• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Do you miss your old island?

Moritz

Bells
Tasty Cake
For those who have ever restarted (minus those who restarted very shortly after starting), do you ever miss your old island?

If you could would you take it back?

Or are you fully glad you did it?

pretty glad i reset! i got cheddar from the void i think as i didn't mystery island hop and TT'd without realising the plot would have been sold. felt burned out/couldn't be asked to TT anymore to move cheddar out so i reset, and also didn't like sally that much anymore.

the magic was gone.

Pretty glad. When I first started I never really knew what to look for, kind of just created the island and went for it. I’ve never really decorated my islands before, so I didn’t think I’d care too much for it but now I’m obsessed.
I reset about a year ago or so and had my island nearly complete, but I wiped it all yesterday after getting inspiration from YouTube videos. Flattening would have taken way too much work, and the resident services was way too close to my airport. Now, I have a beautifully centered RS and everything like the peninsulas are in spots I’d prefer them in.

Not really. Sometimes when I see my undecorated island I do get pangs of omg I have to do so much work on this (my old island was finished) and think of my old island a bit but that’s about it. But I’m happy I reset because I got a better layout now and there’s so many possibilities with my layout now. Also, this might seem weird but I really enjoy the weather pattern of my new island. I’ve had so much varied weather that I was able to get my weather seed just a couple weeks into the game. In any case, it’s my choice to leave my island undecorated at least until the update rolls so I can better settle on a theme that would make the most of all the available new stuff so I have to bear with it a few more days. :)

I don't miss mine. I restarted my release day island twice, the final reset was on May 10th of 2020 and so far this final island has been the absolute best and I love it. If I wanna change furniture or villagers, sure I will, but I wouldn't reset again now.

I don't miss my old island at all. I started it during the beginning of the pandemic and pretty much rushed through the entire game in about 2-3 months before burning out completely. The combination of my burnout with the fact that I didn't like my layout (two south-facing rivers with a misaligned airport), my island name, or my villagers made me decide to restart in September 2020. I only played for a month or two before quitting for 10 months; I started playing again about 2 weeks ago after watching the Direct.

I really love my new island! I never experimented much with the placement of inclines (or creating anything above the second-level cliff for that matter) or bridges in my first island, and now I'm glad that I'm giving myself time to try things out and see what works and what doesn't. I've also decided to not time-travel this time around, and I love progressing in the game day by day.

I miss what I lost, mines was deleted after a family member went on my switch, I am happy with my new island with where the resident building is an where the river is as I didn't realise with my old I couldn't move those, so I like me new layout but I do miss that I had all the seasonal diys an quite a lot in my catalogue that now feels like a hassle to try get back

I miss what I lost, mines was deleted after a family member went on my switch, I am happy with my new island with where the resident building is an where the river is as I didn't realise with my old I couldn't move those, so I like me new layout but I do miss that I had all the seasonal diys an quite a lot in my catalogue that now feels like a hassle to try get back
Oh man that so sucks!
I'm glad you found an island you like though!

I'm currently time travelling to get back my DIY collection and nook miles ready for Friday.

I restarted a few days ago as I hated my airport and got sick of how my island looked.
Figured with such a huge update, I should play on an island I love.

Hope you get everything back and enjoy your island to its fullest

This is a really good question! I didn't play NH long enough to have anything to miss, though. Stopped playing 3 months after release and only just got back into it, so there was really nothing to get attached to emotionally. I do miss my New Leaf village, though. I had it for so long and I still remember my starters and everything. Most of them have moved away and I don't play it anymore, but I still think back on that time fondly. It was the most developed village I ever had and it's what I put the most effort into. Hopefully I can make an island I'll be fond of this year :)

Oh man that so sucks!
I'm glad you found an island you like though!

I'm currently time travelling to get back my DIY collection and nook miles ready for Friday.

I restarted a few days ago as I hated my airport and got sick of how my island looked.
Figured with such a huge update, I should play on an island I love.

Hope you get everything back and enjoy your island to its fullest
Thanks, I am slowly getting it all back, I guess the good thing about them repeating the events is I can get the diys again so it helped bring me back into the game since if I already had them I probably wouldn't have bothered playing, somtimes I do miss that whole excitement though with what it was like in the beginning but I don't think I want to restart just to get it, I am hoping the update will bring back that excitement

I'm not missing the layout of my first island but I do miss the villagers, the atmosphere, the "magic" of the first island, I must confess that sometimes I use the dream address to visit this island . This is now my third island and I'm really happy about it, the 2nd island was nice but I'm not missing it at all. I recently managed to get the 2 starters of the first island but it's different, I have the feeling I like them less as they're not my real starters. Some days, I'm thinking about restarting again as I really like the early days of the game but I really don't want to feel the same way I felt when I restarted the first time. I think I just need a second switch to enjoy the early days in the game lol

I only restarted once and that was less than a month ago. There are some things I miss - first of all, my villagers. They were with me for a very long time and the first ones with whom I experienced the game's dialogue; the relationships felt more 'real' than with my new ones. Especially during the Halloween event it was painfully obvious that the ones I have now aren't those I got attached to.
Also, I kind of preferred my old island's map. With the new island, I intentionally picked a very different one and while I still think it was a good idea to not try and recreate my previous island, that map was better.
I never got to finish my previous island, but I liked what I had done with it and I don't think my current island is as pretty.
Besides that, I also preferred my old island's name - it was less generic than the new one's.

I don't regret resetting, but I regret the ridiculous amount of time travelling I did on my previous island since that is what ruined the experience for me and why I restarted in the first place. I could be eighteen months further had I not spoiled the game for myself, and losing all of my items, DIYs and especially the huge amount of black flowers I had is a bit frustrating. I don't ever want to restart again, but doing it this once was the right choice.

I don't miss mine too much. I wouldn't take it back and I'm glad I did it. Have restarted a few times since.

I wasn't attached to the layout at all. This is my first AC game ever so I didn't know about different fruits and flowers. Clueless to different airport colors being an indicator of colors for other things. Likely wouldn't have known without stumbling across this forum lol. That kinda propelled me to restart. The thing I miss the most is Ketchup. She was the first villager I found with Nook Miles Tickets and I haven't come across her island hopping again.

At first I was really sad and almost gave up on NH because of it. Every island I restart over was due to me not knowing what theme to go for, and I still don't to this day.

I then came to the conclusion that I just couldn't decorate at all and it stayed that way, hopefully until now as the update surely has restored my faith in trying to actually decorate something. I already did with Raddle's Hospital, though I don't like where it is. Which got me thinking if I should wait until after the update comes out to officially start the decorating process as I'm too hyped over playing with the new items to do so.

As for my old island, boy am I happy now that it's gone. Way back in the day sure, it looked amazingly good, but now with the advanced pathing and designing skills it puts the early town designs (AKA, normcores) to SHAME!
I broke my oath on trying not to restart my first island, what a silly oath I tried to fulfill.

Naaaaah. I was horrible at terraforming and had no time to flatten my island. Plus my island layout wasn't the best with double south rivers (which still arn't bad imo just not what i want now) and a res. services that was super close to the right of my airport so I couldn't think of much what to do with it.

I will admit I was kinda on the lucky side of having an amazing friend who was willing to hold my items and a few of my villagers so resetting wasn't really a hard decision for me lol

Only thing I miss about my island was it being a Day 1 island but that's about it.

Honestly? Yes.

If I had given myself 24 hours to think about it I wouldn't have done it. I catch myself thinking about how I flung over a years worth of effort, and villagers I really liked (some I'd had for most of that time) into the void on a whim.

That said I'm enjoying my new island, it's just occasionally I get pangs of regret.

Not particularly. I knew I wasn't 100% happy with the islands I had previously, whether it be due to airport colour or resident services location, and I know if I hadn't reset it would've bothered me endlessly. Better to get it out of your system and create something you'll enjoy.

I haven’t reset before on New Horizons. I’ll say however that I reset a lot on City Folk, and I did regret it. I had an obsession with resetting on that game. I guess I liked having a fresh start?

Overall, not really. There are definitely some things I miss about my previous primary island (I've reset a couple of times, but i only had one that had tons of progress), such as my catalogue and all my DIYs, but I'm so much happier on my new island. It has everything I wanted and then some.

Not really. I did a fresh start in preparation for the update, and I am refusing to TT for any reason other than small things like missing a villager birthday party due to work, or missing a holiday in game due to IRL holiday obligations. I'm having a lot of fun. It's hard to wait for things sometimes, but it makes me appreciate things more. :)

Back