while the second block of text says that the fossil section is now open. That means that the museum will expand over time just like the city in New Leaf on 3DS started off with closed doors. Maybe to add on art to the museum, we have to reach and purchase a piece of art from Redd to present it to Blathers.

Yeah that's what I said in my original post about it. I'll insert my image.

My bad, I missed the end of that comment. But great work overall. I'm curious why the people couldn't donate the dragonfly to Blathers. Perhaps that was a feature they have disabled for the demo.

Nice work compiling it all. I did some stuff for a discord server I'm in, but some things you might want to add are:

Kicks will be appearing weekly.
Timmy and Tommy also sell Chrysanthemums, shortened to mums (to add to the flower list)
edit: Blather's progression seems to be:
  • Nothing
  • Tent (accepts donations one at a time)
  • Museum Opens, Displays Fish/Bugs only
  • Fossil Exhibit Opens, Now accepts multiple items

Some DIY Recipe Info:
  • Vaulting Pole: 5 Softwood
  • Ladder: 4 Wood, 4 Softwood, 4 Hardwood
  • Net/Shovel/Fishing Rod/Watering Can: 1 Iron Nugget, 1 Flimsy Tool
  • Stone Axe: 1 Flimsy Axe, 3 Wood
  • Axe: 1 Flimsy Axe, 3 Wood, 1 Iron Nugget

We seem to have two types of axe upgrade. If I had to guess, Stone Axes will NOT be able to chop down trees but still harvest wood, like the flimsy axe. The Axe is for when you want to chop down trees.

And some minor things:
Able Sister's hours from 9 AM to 9 PM
One of the Nook Miles categories that I will never be able to complete
Screenshot_20200228_022659.jpg

This is taken from this video that went up in the middle of the night of the stage performance, but it's hard to hear and a little rough. It also shows some Blathers blathering dialogue while he's still in the tent.

Last edited:
I'n just bound to try to catch a shark and fail and mess up my streak. I suck at fishing and have horrible reaction time, and the last level for this is definitely gonna be 100 in a row.

Edit: But it's worth mentioning fishing has three categories so far in Nook Miles, for Amount Caught, Collectipedia completion and this.

Last edited:
I'n just bound to try to catch a shark and fail and mess up my streak. I suck at fishing and have horrible reaction time, and the last level for this is definitely gonna be 100 in a row.

Just catch 50 sea bass. Probably will take an hour.

Edit: But it's worth mentioning fishing has three categories so far in Nook Miles, for Amount Caught, Collectipedia completion and this.

The trick is to close your eyes once you get the lure in the water and in front of the fish. It's easier to catch by sound than it is by sight. Also, in New Leaf, they never went after the bobber more than 4 times, so if they've teased you three, then on the fourth, they'll bite. Not sure if it's the same in New Horizons, but we'll find out in less than 3 weeks!

The trick is to close your eyes once you get the lure in the water and in front of the fish. It's easier to catch by sound than it is by sight. Also, in New Leaf, they never went after the bobber more than 4 times, so if they've teased you three, then on the fourth, they'll bite. Not sure if it's the same in New Horizons, but we'll find out in less than 3 weeks!

I agree with this. It seems to be far easier to get the sharks with sound than sight. I successfully catch sharks maybe 99% of the time using my hearing, but closer to 50% of the time if I use my vision.

In the bottom left corner of the demo of the island, there is a dock. It even shows up on the map. At E3 and many other previews, there wasn't a dock, so it will be an optional building item that will be able to be built at a later time. Obviously whatever transportation is associated with that dock (whether it's Kap'n and/or the sailboat shown on the back of the special console), it will be the method for reaching Harvey's island and perhaps at least some of the lost NPCs like Redd, Katrina, and hopefully Tortimer.

Every starter map you can choose from that we've seen has a dock, so I don't think it's optional.

I added the museum upgrade stuff, thanks!

I think we already knew about the tool upgrades. We've seen a lot of wild different tools too!
Added the Able Sisters hours, mums, and museum wing upgrade info, thanks!

Last edited:
|sf>Scratch what I said about the dock being buildable--there's another thread with starting island maps and it shows up on all the starting maps now, always blocked off from the starting location by a river.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together!

It makes me so happy to know that Nintendo have really listened to their players - everything we've asked for has pretty much been added as well as extras on top. I'm so happy they brought back blathers blathering, and I'm really excited to work on collecting Nook Miles as well. I liked the CAT machine aspect in NL so it'll be interesting to see how many achievements are available in NH.

Back