Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Christmas Gold Candy
Planet Glow Wand
Snowflake Glow Wand
Pumpkin Glow Wand
Christmas Candy
Walt Disney Animation Studios (or the Disney Canon) has been releasing pretty good movies this past decade. People consider this to be another golden age. But they also had another time they were at their best - the 1990?s.

Of the two golden eras, which one do think is shinier? The Revival Era, or the Renaissance Era?

Revival Era Disney Movies:

• Princess and the Frog
  • Tangled
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Wreck-It-Ralph
  • Frozen
  • Big Hero 6
  • Zootopia
  • Moana
Disney Renaissance Movies:

• The Little Mermaid
  • The Rescuers Down Under
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Aladdin
  • The Lion King
  • Pocahontas
  • The Hunchback of Notre Dame
  • Hercules
  • Mulan
  • Tarzan
My Take:

I personally think that Disney did better during the Disney Renaissance than the Revival Era. Even the second half of the Disney Renaissance (when they started going downhill again) was still better than the Revival Era at its best. Although the Revival Era Disney movies are all better than their Pixar counterparts (except for Tangled since Toy Story 3 was that good) and other CGI animated movies released during the same time, they can?t meet the expectations of the era of animated musicals. The 90?s animated movies had better plots, better songs, and better animation (since CGI is not too cartoony).

I feel like this might be an unpopular opinion but while I think the renaissance era films will always be the classics, I actually prefer watching the revival era ones. To be fair though, I haven't seen most of the renaissance ones in a long time so I don't remember most of them very well.

I do like the old animation style better, but in terms of stories, I prefer the newer ones.

Last edited:
Revival era ones are good compared to the old ones BECAUSE the graphics, the modern touch.. Other things.. Lol but Renaissance era will always be classics and nostalgic but nowadays I prefer the new ones.

Renaissance era easily. The modern stuff just looks so bland and ugly, soulless and plastic.

I'm not fond of Disney for a few reasons and don't share the affection for their work that most people seem to. As such, I don't tend to go out of my way to bother watching most of their stuff and those things that I have watched have pretty much just been because I was in the situation to do so, like if I was really young and a parent/relative/babysitter put a movie on for me to watch, or when I was in school if they ever put a movie on.

Growing up in the 90s, I was actually exposed to the Renaissance movies. I've actually seen all of them except for The Rescuers Down Under. My favorite bit of anything they released from that era is the song Hellfire from The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Meanwhile, the only things from the Revival Era I've seen have been Frozen, Princess and the Frog, and Moana. Because of my aforementioned issues with Disney, I had no interest in watching stuff they were putting out. I saw Princess and the Frog and Frozen because a family member got them as gifts and we watched them together. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the song Friends on the Other Side from Princess and the Frog, that was nice. Likewise, I saw Moana because my best friend and her boyfriend came to visit while I was dealing with some personal issues and needed company, and we all went to see it at the theater together as part of the effort to help me feel better. The visit worked, and it's probably the only Disney movie I really have a soft spot for because of the circumstances under which I viewed it.

Despite what I just said about Moana being the one I like the most for my own reasons, I have to give the vote to the Renaissance movies since, again, I actually saw all but one of them throughout my youth.

Last edited:
I’m not much of a Disney fan, however, the few ones I do like are from the Revival Era.

I didn't even know they had names or eras lol. The newer ones are usually 3d and I get it, that's because it's easier to do. But there's just something about seeing all the amazing and painstaking detail they put into the 2d animations. I never did get around to seeing Princess and the Frog, which when it was coming out everyone was ecstatic about it being the first 2d animation from Disney in a long time. I should watch it and see how well it holds up to the others like Mulan, Hunchback, and Lion King.

I didn't even know they had names or eras lol. The newer ones are usually 3d and I get it, that's because it's easier to do. But there's just something about seeing all the amazing and painstaking detail they put into the 2d animations. I never did get around to seeing Princess and the Frog, which when it was coming out everyone was ecstatic about it being the first 2d animation from Disney in a long time. I should watch it and see how well it holds up to the others like Mulan, Hunchback, and Lion King.

The eras are fanon and not official, but fans have based the eras on when WDAS was doing good or bad. More specifically, when Walt Disney died, when Disney made low-budget packaged films, when they made the animated musicals, and when they revived the animated musicals.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame still slays me! The art, the music, the villain!

Back