• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

drawdling

Drawdler

Profile comments open to water flowers 💐✨
Bells
Switch
4463-2469-1897
Island
Gondwana
White Pansy
White Pansy
Purple Violet
White Violet
Yellow Rose
White Rose
White Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Golden Watering Can
Well, I do art often enough now and thought of posting it on the doodle thread often enough to make my own thread haha. I’ll repost the stuff I’ve left there later maybe because it’s not that bad, but here’s stuff.

I have a drawing I’m working on that should be done tomorrow or at least this week (I’m busy the day after), so also stay tuned for that… it’s going to need a background at a later point lol. But I have one sketched. But the character will be done! I mostly do sketches and many naked people I can’t share so my posts here will be erratic until I’m just faster and finish more stuff in a reasonable time, taking a week to fully render stuff sucks.

I learned of overlays and I went ham with different layer types on this. The bg was just to make it look more presentable here. Test thing but I got kind of attached to it.
constellation tentacle, it can twist space around it as it twists itself, and when it shoots ink that has a nebula-looking effect and it can reach in like the ink is wormhole to take stuff out. Maybe the suckers could have an effect on space/composition of objects as they touch
i didn’t mean for it to look holo at first but when it went that way it ended up turning into the space theme thing. Other ideas could include a faux-stripy look with whole constellations on it.

FBFA3B21-27F6-467E-A98A-A7F99958BA51.jpeg

leshy from inscryption (spoilers censored). Not really shaded but the shapes and ideas are there and since it was pretty freehand I was happy, my skill at drawing human faces has increased a lot even though I still can’t do many human expressions other than skepticism and sometimes disgust/rage. I need to practice skeletons again. Luckily he doesn’t call for much expression because he always has a tenacious glare. I had already drawn a bunch of hands looking at my own so I guess I didn’t really feel like rendering that day.

05AAE563-2B51-4EA1-8763-6C30C1ADBE64.jpg

Speaking of. My boyfriend and I love American Psycho fr fr. Drawing this was kind of a breakthrough as far as I still have to go. A little less outline on this face than usual and it made me feel good.

38817F58-1781-420B-A6F2-C706763EA23B.jpeg

old (sep 2021) that still holds up, this is from when i first got my apple pencil. The character is… my grosser rendition of double trouble from skylanders. I am not into the skylanders fandom and had too many bad experiences there but i adore the games so expect skylanders fanart every so often

B400D157-EB9E-4F10-974B-E401D254ABDC.jpeg

another oldie from august of that year that still holds up, never really finished it but it was going to be my profile pic for the time. Raven from guilty gear who is maybe my favorite character ever. Whenever i fall in love with a character it really pushes me to improve my faces and has been the absolute best motivator when it lasts. The grey sketch is more consistent looking so i also included that.

1A2B320B-8AF8-4761-AD29-81FA5735282F.jpeg

CD72F79E-C5F6-4B9A-B37F-A79F3842E192.jpeg

crusty himeno sketch, best girl. messiness shows and i was using an absolutely terrible pen and no real ratio for this but i was happy i put a bit of a scene with a bit of an angle together. I cropped pic 2 to show how this could work as the base for a phone background but I would still rather tighten the comp!

44B35BD3-3DCB-4C9B-8937-5D0E5EFD52A2.jpeg

A1EB7F7F-A2EE-4622-ACBF-5C6A0F6D5B16.jpeg

more gritty bowser sketch, i started doodling the face and like how it looked, this would be fun to refine/redo after more experience because I think I really got something started in the face
alligator and turtle posture is really fun, im out of practice with it but their arms and toes have such exaggerated gesture naturally and it is very cool

7270F57E-60CA-4901-8B6D-76E602219874.jpeg

6C2A122D-34D2-4F34-833C-6D51793F1909.jpeg

Well, I do art often enough now and thought of posting it on the doodle thread often enough to make my own thread haha. I’ll repost the stuff I’ve left there later maybe because it’s not that bad, but here’s stuff.

I have a drawing I’m working on that should be done tomorrow or at least this week (I’m busy the day after), so also stay tuned for that… it’s going to need a background at a later point lol. But I have one sketched. But the character will be done! I mostly do sketches and many naked people I can’t share so my posts here will be erratic until I’m just faster and finish more stuff in a reasonable time, taking a week to fully render stuff sucks.

I learned of overlays and I went ham with different layer types on this. The bg was just to make it look more presentable here. Test thing but I got kind of attached to it.
constellation tentacle, it can twist space around it as it twists itself, and when it shoots ink that has a nebula-looking effect and it can reach in like the ink is wormhole to take stuff out. Maybe the suckers could have an effect on space/composition of objects as they touch
i didn’t mean for it to look holo at first but when it went that way it ended up turning into the space theme thing. Other ideas could include a faux-stripy look with whole constellations on it.

View attachment 478245

leshy from inscryption (spoilers censored). Not really shaded but the shapes and ideas are there and since it was pretty freehand I was happy, my skill at drawing human faces has increased a lot even though I still can’t do many human expressions other than skepticism and sometimes disgust/rage. I need to practice skeletons again. Luckily he doesn’t call for much expression because he always has a tenacious glare. I had already drawn a bunch of hands looking at my own so I guess I didn’t really feel like rendering that day.

View attachment 478258

Speaking of. My boyfriend and I love American Psycho fr fr. Drawing this was kind of a breakthrough as far as I still have to go. A little less outline on this face than usual and it made me feel good.

View attachment 478261

old (sep 2021) that still holds up, this is from when i first got my apple pencil. The character is… my grosser rendition of double trouble from skylanders. I am not into the skylanders fandom and had too many bad experiences there but i adore the games so expect skylanders fanart every so often

View attachment 478264

another oldie from august of that year that still holds up, never really finished it but it was going to be my profile pic for the time. Raven from guilty gear who is maybe my favorite character ever. Whenever i fall in love with a character it really pushes me to improve my faces and has been the absolute best motivator when it lasts. The grey sketch is more consistent looking so i also included that.

View attachment 478271
View attachment 478272

crusty himeno sketch, best girl. messiness shows and i was using an absolutely terrible pen and no real ratio for this but i was happy i put a bit of a scene with a bit of an angle together. I cropped pic 2 to show how this could work as the base for a phone background but I would still rather tighten the comp!

View attachment 478253
View attachment 478254

more gritty bowser sketch, i started doodling the face and like how it looked, this would be fun to refine/redo after more experience because I think I really got something started in the face
alligator and turtle posture is really fun, im out of practice with it but their arms and toes have such exaggerated gesture naturally and it is very cool

View attachment 478246
View attachment 478247
OH MY GOD THESE ARE SO GOOD

fellow inscryption fan that is so awesome

This has been a terrible week for me so I don’t have it in me to finish that one drawing now. I probably just had an hour left on the character and I know what I’m doing on the bg so it will be done soon but I’m sick. Here are sketches

8F4AB5C5-F06F-476D-ADAC-2DA28A1256A1.jpeg

D340DB82-033F-4C1F-8A69-BF435726B73B.jpeg

A2DF791B-DA7D-4FC9-8C5A-E160F568C37A.jpeg

New art from this week

Woo! The background isn’t done but he is. I’m doing a lot more than a blocky shape thing trust. I’ll just see if I finish the background this week or not but this counts as my finished drawing for the month otherwise.

36CCB4A5-525B-4A26-AC2D-EA3348A1787B.jpeg

I’ll work more on this but here’s a sketchy stuff of an Awakened Sunburn, it really bothers me he never at least got that. I’m not a RoH fan at all, it’s a gacha! But I swear whoever was in charge of Skylanders had a grudge against him by the end, because he really got nothing in terms of variants.
/peacock inspiration (duh), lankier, gayer, takes on this fire royal cape (considering the one spot in Dragon’s Peak called “Sunburn’s Rest” I want to assume that he is at least royalty’s right hand)

280AF7A4-2FEA-4F69-90C5-43A7B3243ADE.jpeg

DF1BF29B-1E58-4EFD-8B9E-9267CFD574F5.jpeg

F70EF42A-841D-467C-A576-0523FC75E226.jpeg

I mentioned a Harry Potter and Ramsay fic somewhere else on the forum and I did this derpy sketch of it I intend to finish eventually, too funny not to see this in the movie poster style or something. It might be a surprise but I am actually somewhat of a Ramsay fan, he’s an intriguing man

C2E60536-2263-42F5-9766-5CA1D3DF56BD.jpeg

I’m a bit late to reply: but thank you both for your comments. And yea SM64, I always try to at least imply some texture rather than rendering ambiguously smooth… I think too much art these days is missing texture and has become too much like flat shading in an attempt to be stylised or just really fast to make, it sucks because if you want at least a bit it’s not actually that hard to suggest, texture is basically shading on secondary forms (with some exceptions like fire, subsurface scattering reflection etc). I have no problem with simplification but I’m talking about things like Nicholas Kole’s art which could clearly benefit from being a little less “clean” and certain online commissioners I won’t name.

Last edited:
i really love your style, wow. i'm not an artist (i wish i was) but i totally agree that a lot of popular art is lacking texture. your art style + the actual things you're drawing are really just super cool!

Thank you very much Crash and nice minimalist profile pic lol seeing a simple skeleton pic around always makes me smile.

Art rant. This thread can be a dumping ground for that when I think of things I guess.

It’s interesting I think concept art over the years also shifted more to lineless but that’s a totally different shift and makes a lot of sense. If you look at old concept art for any medium there’s a ton of lineart, which isn’t the case anymore. Concept art is generally more homogenous now but hey I get that change, it makes it easier for the concepts to be adapted and when companies hire a concept artist these days they generally want a good illustrator out of them too, though it might be less inspiring for the modellers. I actually knew someone around my age who did become a concept artist and they quit but, even as they claim not to be an artist, kept drawing and later on wound up going for the flat Kole style. If that’s what they want then go for it but I think it’s a shame they aren’t integrating more into the style with the previous skills/pieces of style they had.
It’s more the flat texture stuff that gets me as if it really has to be sacrificed. There’s always going to be some level of homogeneity in commercial work and the constraints there blah blah blah but if everything turned to flat colors on every surface and vinyl looking textures it would just be regression, because then you’re drawing all shapes the same way. If Crash in Crash 4 looked exactly like the concept art I would not really like that design, the concept art is too saccharine and the model has so much more texture without losing any style. But I guess professional artists don’t really get to show off everything they learned or want to share which is a shame. Texture just adds so much more visual interest even aside from making things feel more alive. Secondary detail in general does that, when placed well and it does open up tons more opportunity for composition regardless, compare Reignited to Crash 4. Oh boy I compare those a lot when I talk about my problems with popular art these days… Because they are a fantastic case study in how several details that may be subtle to an untrained eye come together and make such a huge change. The colors, lights and darks, temparatures, textures, secondary and tertiary shapes, layouts, tone as a result of some of those…

I once found this fantastic dragon on Deviantart drawn with charcoal, and it had tons of gradient, and would have been pretty soft but it just had this incredible use of a few lines around the body and some rough spots. It felt like it had this soft fairytale style without losing that. Actually if you look at Insomniac Spyro interviews you can find one where they said they were inspired by Canterlot illustrations and wanted some painterly influence or something, so he was never meant to be as goofy or flat as he is in Reignited in the first place. I am NOT ranting about Spyro more now.

Then you have the infamous “Cal Arts style” and I got tired of people throwing that term around everywhere, but it’s true we don’t have things like the wrinkles and sense of anatomy that used to accentuate old Looney Tunes in a lot of animation these days. Those are just satisfying, they feel more alive, they were used in a lot of fun ways and emphasised stuff you can’t with flatter styles. There is plenty of great animation including 2D animation if you look online, but a lot of the popular animation… yeah. I also think the newer Pixar films for the most part look so lazy visually and those blobby bodyshapes where they don’t fit bother me almost as much as the texture stuff.

It really isn’t simplification that’s the problem and texture or semirealistic anatomy is not best for everything, it’s the simplification that then isn’t really there to make things bolder either. If you’re going to do blobs for limbs then make the designs or colors or something really nuts, or go all-in on cuteness. Flat colors with simple linework and color can be really cute and pleasant, flat lineless sacrificing texture usually just looks like flat color. I think some artists on this forum are great at simple cute art. I’m not where I want to be with art at all, but usually I try to avoid those things I just don’t like. To each their own, but yeah, that’s a bit of my art philosophy- figure out why I don’t like something, explore alternatives. Isn’t that a bit of a creative exercise itself?

So yeah I’m a bit of a hypocrite when I sketch something like this. Human faces are my weak point right now, like I’m better at drawing the bodies at this point and I still need a lot of work there, but I really just wanted to draw a Himeno. If I could redo the style or make this look different somehow then I think the daisy thing would work for a cute pin or sticker. I really didn’t know what I wanted to do with the lineart color either, but anyway, I had fun drawing this despite all my complaints. I like iridiscent paint, and I like how the eye color turned out, and things about the other coloring, and that idea of cutting it off with her angled shirt.

I’ve also been experimenting with how to use blend modes a lot so ngl this actually started out with me doing that. Then I sketched a bunch of hands elsewhere because I am insane and actually love drawing hands, they are probably the most beautiful bodypart to me. Worked more on the background of that one drawing. Mostly made progress on messing with blend modes but started to dip my toes back in some anatomy and structure videos which is very good for me but very hard. The Warnado I finished mainly forced me to focus on rendering which can be grindy or relaxing- I look back on it more as relaxing- but just focusing on rendering doesn’t teach me a ton and I need to streamline a lot of that anyway. Oh my god I still have so much to relearn, it’s really exhausting but actually kind of exciting, even if art can just be traumatic to do sometimes. Not trying to get any pity, I’m glad people here like my art and happy that I am doing this again overall.

D3CEEF05-A916-4995-8C10-34553062DD8A.jpeg

It’s been a little while, I’m still working on that background (I’m really unmotivated because it just isn‘t going to teach me anything lole) and a lot of inappropriate stuff. I have a new profile pic I’m also working on, but yeah I guess I’m not in a digital rendering mood. There’s gonna be a lot of: stuff I can’t share, boring dry practice I don’t want to share. Here’s a random dump in the meantime.

A skeleton and a skull which I know are a bit off but I think they still look cool overall. I want to make my sketches a bit more colored, I’ve put a good amount of focus into efficiency recently

39090992-681D-4B01-9083-B4B9E5B96233.jpeg

2C37BB27-9602-41D0-9909-5AC6F5423118.jpeg

Drew some breakfast from real life the other day, I would do this every day but I usually just have one of four meals in the morning ):

F4402BDF-0006-4F4E-99AC-5A8003C86DBC.jpeg

724AB66C-C4D1-4D79-8945-0B27AAE8B873.jpeg

this is NOT my lineart but for the watercolor class I’m taking we had to color this. This is my third time using watercolor pans ever and the second time was pretty awful so I’m happy with the improvement. sorry for the bad pic it is 3 am

D3F0B8E5-1DFE-45FE-A446-F5C8F3760F5E.jpeg

In some ways my old sketches are better (by old, I mean 2021), I really need to do daily Ravens again or something. Some of it would be pretty fun to render.

It’s been a little while so I’ll make a chill little post. I actually have some stuff colored this time, although I don’t know if I’m going to refine any of it, enjoy

This is probably the thing I’m most proud of / attached to that I’ve drawn for a while, it’s the Batemanning and hopefully this is not too inappropriate and I plan to post nothing more inappropriate than this on this forum ever. I have so many Bateman sketches, he’s too good as reference.
Someone in my art class talked about the Handmaid’s Tale graphic novel and I would love to see that for AP. I’ll try someday. I don’t really try to draw like a graphic novelist and I don’t really read them and I didn’t really grow up with comics but I get people saying my art style looks like a graphic novel or comic a lot. I like the general style so I’m not complaining, I will say this is definitely rooted in my old JoJo fan days.

Fun fact: tomorrow is my boyfriend and I’s anniversary (… well, it’s really happening right now haha), we’re watching the movie and having heart cookies and I have other cute ideas to celebrate :) Today has been a busy hell week, so extra yayy having him with me has been THE BEST

B9ACDDC7-43D4-4B37-8351-98E7AE61018F.jpeg

a digital Bateman sketches and an Adachi I did for my boyfriend because Adachi is his Literally Me. I swear we’re normal people who are just too invested in memery
Really trying to make skin tones work more often- earlier stuff made Adachi look black and I think he looks more Caucasian or something here, which just isn’t accurate to him. Also, there aren’t enough values. I kinda got the color right earlier, but it made him too light overall, I just don’t know how to make subsurface scattering on skin work. But still, the test stuff was a big step forward. A lot of the tutorials for skin are “layer these colors on tol of eachother” which is starting to get me somewhere but I clearly don’t understand skin anyway. Anyway. I also learned some stuff about drapery and a bit of expression this month. Progress despite wonk

6C927236-6288-4E7E-900A-A976698AAEAB.jpeg

E87EFD41-FD89-4210-9880-84021DDFF5A2.jpeg

406054BC-5644-481E-AF11-05ECB7BB0CF1.jpeg

Spent 20 ish minutes on this Sasha Nein because hes cool!! you may not literally be a suitguy with tie but you have the same energy mann. How many “tumblr sexymen” do i happen to be a fan of lmao

A9E4893F-B831-4ED7-8FD6-520E339F59F7.jpeg

Random 10 minute overlay coloring etc. test. I cannot remember why I wanted to draw sun spots but I did it randomly and just saw how it went. I would add a blue jay or soemthing on top of this if I used the palette, maybe. some red + blue bird or something even tho red is complimentary a vivid blue would really work to afform the blue shadows I think

5DC669F1-B5F7-43F1-A885-62CE28E6E363.jpeg

My second and third assignments for watercolor class. I think the first coloring was the best honestly, but I’m glad I tried something different on the horse one, and I excuse myself because I had to do it at home rather than a better environment. I don’t think the sunset is anything special, but I learned some important control in that class

FE312BA2-E325-405C-B52B-EB81E15BC72F.jpeg

35F1BDAC-A3DD-4A62-A83C-6DE30F2693F6.jpeg

A double-spread I really like, I had to censor part of it because I decided it was inappropriate, not naked shockingly but still
The censored part lines up so perfectly with an amogus shape. I am not going to embrace that. Draw amoguses in your own time.

F2DBAE1D-A561-4F0C-BF29-5BEDCC8E91C3.jpg

Miniscule doodles in my notebook for fun, Mad Men is on the brain yea, suit silhouettes are so fun to draw.

07F04F64-702E-40D3-8377-930C696A0D53.jpeg

AD5985FD-6617-4677-B7AA-05FDB86D2957.jpeg

There were other nice sketches I had about but despite spending less time on drawing I think I did more this month, too much to compile here
i wear my heart on my sleeve… cya… cya

Last edited:
WOW I thought I posted weekly but its been two weeks now… I took a break for a few days due to mental health and I will have less to post here for a little while. Consider this a mini-hiatus while I try pushing myself to socialise more and adjust my focus and schedule. Here are a couple of sketchbook pages, general sketches and a brainstorm for some art from the other day.

I have written brainstorms I still haven’t tried to sketch yet, not sure how many I would share! Think that kinda spoils it if I didn’t do the design and just share the writing when I plan to use it later… regardless tho I may share those at some point! + at least share some old ideas and brainstorms I had and decided I wasn’t really interested in doing anymore…

Seagulls really do look like dragons to me. It’s weird. Birds are my fav and dragons are my zzzzzzzz. I should like drawing them but it leaves me at an impasse torn between my habits drawing the two. Should be a fun challenge working on that sometime tho. I wonder how many dragon artists saw their skull and drew a lot from that
Generally trying to mess a bit more with comp, I really liked the raven on the umbrella (I kinda redrew my own irl umbrella). Theres a mix of stuff that is ref’d and stuff that is definitely not on the other page. whited out some writing i didnt want to post on here lol.

F7721EA5-CDC0-4394-BC78-E2923A40AC1E.jpg

121EAEFE-5E6E-4D7B-9667-2F66E1004FF7.jpg

Banette sketch because I love them.

7C38CEF7-C9CE-4F0D-B13A-AEFBADA98E43.jpeg

Bellibolt redesign. One of the very rare gen 9 designs I do not like and one of 2-3 I actively dislike.
Should be a spiky toad with lightningrod horns. The other smaller spikes reminiscent of both little electic zaps and hairs standing from static. More electric ”zap!” markings on body. Looks more dead and the horns kinda have an antler look like deer prey but it plays into the impostor concept even more. Also playing off the idea of eating dead prey you would not want to eat a poison frog and I think you would not want to eat an electric one that is secretly alive either lol

5575F528-ED6B-439F-ACF0-8610B5FDBED3.jpeg

The next piece has the brainstorming going on for how to finish it and it has a bit much so I’ll spoiler it, content warning for mentions of beer/violence but no graphic description and the image itself has no violence or anything that seems inappropriate if you just want to see that! This one was inspired by old gender roles :/ and kinda venting how I see my dad treat my mom and me coming back to see that and all the sadness surrounding it in general
theres also a bird there at the bottom which is decent enough i wont crop it out lol. That day I was trying to mess with art deco shapes, it was a lot of fun and of course I would love the aesthetic so at some point i am definitely pursuing art deco studies. I know this isnt quite art deco but yeah was fun.

2DC344FD-747E-41BB-A508-6E89A196666B.jpeg

Flowers blue and purple: sadness and royalty, also sone mystery. Analogous color scheme, near-monochrome feel, green bits. Green make purple stand out more plus her blue self is surrounded by the green envy of others who want to prey on her or see her as having it easy, and sets her in an unnatural environment. Blue-green shadow represents the envy she does not want to create but also the sadness within her.

Blue / cold light = realisation of sadness hitting her, or sadness is visible (bright/prominent) but ignored.

Left to right: she looks back on all the times she got these “gifts” and the alcohol/abuse are waiting for her.

Add ringbox to right to signify her facing away from that, not wanting it, associating it with the beer? In purple (royalty - clout)

How to make her look/feel more lonely? What types of flowers in the bouquet?

Could surroundings be walls of bouquets some even wilting a little to show how many of those she already has and was just smothered in? That sounds too lively though, how can I make an empty environment that also feels closed off and not boring?

If flipped horizontally: she has the abuse and stuff already behind her, and only has more of these dumb superfluous gifts to look forward to? Sounds weaker, the beer on right seems more subtle etc

Pillars on her sides and something, maybe shadow to look like bars, or background beams i.e. in a cage ?

What if bouquet wrapping matches her dress like she was gifted and made to wear that too.

White dress with blue shadow/tone = purity tainted with sadness

edit: adding some homework, not making a separate post for this but here you go? My last watercolor class didn’t go well which discouraged me even more for now ):

23CFDA63-9F3B-4C41-B649-CF7F54085EDE.jpeg

Last edited:
Yo gamers… not in much of a writing mood so less to say this time but I am BACK in a drawing mood ephemerally. I can’t go a month without doodling my muse at least, and ironically not posting him here but put the effort in to scribble a few other things after months of being disengaged from this hobby. I started playing Pokémon showdown again a while ago which gave me a Pokémon fanart kick. And I see a lot of birds and sketch a lot of little ones but they’re on random papers so I’ll leave those off for now.

I think a lot about making full real-life paintings and being able to display them in my room etc lol. And some characters I like doodle and it’s like. Damn. I wanna draw with/for them (and my boyfriend). I really really need to pace myself with this hobby. It is mentally exhausting on me and I need to accept it’s just a hobby. Right now I am trying to insert more color in but sadly my color pencils suck. They’re light and always feel like pastel colors unless I add outlines or another medium to embolden them. So I really need another medium so I can enjoy more coloring. The current palette feels extremely limited and I don’t always have the patience to control watercolor. Obviously digital is unlimited but in some ways not as satisfying and often stiffer.

I will say on the Slither Wing the really dark leg is because I tested coloring there and didn’t bother to unify it later but ya pls enjoy. I’ll probably post intermittently for a little while. Unfortunately I don’t have the energy to finish a whole submission for pride month but I am gay everyday. In all seriousness I still think back to this thread fondly sometimes even if I got sick of the hobby. I don’t do a lot on this forum in general but I think about it a lot so love you guys.

FDDD92F1-FB46-4FFD-97B5-F23FA0572D4F.jpeg

E6470BA2-516F-480C-AD72-012E0E62037F.jpg

C5B724BA-6896-4826-8661-168F4C765928.jpg

4EFC344A-124C-4460-A92D-875ABD380BCF.jpeg

AFFBBEB2-4E8B-4CA9-9750-A6A8257E1825.jpeg

It’s good to see you drawing again!! These are great!! I wish I could doodle like that

Fox!! Especially sorry to you I haven’t been active, but glad you enjoyed seeing me draw. Sometimes it just takes a good night or a good couple days. Today I tried drawing Patrick and Jane but my people drawing neurons just are not active… At least these days I can mostly prevent it from getting worse. but I gotta dtop drawing for a bit to do it lol.

Here’s a hoatzin and an Infernape I don’t intend to really finish. The hoatzin wound up having a Legendary Skylander color scheme which wasn’t initially intended but I’m happy I got decent values. My initial attempt at relistic colors got totally buried but I am happy with the result nonetheless. I had fun on the Infernape, but I don’t want to work out how the pose would be in 3d space, you can see the overall flow I wanted tho. I’m also tossing in a bonus tiny Will Graham face thumbnail because I wanted to mess with line thickness that night

526A27CB-8406-4B17-81F4-B6DA1A6B86EF.jpg

65A80D85-AD77-4DD7-97F0-F69A812CDEBB.jpg

C8A0FCF4-9348-4E69-987C-2330BA2A7DCF.jpeg

Fox!! Especially sorry to you I haven’t been active, but glad you enjoyed seeing me draw. Sometimes it just takes a good night or a good couple days. Today I tried drawing Patrick and Jane but my people drawing neurons just are not active… At least these days I can mostly prevent it from getting worse. but I gotta dtop drawing for a bit to do it lol.

Here’s a hoatzin and an Infernape I don’t intend to really finish. The hoatzin wound up having a Legendary Skylander color scheme which wasn’t initially intended but I’m happy I got decent values. My initial attempt at relistic colors got totally buried but I am happy with the result nonetheless. I had fun on the Infernape, but I don’t want to work out how the pose would be in 3d space, you can see the overall flow I wanted tho. I’m also tossing in a bonus tiny Will Graham face thumbnail because I wanted to mess with line thickness that night

You don’t have to apologize at all, just glad to see you drawing and know that you’re doing okay 🥰 I love Infernape’s tail!

I’m taking drawing requests somewhere and once I finish that, I’ll open them on this site. Keep an eye for that if you like! But that’s more for practice. I actually drew these ones for myself:

Firstly, I recently- finally- got my first gouache. Though it’s marked “gouache tempera”, so maybe it’s actually tempera. Regardless the colors were workable with blending, these were my original tests with a bit of oil pastel in the last picture too:

EB86FDFB-22A9-4E6F-B639-6F96DF3C7B1D.jpeg

74B22831-B083-476F-B290-8BA7988E126A.jpeg

1D2B2D5B-A26B-4FEC-9627-15D77613C9EA.jpeg

I can’t remember if I shared this one spooky page from my sketchbook, but I added cats to it. And ravens If I hadn’t already shared that? I wound up drawing Turnip Head at the bottom too but that’s personal and it’s for my boyfriend

59707B6A-F7B6-421A-B806-ACEA89160813.jpeg

I went on my 3DS and for the novelty of it, I found an old sketch (early 2016) I colored. Sketches today have some of the very same problems but my visualisation of 3D space and coloring are much better. Something I’ve been practicing recently is not to outline absolutely everything compulsively. Definitely better at that nowadays. In the past I just could not do lineless. Here’s a photo of the old sketch and coloring took about 25 minutes.

7C2BBE0F-F899-4B91-BA15-28781AFBFE09.jpeg

694BEFAE-A9F2-49A4-8633-F9B96E15335E.jpeg

Here are two of my favorite men. I am markedly getting better at drawing faces than I was at the start of the year. Not sure how much of it I posted here but I used to have an issue with making eyes about 1.5x the size they should be. Even on here Bateman’s nose bridge is a bit wide and the face is a bit long BUT it looks a lot more feasible than my old drawings. I’ll toss in an old digital scribble of him as a bonus (from March I think?). The suit folds were relatively good there imo. clothing is something I need to practice horribly but I need to practice the figure entirely, note most of my stuff being an animal or portrait right now aaaau

BF13DC6A-3EF2-42D1-ADA8-544717ACCDDA.jpeg

3B7855D2-2DD7-47F2-948A-B72547616BCD.jpeg

B654EDD1-0EFA-480A-AB5B-22F3401F22DB.jpeg

FC3FA288-1164-4158-ACD8-C6D57DAA7E88.jpeg

One of my favorite YouTubers and some other random scribbles, the chameleons are referenced (the latter is more transformative). Also she has a lung problem rn… no way Strange sees this thread but get well 😭

A7381269-0B0C-4706-A601-17626897338F.jpeg

679A7355-C076-465C-8559-991C618DCC7A.jpeg

These are for the request thread elsehwere, except for the Knight I drew to toss in someone else’s art thread since I enjoyed it. Also just the first three are “done” and I was still extremely unhappy with the coloring on the Bomberman character- the layers wouldn’t behave easily and I got sick of it- the last four are layout sketches I hope to color tomorrow

BDC2E6A6-A8BF-452B-B120-A41CD36625EE.jpeg

06C1ECBA-82F3-4DDE-A260-243729B33F36.jpeg

9FBC19E9-F02F-4A3C-9872-BFE179C90225.jpeg

92C8D334-A759-4FCC-8275-AD7DF7ACF7A1.jpeg

7BA0EE7A-43CD-496A-B679-CB46A589E920.jpeg

3CA62DE7-AA2C-418A-B3A3-B5BD9749EA22.jpeg

6A042944-0193-4589-9CEE-985464B3F1BD.jpeg

I also found some really cool art books. A lot of them just being nudes so I will refrain from naming them since even that feels iffy. However they’ve been a good inspiration since I stumbled into them at the library. When I find such fine art it reminds me why I wanted to draw. Things like that are part of the journey so I just wanted to share the thought.

one day i will update to scanning. And touch up the scans to make sure they show right. Until then i hope the silly photos lend a homey charm. (My scanner sucks)

Last edited:
Very tired so just colored these two today. Nothing much to say but posting since I did something makes me feel some progress

76BE71B5-F9B1-4F91-88FD-AE5A4AAD2E9E.jpeg

D033966A-B159-4C0F-A8EB-8BC400779ABA.jpeg

todo: make a better custom pen / start using better pens and strokes, at large size the brush I use looks like copic and reminds me of some amateur coloring style. Gaussain blur can bandaid but looks bloomy when added too liberally

i really miss texturing but it takes a lot of time so im not focusing on it here... should figure out ways to suggest it more easily lol. I have ideas for that I haven’t practiced. When I grew up I just drew in pen and ink physically so I still crutch with crosshatching. That usually comes with very specific texture

I love your style so much!! That one bulbasaur looked really cool dude!! Its really unique, and your coloring is beautiful!

okay I just need to say
Unfortunately I don’t have the energy to finish a whole submission for pride month but I am gay everyday.
I felt this in the bottom of my soul lol 😭

I always love to see your art, I'm a big fan of texture myself (my favorite traditional medium is chalk/charcoal) so I really appreciate your use of texture in your art. also wasn't expecting to see Penny here so that's a nice surprise! keep up the wonderful work! 💕

Had to say something as you are so talented and didn’t want to spam you with likes 😍(non artist so embarrassing to even comment😊)

Roxxy and everyone- spam with likes as much as you want lol! It never bothers me to see them in my notifs. Pretty tired right now but all your comments are appreciated, it’s been a mess of a week, ups and downs, my health fell for a couple of days so I didn’t draw a ton but I have enough to post and wrap up the week.

Not going to lie but thinking about the comments I got here kept me from falling completely down on drawing. I really want to go to this one drawing fundamentals course. I looked around for art classes that are in-person and frankly pretty much nothing for fundamentals or live models here. Aside from one studio, I can only find online classes and random stuff like how to do watercolor, which is more about medium than the VERY important fundamentals.
I guess I have to seek them out and practice them a lot myself but it gets lonely. I emailed that studio about wether they had mental support, and they redirected me to another place that is much further away. I emailed the second place anyway and they have switched to strictly online. Whatcha gonna do. It was intensely demotivating but it makes me happy people here still appreciate the effort in this section of the forum, not just in my thread. In my experience posting online, drawing subforums were always the best for it over Discord or art-specific servers/forums/etc.

I really want to learn at that first studio, in-person, so I can get away from my damn house. If I had disability support I would probably be in a good enough place for that rn but my parents were dragging their feet and sabotaged it, so I’m going to work to it myself so I can be ready by next year hopefully.

Also yea I am a Wario fan. Those designs are really fun, I could probably do them better in my lineart style but not feeling like practicing it so much lately lol

the first pic has enough going on it gets its own spoiler

Tonight had an idea for a lemur villager randomly, which uses the cat body as a base. First up is the colored concept (still not finished but good enough to work off) and then dumping the other sketches I worked off. There was a lot of just using my finger on these so the strokes are messier than usual. Plus still tired.

2214303E-88B3-4242-A949-14B06D0F90FC.jpeg

When it comes to the colored concept I can’t decide if I want blue fur as ear trims or just to leave it on lashes/eyes/nose. I think isolating the blue sets their texture apart more but my boyfriend said that blue fur looks cute, and I think the design flow could go either way. I tried light purple fur too. I would really have to consider how this would work ingame and where gradients would go etc. but I don’t think it’s really too complicated to rework. Also I wonder a bit how I’d get actual orange/brown more literal looking eyes to work. I think real lemur eyes have a beautiful color. It kinda just wound up blue on its own. Funny when it comes to digital I naturally lean into cool colors and when it comes to physical I naturally lean into warm colors. With physical I have a lot more vivid warm color tools.

I think I settled on the one above, but for reference, here‘s one with blue brow trims instead. Blue brow fur would match the eyelashes anyway so we can pretend they’re the same texture. I couldn’t decide wether the blue is too much, or just enough to give her extra punch.

D5AC9D83-1CBA-474C-80A1-87428C3CEDF1.jpeg

Here are the original sketches I spent like 15 minutes on before deciding the last one was good enough to try and color. I was originally gonna go for more androgynous or even boyish (like a lazy villager) but I thought the eyelashes looked nice. To be honest I don’t really know much about lemurs at all so to make something more inspired I’d have to start from scratch! Sure I can make her a snooty girl but can that reference or at least subvert any actual lemur behaviour or mythology? That’s how I would want to design characters ideally but I was NOT in that hard of a thinking mode tonight.

09FDEC0E-1601-4152-A345-0A09DFA5322C.jpeg

3A41B0DF-E971-4EA9-9BE4-4B7BA328C880.jpeg

6857E747-1421-4D5C-8124-09A28CBBDD9C.jpeg

Sketched fake Mitzi a bit more and some other cat face ideas, I wanted to AC-ify by cat but I don’t think I got close. I think I should try more splotches next time I try to capture her. There are also flower shape explorations at the bottom (I spent too long on the windflowers for how they turned out but practice is practice). I believe I only left the miscolored Mitzi on the general sketch thread last time so I’m reposting it here.

551D7A4A-25F1-4EB5-8AFF-B515F74FE4E7.jpeg

7A079A95-FD26-4781-ADCE-ECBA574F2228.jpeg

Random Calcifer for the bf

47FEA137-8F3C-4239-8290-92DE9180FACF.jpeg

hm yea here’s like my third sketchbook with this guy just showing to demonstrate I am still practicing goauche a bit. I was surprised how much it diluted with a little bit of water. Not sure if that’s on the brand I got.

AA8658F3-CFB6-4677-8B41-536210DFF976.jpeg

E1440AC9-C8D5-488A-A28F-B9A39D83F671.jpeg

Already showed this to Themysterybidder but here’s a Buck I want to add more to later!!

18B86952-8C2F-4290-ABEE-E5AF5D537F59.jpeg

Random skull-eat-skull thing on a frustrated night, the smaller mammal is just made up

ED136F64-AB6A-4491-845C-7C2CCD72E057.jpeg

Finally heres little drawings I did looking at my cat :) 💜

CC55C257-146D-47DC-8FF1-E394E50F600F.jpeg

5EB4304B-F0E5-4E0A-BF2E-44F203485441.jpeg

Back