• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Etiquette for cataloging?

DaCoSim

#1 Filbert Fan!
Bells
Purple Hybrid Hyacinth
Blue Hybrid Hyacinth
White Rose
White Rose
White Rose
Blue Hybrid Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Golden Watering Can
OK, so to all of you that have been here awhile, what is the proper etiquette for cataloging? (ESPECIALLY when you have a FOR SALE post up, and they JUST ask if they can catalog). Do you charge? I took a break from cooking dinner so I could let someone in and let them catalog 6 items. After they picked everything up they did not even offer to leave any money, or trade cataloging or anything.

Can someone who's been here awhile PLEASE tell me what the proper etiquette for this would be.

Unless you specifically say "tips are appreciated as well" then people normally just grab, drop, "thanks", and be on their way

If I ask to catalog I usually offer a bell amount, but I offer a "tip" when somebody lets me do anything in their town (signature collecting, cataloging, etc.) because they're taking their time to let me do stuff in their town. Unless a person refuses my bells or specifically says "free" then I always leave a tip.

Cataloging usually means they grab the stuff, say thank you, and high tail it out of there. It's not usually for profit~

If you are trying to sell items and someone only wants to catalogue them, then I think it's fair to ask for some compensation.

In the case of doing a cataloging "giveaway," then it's really at their discretion. I wouldn't expect people to give a tip because then it's not really a giveaway.

I tip:

1- If the items are of significant value or are hard to achieve.
2- If they had to order the items specifically for me.

I usually tip when I catalog even though it maybe free. I guess it's similar when you get waited at a restaurant. You tip the waiter for serving your food and what not. It's like when people open there inventory for cataloging like a service. Of course there are people who don't tip but I think it's very good common courtesy to leave a tip.

As for your store you can charge if you want or do it for free. Just don't expect people to tip as often as you like (or as much) if it's free. People who let other people catalog for free are doing it out of good will and not really profit at that point.

I usually offer to bring something for them to catalog as well or just leave an extra hybrid I have around in their town as a tip, but if they come to my town, i've noticed most don't want a tip. :X I prefer to offer something rather than nothing though.

DJStarstryker's etiquette is slightly different from other peoples' definition of etiquette in that I'm waaaay more laidback than some people on these forums, looking at their typical rules postings.

Anyways, here's how I see it:

If I am in someone else's town, I never, ever do ANYTHING without asking first, just because some people are pretty strict about rules. This includes cataloging. I don't touch anything without asking.

For my town, I don't open the gates unless it's for a specific reason, so people generally can't surprise show up on me. Items laid out are always there for an advertised in advance reason. If the person is paying me for something and that's what was agreed upon, I expect them to pay, not just catalog for free. But if there was no paying arrangement, then people are free to catalog whatever sits out.

A few weeks ago for the Labor Day holiday, I let people catalog a bunch of furniture sets. I also had random stuff sitting out that people could take to keep and each person could only take 2 free things each. Some people were cataloging the other free things that they didn't take. Honestly, I didn't really mind. Some people with more strict rules might get upset about that though, especially because some of those people didn't ask (some did, just not all).

In my opinion, a small tip of 50k or so is just lovely. Seeing these "500k to catalog so and so items" just makes me cringe. Its like, that much just to pick and drop items up? Really?

I let people catalogue items for free. Unless you say before hand you want them to pay then don't expect pay. People here need to learn the difference between the word tip and the word fee ha. If you expect a tip.. it isn't really a tip anymore is it? Tis a fee. ha.

i always let people cat my stuff for free (IT'S THE EASIEST THING IN THE WORLD!)
but when i'm cataloging someone else's stuff i always ask "how much is this" or something idk

Back