Do you use your real name or a new name?

Each character I make has a different name from each and every game. The only char that has repeated was Jeri, but she was only in the spin off games at first. So I put them in NH so they could finally have a house lol.

My characters kinda become OCs too. I don't like my real name nor do I want the character to resemble me, cause I feel like that limits my options.

I never use my real name online. I think most people use an online alias. My rep in AC has always been called various spellings of Roxy so when I joined here it was a natural. In another life on another server I was known by a different name. That one I will never use again 👀😂

I go back and forth, if I feel like the character should be a self insert I go for my legal name, but if I want to be someone else for a while, so be it.
I never really use my real name online.

Last edited:
I use my name because I'm not creative, and I just don't like being called anything else

I used my name in games before New Leaf but as I got older I started hating my real name more and more, so now I just name my characters based on my original characters or occasionally: video game characters

Used to be my real name but I changed it to a nickname sometimes in my teens. Feels like my "gaming name" and using my real name in a video game makes it feel too real for me so I get weirded out. Nickname feels more detached and makes the game more immersive to me.

Gaming example: using my first name as Commander Shepard in the Mass Effectg trilogy. Shepard is a real bada*** and using my own name would just feel wrong. I'd be more of a Conrad Verner lol

I just use a Video game character like "Roxas" and "Sora" from Kingdom Hearts. I like to keep my real name private.

For this character I used my real name shortened. Wanted something a bit different !

I haven't used my real name in video games for like 12 years now.
When I picked up Animal Crossing again, it was the Wii version. I used my real name on my main character and the name I go by now, Kia was my secondary character's name.
It's also the first three letters of my first name.

I stop playing with the main character and I even deleted her house.
Because, I like the other character's name more.

All of my characters have different names. I don’t like my real name, so I never use it in games and I don’t like to play as myself anyways.

In video games I always use my real name and try to make the character look like me. I can’t imagine doing anything else.

I used my main antagonist's name, Trent Metah. Since my island was originally susposed to be based around my novel.

I feel weird using one of my real names, since I have two. So I always make something up.

Last edited:
Aside from the mayor of my main New Leaf town, none of my player characters are named after me or anyone else I know. I don't play video games as myself, I prefer to play them as wholly different individual characters. I don't repeat names either.

I like using made-up names. It's not that l don't want people to know my real name but I like being creative in every chance I get. I feel like my real name isn't unique and I'm bound to see repeats. So the new names are usually like onomatopoeias or me exaggerating vowels in a pre-existing word and it feels one-of-a-kind.

It's dumb but whatever.

Real name. In wild world I did use random names for fun though, since I had multiple characters I personally rotated between.

Back