• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Clever choice by Nintendo to make the Able Sisters hedgehogs

That honestly never occurred to me and now I feel kind of silly. Like duh, of course hedgehogs are the perfect choice to be seamstresses. I feel so enlightened lol.

Luna is a tapir and in Japanese folklore baku (which is a fictional creature based off of a tapir) devour nightmares and leave people with happy dreams. So it’s fitting that she runs the dream suite in New Leaf and the dream world in New Horizons.
Hm, you're right! I always thought luna looked a lot like the pokémon musharna- now i know why! they're both tapirs

well Lyle is an otter, but is sometimes mistaken for a weasel. he's a river otter, making him "slippery" perhaps... as he is able to avoid being sniffed out as peddling insurance fraud lol
in japanese river otters are called kawauso (獺) & in folklore, play tricks on humans similar to tanuki & kitsune... meaning there's a possibility in Wild World you're getting triple scammed by Redd, Tom Nook, AND Lyle lol. in japanese, lyle's name is honma which means 'truth'(ホンマ)... and "Lyle" sure sounds like "lie", leading to the possibility that "Lyle/Honma" is actually a fake name.

Are they confirmed hedgehogs? I remember in Wild World Sable would mention a show called 'Pointed Love' and that the main characters were porcupines.
Either way, pretty funny Nintendo would also make a blue hedgehog character.

Brewster may be a pigeon based on the fact that pigeons 'brood' and it sounds like 'brewed' as in coffee.

Last edited:
Oh wow! This is pretty clever! Makes a lot more sense now after putting it that way and I would have never thought of this...

Blathers is called Blathers because he talks too much. In the UK, not sure if anywhere else in the world has it, but we have a saying/phrase that's 'You're just blathering on!' which tends to mean either you're talking too much, or talking nonsense :D

Reactions: Mu~
Oh my gosh, I never realised that before! That is so clever!!

I don’t think this would count as overlooked or be a secret, but tanukis are usually associated with money so that explains Tom Nook!
In the game Smite (MOBA with gods from different regions), Danzaburou is a new playable character and as well a tanuki. He's money-related and his first skin is about dollars too. Reminds me of Tom Nook.

I’ve never noticed that, now I feel dumb lol 😅
That’s actually pretty clever though! But if i ever made a game or something like that, I can’t imagine myself putting in something that has a hidden little clever story behind it because 1. that requires too much thought and 2. only some people would notice

Although many AC players think Tom Nook is a raccoon, he's actually a tanuki. There's no way it's a coincidence that Tom Nook the tanuki runs the town store in AC :)

From this article about the folklore of tanukis:

"Tanuki pelt wallets were sold as lucky charms that could stretch money the way they stretched gold. This is why they often sit outside of stores, as a symbol of bringing in wealth.

These tricky animals are known to pass off leaves as illusions for money in exchange for goods, and so the statues outside these shops can be a way of showing that one of their kind has already pulled this trick at this certain store."

Back