• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Considering starting an AC:GC town, any tips?

TheWildShadow55

Professional Phone Hoarder
Bells
Switch
1843-0032-0247
Green Moon Jellyfish
Pink Moon Jellyfish
Camp Bell Tree 2021 Patch
Orange (Fruit)
Tasty Cake
June Birthstone (Pearl)
Exactly what the title says, since I've been having less and less to do in ACNH, I want to give the first game in the series a try. All I'm wondering is how stressful it is and if you guys have any suggestions on what I should do to make sure my town is decent. Another reason I'm doing this is last summer I gave city folk a try and absolutely loved it, so I want to give the first game the same treatment. So yeah, say whatever you think could help!

Last edited:
Well, as I player who played the games backwards... I consider myself able to share a tiny bit of wisdom ;)

- First of all, the game is a town, not an island. The only island in this game is accesible through a Game Boy Advance
- There's no sky. You get a close-up cenital point of view and that's it.
- No smooth walking through the town, it's all cut in acres. Personally, this is the feature that annoyed me the most. You don't see anything of the near acres until you step into them. I had to make paths out of long lines of stumps so I could know where I was actually going.
- Villagers would disappear, just like that. There's no warning conversation, when they mention they are thinking about it it's just small talk, it doesn't actually trigger anything. But one day you wake up and find a missing house in your map and a goodbye letter in your mailbox. There's nothing you can do to avoid this, so get used to it.

Let me know if you want to hear more, it's not like I want to spoil the entire game to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
The islanders were my favorite part of the Gamecube version. I loved going to the island. Some of the unique features to this game include the dump, finding random balls on the ground, and the morning aerobics. If you find a ball on the ground, you can interact with it and play with the villagers.

This is probably the most obvious, but the villagers can be brutal at times. When I transitioned to GC from NL, needless to say I was surprised. It's honestly something I prefer, compared to the unconditional kindness of the newer games, but if you're accustomed to NH and NL, you'll probably be in for a rude awakening.

Well, as I player who played the games backwards... I consider myself able to share a tiny bit of wisdom ;)

- First of all, the game is a town, not an island. The only island in this game is accesible through a Game Boy Advance
- There's no sky. You get a close-up cenital point of view and that's it.
- No smooth walking through the town, it's all cut in acres. Personally, this is the feature that annoyed me the most. You don't see anything of the near acres until you step into them. I had to make paths out of long lines of stumps so I could know where I was actually going.
- Villagers would disappear, just like that. There's no warning conversation, when they mention they are thinking about it it's just small talk, it doesn't actually trigger anything. But one day you wake up and find a missing house in your map and a goodbye letter in your mailbox. There's nothing you can do to avoid this, so get used to it.

Let me know if you want to hear more, it's not like I want to spoil the entire game to you.
Oops, ever since I picked up NH I have been instinctively saying "island" for all of the games, I edited the post to fix that. I have watched gameplay videos of the GC version before and I'm unfortunately aware of the acre system, and how the villagers just vanish whenever they feel like it. I plan to be playing it on my Wii since it has homebrew software and the "nintendont" software on it (basically lets you play gamecube games off of a media device in "wii mode", which gives for a performance increase), however I don't have a GBA so I wasn't planning on visiting the island part
Post automatically merged:

This is probably the most obvious, but the villagers can be brutal at times. When I transitioned to GC from NL, needless to say I was surprised. It's honestly something I prefer, compared to the unconditional kindness of the newer games, but if you're accustomed to NH and NL, you'll probably be in for a rude awakening.
Trust me I'm prepared for them to be quite mean to me lol
Post automatically merged:

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, good to know you're already aware of some of the major issues of this game! :) Someone has also pointed out the attitude of the villagers, which frankly never bothered me... though I admit that, considering this game was originally intended to a younger audience, I can see how it might be seen as cruel and hurtful being uncalled for.

But now, let's say a few good things that I liked:

- There are villagers that had been abandoned since this game, never to make an appearance again. So, you have the chance to meet some of them as if they're actually new!
- Blue cosmos. There are BLUE COSMOS! My own town is covered in them, only blue cosmos. I always wondered why they had to delete the only blue flower we had (until blue roses came along in NL).
- General buidings have a nice corner-view, instead of being shown flat in front of.
- There's a full collection of scale models! I loved so much those items. I painstakingly hunted down every single one of them. In later games they eventually reduced numbers until almost disappear :cry:
- This a really minor thing, but Tom Nook's catalogue has a tab for handheld items, which I found very useful.
- In summer, you can participate in group activities with your villagers, like the morning aerobics. It's very fun!
- In the police station, you get both of the dogs at the same time. No need to choose one and reject the other.
- Golden trees. No bell trees, no. I mean real, beautiful golden trees :love:

Alright, good to know you're already aware of some of the major issues of this game! :) Someone has also pointed out the attitude of the villagers, which frankly never bothered me... though I admit that, considering this game was originally intended to a younger audience, I can see how it might be seen as cruel and hurtful being uncalled for.

But now, let's say a few good things that I liked:

- There are villagers that had been abandoned since this game, never to make an appearance again. So, you have the chance to meet some of them as if they're actually new!
- Blue cosmos. There are BLUE COSMOS! My own town is covered in them, only blue cosmos. I always wondered why they had to delete the only blue flower we had (until blue roses came along in NL).
- General buidings have a nice corner-view, instead of being shown flat in front of.
- There's a full collection of scale models! I loved so much those items. I painstakingly hunted down every single one of them. In later games they eventually reduced numbers until almost disappear :cry:
- This a really minor thing, but Tom Nook's catalogue has a tab for handheld items, which I found very useful.
- In summer, you can participate in group activities with your villagers, like the morning aerobics. It's very fun!
- In the police station, you get both of the dogs at the same time. No need to choose one and reject the other.
- Golden trees. No bell trees, no. I mean real, beautiful golden trees :love:
I actually wasn't aware of the blue cosmos, that's really cool! I've been hoping to meet some rare villagers but I know that'll be super unlikely. I started today and my lineup is decent in my opinion, but I have ran into some problems with the game, mainly that I'm really not used to the acre system at all and the corner view of every building kinda throws me off lol but I'm sure I'll get used to it. That and I now realize out of my 2 gamecube controllers, one is missing the start/pause button and the other one is a crappy GameStop controller that drifts horribly so...looks like I need to go and buy a new controller!

You're going to want a second memory card with another town/player on it. The only way to unlock the largest shop (and you want it, it's nice) is by having someone from a different town come to your town and shop in your Nookway (the third upgrade I believe).

You also want to get gud at hitting rocks because bell farming isn't super easy in this game like it is in later installments.

I recommend talking with Copper each day to check if there's a special villager somewhere. Because of the angling and the size of the map they can be hard to miss. Also get a diary for your room to check the calendar.

You're going to want a second memory card with another town/player on it. The only way to unlock the largest shop (and you want it, it's nice) is by having someone from a different town come to your town and shop in your Nookway (the third upgrade I believe).

You also want to get gud at hitting rocks because bell farming isn't super easy in this game like it is in later installments.
Aw really? That kinda sucks, I actually don't even have a memory card in my Wii (Nintendont does memory card emulation which is super useful), looks like I need to get a memory card and put a town on it if I wanna do that but then again, I'm probably only going to be playing for the summer and not for a really long time, so who knows if I'll even end up doing this.

villagers in that version can get pretty pissed. make sure to expect overreactions from villagers. even more so snooty and cranky villagers.

Last edited:
Back