Deleted

I see this as a recurring theme in a lot of posts. I think it isn't about creativity (either an excess or lack of). I truly think it is a confidence issue.

Myself, I outright copied until I was confident enough to do my own thing. There are still areas on my island that are copied from someone else because I love the layout that much. (My one of every color rainbow garden).

I see this as a recurring theme in a lot of posts. I think it isn't about creativity (either an excess or lack of). I truly think it is a confidence issue.

Myself, I outright copied until I was confident enough to do my own thing. There are still areas on my island that are copied from someone else because I love the layout that much. (My one of every color rainbow garden).
Want to echo this. I think we're all afraid to admit it, but we've all copied things from some other islands at some point or another lol. No shame in it, especially if you use it as inspiration and give it your own spin!

Want to echo this. I think we're all afraid to admit it, but we've all copied things from some other islands at some point or another lol. No shame in it, especially if you use it as inspiration and give it your own spin!

And to be totally truthful, there isn't any shame in outright copying things because it is a game. A mostly single player game too! It literally doesnt hurt anything and this is the first gaming community I've been in that has this weird hang up about originality.

Copying things is how we learn and grow.

Do you try to follow what is popular? Do you watch ACNH tour vids to try and emulate those islands? Or are you someone who is in tune with your own creativity and try to do your own thing entirely?

Personally I have been struggling to create a balance between the two. I look at a ton of videos, because I have an idea but not a clue on how to execute them.
But at the same time, I have seen only one video that I really like and I've been borrowing a lot of ideas from that person's island. What do you think?

I'd like to ask a question: "what is popular?" - and most important: where? for whom?
Personally, I had no intention to play online with other people, only with my GF - so whatever I create, no one else will be able to see. My "world" is for me and never thought if something is popular or not.
I tell more, at some point when Isabelle try to lecture me what is wrong with my island, I decided to ignore her suggestion and probably I would never come back to her, but one day I did realised i reached 5* - but I wasn't been proud of myself at all, as achievements are not relevant for me and sure, I may appreciate miles, but I'm treating as a currency, nothing more.
Game world - including ACNH meant to be something for me, not for others.

personally, i've seen a few tour videos or snapshots that have inspired me, but i really try to get my own situation going. i want my island to be mine, and when someone comes to visit, i want it to feel like a brand new experience for them; not just another copy of a really popular idea or something along those lines.

i'll never feel ashamed for appreciating other people's islands and getting some motivation to work on my own island because of that, but i really do try my best to come up with my own ideas and designs. i also try to incorporate my villagers into their own areas, so that really helps bring out a unique layout in my opinion.

there's a lot of themes like 'cute' or 'pastel' that i find absolutely adorable to witness, but i could never attempt to emulate because it just isn't for me. i'm definitely more drawn to looking at 'cottagecore' or 'fairycore' islands because i like the natural, and outdoors-y feel. and i think there's so many items in the game that will compliment that style, so that's more so what i've personally gone for in my own builds.

at the end of the day, "i does what i likes, and i likes what i do."

100% agree with @meggiewes, there is nothing wrong with copying things in this game if that’s what makes you happy with your island. I think probably even if you completely copied another island gradually you would develop the confidence and sense of your own preferences to end up changing things, ultimately giving your island its own personal touch. Even if you didn’t it would not matter at all though if you were happy with your game (I guess potentially it could get you in trouble if you were trying to create a prominent social media presence but even then, I think the idea of ‘originality’ is misleading- no one is playing their game in a vacuum).

Personally I have never watched any tour videos on YouTube. But that’s mostly cause I don’t like YouTube or watching videos if there is another option - I’d rather read and article or look at pictures. I did look at picture on Pinterest and Instagram when I was first decorating, just cause I had no idea how to approach it.

I also like to look at real world pics for inspiration, particularly pictures of gardens and landscaping diagrams. For some reason that helps me with designing especially for creating layering effects I like.

I try not to pay attention to what is popular - because it either makes me want to change what I like to make it more conventional, or it makes me want to change my ideas because I worry about it looking overdone and boring. I don’t like either of those feelings, so to me the solution is to not know too much about how popular styles are. However, that’s my own feelings. There’s nothing wrong or bad about just wanting your island to look like a ‘popular’ island, whatever that means to you.

I guess basically, the game is for you. So there’s no wrong way to approach it. Just do it to please yourself😀

I don't vibe what's with popular in ACNH. Most people's towns feel very 'cutesy' and that just isn't my style at all. I do my own thing entirely and I'm really quite happy with it so far.
I'm 100% in line with this post. I rarely visit other islands, whether through YouTube, Luna, or DAL. The ideas for my island come via spurts of aha moments. I can't think of a single area of my island that came as a result of seeing something else.

Now, that's not to say my island is perfect, but it's my perfect, and that's all that matters.

Do you try to follow what is popular? Do you watch ACNH tour vids to try and emulate those islands? Or are you someone who is in tune with your own creativity and try to do your own thing entirely?
Where's the option "all of them"?

I do a bit of everything. I am creative for creating stories and drawings, i'm uncreative in anything else. Lol

Still a little creative on landscaping tho.

I agree totally!! I've actually been struggling to find inspiration for a heavily-forested town as a result 😅
Yeah, I’ve been struggling a bit myself with my “town”, as most “forest” towns are actually quaint villages with trees mixed in,whereas I want to have an almost completely feral island!

I don't give a crap about other people's islands I just decorate and if I dislike it then I drop the bomb on it
Though I do enjoy looking at other people's islands for inspiration perhaps
Though I'll never try to copy someone's island
Right now my island looks like a little kid made it and tbh I love it

Someone who actually gets it. 😆 I think the closest thing I've found is a Lord of the Rings themed town, but it still doesn't make the mark for me. It doesn't help that the game penalizes you for having too many trees in a game CALLED ANIMAL FOREST. If you have any cool inspirations let me know 😅
As I said earlier, I’m inspired by outside sources (OtGW, LoZ and Brothers Grimm being major sources), so I don’t have one specific island.

I’d plug my island but right now it’s a bit of a WIP mess lol

And yes, it’s a bit annoying that they have a tree cap. Isabelle’s flavor text for it fits my lore perfectly, though!

I'm not interested in watching acnh videos, or instagrams. I follow artists on Twitter and they'll play games which is acnh. But I'll never intentionally follow a person for acnh-related stuff.
I've taken small pieces of inspiration if I find their decorating to be smart. I take more inspiration from real life.

My island is like a chia pet where I cultivate my weird and strange ideas on. It's not for the likes, fame and whatever else.

It's just like this alligator chia pet which makes no sense and apparently $240 on Walmart, lol.
82c0f541-7f41-49c3-9d3f-63a6449a68f8_1.828e11f33cede4ed281b1d5e2f19a9e1.jpeg

I like to get inspiration from other islands but not copy. Inspiration and incorporating ideas into my island takes a while though to make it flow the way I want it to. I try to make my island mine. As long as I'm satisfied with what I have designed, I'm golden from here on out.:)

Back