• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Does anybody feel like this?

I do not feel this way,but I understand why alot of people do. Most adults/parents do not realize that their children are being hurt,not only physically,but probably mentally as well. Parents only see the bad sides of games,but never see the good side. We don't play games because we're "nerds" or "geeks",but because we need an escape from reality. Parents might tell you that "Go play outside and make some real friends!" But they do not know that the people from the outside are hurting your feelings,and crushing you in every possible way they can. And here is my advice: Don't care about what they have to say about you,because you are beautiful in every way. Not just the outside,you are also beautiful in the inside. And I am thankful for all the wonderful people that I have as friends and family,because I never feel depressed,but I am only a human being,so I go through a lot of tough times as well.

Last edited:
Animal Crossing has definitely always been a way to cope for me. I was bullied a lot as a kid and I didn't have a lot of friends, but I didn't really care because I could just turn on my Gamecube and play with the animals in my town. It provided a really nice escape.
New Leaf provides that same comfort for me. Even if I just play for five or ten minutes, just playing and talking to my villagers brightens my mood considerably. When I'm really anxious, I play it for ages because it helps keep me calm. I like that I don't have to do anything at all in Animal Crossing, and if all I want to do is fish, that's okay, or if all I want to do is collect clothes and change my furniture every day, that's fine too.
For me it's not really a healthy escapism though; sometimes I get even more depressed because I know my life's never going to be as nice as my AC life. In general, though, I think it helps more than it hurts.

As Shirohibiki said before, you're hay in a haystack. I probably won't be able to express my thoughts as well as the others did, but as you can see, you're not alone. Many of us have been walking in these shoes, me included. I was bullied at school (starting from primary school) for countless years because I'm more of the silent type. People automatically think something's wrong with you when you're a child that's not yelling, running around or talking all the time. It's just plain stupid, but that's how people are...

As for AC being a game for kids: This is a german commercial. The woman in there doesn't look like a child to me. Nintendo is very well aware of the fact that lots of adults are playing the game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVPLF_-gzJ4

Last edited:
I'm going to chime in with the older set and say, succinctly, f*** 'em. If there is one thing that I think twenty and thirty-year-olds want to impress upon teenagers it's that high school doesn't matter. Honestly, other people don't matter. Be your own person, and ignore everyone else. I know how hard that can be, but there's nothing you can do about bullies. They have their own serious issues, and you just have to be the better person. Don't let anyone stop you from being who you are.

I actually don't like AC as much now, so I prefer to use other games in its place, but the same coping still applies, so I think you're in the majority. :D

I am an older adult, I'll turn the BIG 5-0 tomorrow. I love AC because I can just escape into my town and my villager friends even if it is just for a little while each day. Nothing special will happen tomorrow irl, but I know that my best friend in AC will be at my door when I come out tomorrow to invite me to their house for a surprise birthday party.

No reason to feel weird :) For many years, Animal Crossing has helped me to relax and escape the cruel reality, even if it's just for a little while everyday.

I am an older adult, I'll turn the BIG 5-0 tomorrow. I love AC because I can just escape into my town and my villager friends even if it is just for a little while each day. Nothing special will happen tomorrow irl, but I know that my best friend in AC will be at my door when I come out tomorrow to invite me to their house for a surprise birthday party.

Wow. Congrats on turning 50 sir c: I really appreciate old gamers :)

It's a nice game to get my mind off the trauma i'm going through
and i can be the person i want to be on the game too, with no-one judging

I have depression and high anxiety, and I think that's the main reason I love ac so much- everything's so acceptable and loving, its usually the high point of my day

I think we should all be proud of being Animal Crossing nerds!
On this site, it almost seems like some kind of family or at least a community with a shared interest and love for a game, that is absolutely brilliant! I don't have any real life friends that are gaming and no one knows of Animal Crossing. Or one of my friends does, but she doesn't play it anymore. But on TBT there is always someone who wants to help or cheer you up!

It think it's nice how so many people are using Animal Crossing as a way of coping or getting through the day. It's awesome! So don't be ashamed, be proud of being part of a brilliant game, with the most caring and loving community! <3

I read through all of the replies.

I'm really happy that I'm not alone in this. I feel so lucky to have been introduced to a really amazing community of other Animal Crossing lovers... <3

I am bullied for being ginger, and lily always compliments me and my looks! I'm so happy my fave villager is normal and likes talking about books!

I think we should all be proud of being Animal Crossing nerds!
On this site, it almost seems like some kind of family or at least a community with a shared interest and love for a game, that is absolutely brilliant! I don't have any real life friends that are gaming and no one knows of Animal Crossing. Or one of my friends does, but she doesn't play it anymore. But on TBT there is always someone who wants to help or cheer you up!

It think it's nice how so many people are using Animal Crossing as a way of coping or getting through the day. It's awesome! So don't be ashamed, be proud of being part of a brilliant game, with the most caring and loving community! <3

"I just had to tell you something important! I am an enthusiast,but absolutely not a geek. Please don't confuse the two!"

It's a nice game to get my mind off the trauma i'm going through
and i can be the person i want to be on the game too, with no-one judging

This too, on AC I have a boys haircut and a boys outfit, but a girl character. That is me irl but I can't wear those clothes or have that haircut dyed brown. That is what I want to be

ACNL shows me when I have money and independence, in a world where people don't judge books by their covers, but by their content (kinda a lily quote).

OMG. That was inspirational"

"I just had to tell you something important! I am an enthusiast,but absolutely not a geek. Please don't confuse the two!"

I love that quote ahahahha! Julian is just sooo fab! (I know it's a smug thing) And it is so true!

I love that quote ahahahha! Julian is just sooo fab! (I know it's a smug thing) And it is so true!

2fab2beautiful. I love Julian,and will always stay in my town.i had a close call where he was moving out today,but gladly I was still at the 25th to stop him. PHEW.

Back