• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you use your real name or a new name?

Each character I make has a different name from each and every game. The only char that has repeated was Jeri, but she was only in the spin off games at first. So I put them in NH so they could finally have a house lol.

My characters kinda become OCs too. I don't like my real name nor do I want the character to resemble me, cause I feel like that limits my options.

I never use my real name online. I think most people use an online alias. My rep in AC has always been called various spellings of Roxy so when I joined here it was a natural. In another life on another server I was known by a different name. That one I will never use again 👀😂

I go back and forth, if I feel like the character should be a self insert I go for my legal name, but if I want to be someone else for a while, so be it.
I never really use my real name online.

Last edited:
I use my name because I'm not creative, and I just don't like being called anything else

I used my name in games before New Leaf but as I got older I started hating my real name more and more, so now I just name my characters based on my original characters or occasionally: video game characters

Used to be my real name but I changed it to a nickname sometimes in my teens. Feels like my "gaming name" and using my real name in a video game makes it feel too real for me so I get weirded out. Nickname feels more detached and makes the game more immersive to me.

Gaming example: using my first name as Commander Shepard in the Mass Effectg trilogy. Shepard is a real bada*** and using my own name would just feel wrong. I'd be more of a Conrad Verner lol

I just use a Video game character like "Roxas" and "Sora" from Kingdom Hearts. I like to keep my real name private.

For this character I used my real name shortened. Wanted something a bit different !

I haven't used my real name in video games for like 12 years now.
When I picked up Animal Crossing again, it was the Wii version. I used my real name on my main character and the name I go by now, Kia was my secondary character's name.
It's also the first three letters of my first name.

I stop playing with the main character and I even deleted her house.
Because, I like the other character's name more.

All of my characters have different names. I don’t like my real name, so I never use it in games and I don’t like to play as myself anyways.

In video games I always use my real name and try to make the character look like me. I can’t imagine doing anything else.

I used my main antagonist's name, Trent Metah. Since my island was originally susposed to be based around my novel.

I feel weird using one of my real names, since I have two. So I always make something up.

Last edited:
Aside from the mayor of my main New Leaf town, none of my player characters are named after me or anyone else I know. I don't play video games as myself, I prefer to play them as wholly different individual characters. I don't repeat names either.

I like using made-up names. It's not that l don't want people to know my real name but I like being creative in every chance I get. I feel like my real name isn't unique and I'm bound to see repeats. So the new names are usually like onomatopoeias or me exaggerating vowels in a pre-existing word and it feels one-of-a-kind.

It's dumb but whatever.

Real name. In wild world I did use random names for fun though, since I had multiple characters I personally rotated between.

Back