• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!
  • TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Do/did your parents approve of the music you listen to?

Are/were your parents approving or disapproving of the music you listen to?

• Approving

Votes: 60 81.1%
  • Disapproving

Votes: 14 18.9%

• Total voters
I'm very private about music choices. I won't play something out loud unless I know it will be enjoyed by who I am sharing with. Which, in most cases, it means they already know the song.

If I were to play something my mom didn't like, we would both be sitting in quiet awkwardness. Music is supposed to be an enjoyable experience.

My parents have never policed what I listen to. It helps that I've always had an affinity for music from the 60s and 70s, which is the era they grew up with. Still, there is music I wouldn't tell them I listen to, like Bad Religion. 😅

I got a lot of my music tastes from my dad, so obviously he would approve (my stepmom doesn't seem to have a problem with it, either). Despite that, there are certain songs/bands I wouldn't want them to know I listen to because they're so profane. They don't need to know about my love for Steel Panther, heh.

my parents could care less about what music i listen to. if i had to guess if they would like my music or not, probably not. my mom only cares about pop and my dad only cares about alt. i listen to a lot of genres of music, so i’d have to pick out specific songs i know they’d like if i wanted them to appreciate my music.

I’m fortunate to have parents who approve. I actually introduced some new favorites to them like “El Viejo del Sombreron” (Also known as the “beep beep beep song” with us, because the singer sings “beep beep beep” in the middle, like a car horn) I listen to a lot of non-English songs (like Spanish, German, Korean, Italian, and Brazilian Portuguese), and while it’s not their first choice, they seem OK with it.

My mom is a Madonna and Whitney Houston fan. I love Madonna and Whitney Houston’s music too, so we have those in common. I also introduced her to fun songs to work out to, like “Body” by Megan Thee Stallion and “Ya Ya” from Beyoncé’s new album, as well as some Sheena Easton songs. She is also a Lady Gaga fan, and “Born This Way” is one of her favorites. (One of mine as well)

My dad is more into Pearl Jam, The Beatles, Rolling Stones…which are good, but not my first choice.

Of course they did, especially my dad. I've been influenced by the stuff he listens to, and I personally find old rock songs to have more of that charm that the new stuff simply cannot reproduce.

When it comes to the few rap songs I occasionally put on, it took a bit of time for them to fully accept and adjust. After graduating high school, they have never commented about the stuff I've played. Gotta feel good about that, as I like to "play it loud" sometimes.

My parents never policed whatever music I listened to.

I think I got my taste in older music from both of my parents, especially from my mom, who is a fan of songs from the 80's.

My parents were always supportive of my music choices growing up, even if it wasn't necessarily their thing! 💗 They never had to listen to the music I liked, but there were a few cases where they went to the effort to buy me concert tickets for birthdays and/or Christmas, and would drive me to/from! 💗💗

For the most part, yeah. I even got my mom into some new artists because of it LOL.

my parents don't know about what i listen to, but if they did they would FREAK OUT. they only want me listening to Christian music or if it's not Christian then it can't have any words, and i listen to a lot of things they wouldn't approve of lol..

One of my parents actually loves my music and many times has added songs from my collection to hers. My taste is very diverse and odd though. I listen to a mix of indie, lo-fi, pop, folk, jpop, and alternative rock. Most other people only like some of the songs I listen to and not all of them. I have yet to meet a person who likes every genre I like.

My parents introduced me to songs like Rihanna’s “S&M”, Black Eyed Peas’ “My Humps”, pretty much every Britney Spears song from the 2000’s - 2010’s etc and let me watch the music videos for them when I was younger than 10, so they don’t really have the right to disapprove of anything I listen to LOL

My parents have never tried to limit or control the music I listen to or the media I consume, not even when I was a kid and those limitations should’ve been in place. I never took advantage of that, though. The most “inappropriate” stuff I was exposed to were the songs and music videos I mentioned above (plus others), so it could’ve been worse.

I’ve never really been one to share my interests with my parents, so it’s not like they really have much opportunity to disapprove, anyways. My dad doesn’t care for music much in general, so my mom’s the most familiar with some of the songs I like. She’s jokingly teased me about some of them, and she definitely doesn’t like all of the same songs that I do, but she’s never disapproved or tried to prevent me from listening to them, and she lets me listen to them when we go driving together. She’s even taking me to see one of my all-time favourite artists next month. 🥹

My parents and I just have different music tastes for the most part, and that’s okay!

Last edited:
My mom calls any music that has heavy guitar “crazy music” or any that has some screaming. But my parents let me listen to what I want (I’m an adult and even when I was in my teens, I could listen to what I wanted). My dad doesn’t know what I’m interested in.

Back