Calling All Hunters!

As much as it can be annoying, I would really hate it if there were no underwater battles. They are part of the series and not every underwater battle is the same. I like hunting monsters on both land and underwater, like Lagiacrus for example. Also Gobul is a good example. Cadeus is a really boring fight in my opinion.

I just pray this means plesioth won't return in MH4. His armor is pretty good, but the fight is utterly dreadful and he looks comical.

As much as it can be annoying, I would really hate it if there were no underwater battles. They are part of the series and not every underwater battle is the same. I like hunting monsters on both land and underwater, like Lagiacrus for example. Also Gobul is a good example. Cadeus is a really boring fight in my opinion.

I just pray this means plesioth won't return in MH4. His armor is pretty good, but the fight is utterly dreadful and he looks comical.

They may have removed underwater battles, but they did add in other neat ways to fight, hunt, and approach your monsters.
Ugh... the Plesioth... My friends and I would just spam shock traps under him haha!

Finally! I was about to get some Monster Hunter Blind Boxes in my local Comic and Toy store! woooooo

underwater combat wont be in 4U either. There was an interview somewhere where one of the MH guys said something about monsters like Lagi not returning, which alongside there being no UW battles in 4, pretty much rules out the probability of them coming back entirely.

underwater combat wont be in 4U either. There was an interview somewhere where one of the MH guys said something about monsters like Lagi not returning, which alongside there being no UW battles in 4, pretty much rules out the probability of them coming back entirely.

To be fair they could have easily brought back all of the water monsters since they're all capable of going on land except Ceadeus, and even with Ceadeus they could have just given you a battle on the surface of the ocean using the battle ship that's only used for one instance of the game to repel Gore Magala and never used after that. For everything else they could have just put them in areas with water in the environments such as dank caverns and shallow swamps.

I guess they thought having even a single monster from the underwater "era" would give players terrible PTSD. Sometimes the thoughts of Plesioth's underwater tailspin still keep me up at night. :(

To be fair they could have easily brought back all of the water monsters since they're all capable of going on land except Ceadeus, and even with Ceadeus they could have just given you a battle on the surface of the ocean using the battle ship that's only used for one instance of the game to repel Gore Magala and never used after that. For everything else they could have just put them in areas with water in the environments such as dank caverns and shallow swamps.

I guess they thought having even a single monster from the underwater "era" would give players terrible PTSD. Sometimes the thoughts of Plesioth's underwater tailspin still keep me up at night. :(

well for me personally, the only reason I dont want underwater battling is because;
1 - I hated it
2 - which is my main reasoning - the majority of the underwater monsters; Lagi (3 species), Ludroth (2 species), Gobul, Ceadeus (2 species), (and excluding plesioth) are all 3rd gen monsters, which I could fight in the previous game. I don't want to spend my time fighting a monster I could fight in the previous game, which isn't even that outdated anyway, when they could instead be using those monster spots for new monsters, or bringing back old monsters that haven't been seen since Gen1/2.
3U was my first game and I don't particularly want the game to be spammed with 3rd gen monsters because I'd much rather experience something new. If I wanted to fight a lot of 3rd gen monsters, I'd go back and play 3U.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Plesioth is in MH4, and I assume he'll be in 4U, too. Though you can't fight him, you just fish him out in Chico Village. Tbh I don't know too many details on this as I've not looked into it that much, but he's there, but you can not fight him; you get carves from fishing him out, though.

I don't want to spend my time fighting a monster I could fight in the previous game, which isn't even that outdated anyway, when they could instead be using those monster spots for new monsters, or bringing back old monsters that haven't been seen since Gen1/2.

This is actually the reason why I wish they'd cycle out Rathian and Rathalos. This franchise doesn't need mascot monsters, just keep the felynes as mascots since that's what they're there for to begin with. It's getting really old seeing the Raths constantly and their fights are terrible anyway due to awful AI and cheap attacks. (Devs, please for the love of god remove "instant" attacks from all monsters. It's cheap damage, frustrating and has nothing to do with skill whatsoever)

This is actually the reason why I wish they'd cycle out Rathian and Rathalos. This franchise doesn't need mascot monsters, just keep the felynes as mascots since that's what they're there for to begin with. It's getting really old seeing the Raths constantly and their fights are terrible anyway due to awful AI and cheap attacks. (Devs, please for the love of god remove "instant" attacks from all monsters. It's cheap damage, frustrating and has nothing to do with skill whatsoever)

I disagree tbh. I'm fine with them being in the game. Apart from there being 6 of both, and they're all virtually the exact same, except each subspecies is more aggressive than the last, rathian is more likely to poison you, and rathalos has more air-borne attacks, I'm happy with them in the game. they're pretty iconic, and they make some pretty decent fire/poison weapons, and good armor sets with pretty good skills. Also I've never found their fights to be that challenging, though I've only played 3U, which was apparently dulled down in difficulty to attract new players, so maybe they were harder in older games? idk. Also being able to mount onto the monsters makes me even more excited to hunt rathian/los.

Not really relevant to anything you've said but its lead me to one annoyance I had in 3U, which was clone monsters - not subspecies, but entirely new species which were virtually clones of other species, which is the main reason I hated water battles so much. Excluding plesioth and ceadeus; lagiacrus, ludroth and gobul were virtually clones of each other - they all had the same attacks (with little variation to each species), the only thing that made them different were their ailments, body structure and appearance.
they all had tail swipe, rush, sweep, and roll attacks. lagi/ludroth had projectile attacks. it just seemed that they all had the same move pool, and each time I went to fight a water monster, no matter what species it was, I felt that I was virtually fighting the same monster again, just differently. If there were more water monsters in the game this probably would've been better and not annoyed me as much - which is probably why It think they removed water battles from 4, there weren't enough water monsters to make UW combat worthwhile; like I get it was their first try at water battles, but if they wanted to improve it, then why not include it in 4??? I remember talking to VD about this ages ago and he said something about how it was weird it wasn't in 4 since the main big feature in 3 was underwater combat, and it seems like a step back. but I guess if they removed it, they removed it for a reason right? that said, I think once plesioth becomes fightable again, UW battling will return.
And don't get me started on nargacuga/barrioth, apart from bari's projectiles coming from the mouth, and narga's coming form the tale they're literally the same monster... WHY
not sure why I felt the need to include this but the previous post made me think of this, and if I didnt type it out i'd be going over this in my head for the next 3 hours lol

Anyway, what are some good G rank armor sets to get in 3U. The only ones I've got right now is Uragan X and gold Rathian (which sucks since its got like -55 thunder fml). I'm thinkin of getting silver los/stygian/regluar zinogre/abyssal lagi/lucent narga but not really sure on which one to go for. I'm also looking to make at least 2 more armor sets feel free to suggest more than one armor set. I'm just getting really bored of 3U lately, I'm on a pretty big MH4 high, and 3U just seems boring in comparison (lol), plus I've pretty much completed everything I want to in 3U so far, apart from weapons and armor sets.

Last edited:
They're "iconic" because they're never removed, honestly, and like you pointed out, there's far too many of the two in each game. I would probably be more forgiving of their constant returns if they just toned it down to 1 sub-species per Rath like every other monster. The revamp to terrain doesn't really change that they're still roughly the same monster players have battled against for the past decade. The revamp adds to the core game experience, but not necessarily the Rath experience.

From what I can tell they removed underwater combat because it wasn't well-received by players for the most part. Honestly though, it's not bad, but they didn't design monsters correctly for underwater. What I mean by this is there are far too many large, fast-moving attacks you get sent your way, yet they made it so your mobility underwater is incredibly slow, and your dodging invincibility frames are virtually non-existent. Another issue they could have altered but didn't was getting knocked back underwater causing you to go into a dreadfully long animation (I'd say around 2x longer than the land-equivalent at least) which was highly unnecessary.

I figure instead of fixing the main issues with underwater they wanted to move on and try something different that involved land which isn't nearly as complex as underwater environments. This is fine though since it does add enjoyable, new elements and from what I can tell has been well-received unlike underwater so it could very well become a series standard. I'd like underwater to return in the future, but they really need to polish it up and not half-ass it like they did in Gen 3. The love they gave to the land revamp is definitely not the love and attention to detail they gave to underwater.

TL;DR: Underwater was a flop because they were lazy and allowed it to be awful. The flaws are all obvious and the solutions are just as obvious.

Anyway, what are some good G rank armor sets to get in 3U. The only ones I've got right now is Uragan X and gold Rathian (which sucks since its got like -55 thunder fml). I'm thinkin of getting silver los/stygian/regluar zinogre/abyssal lagi/lucent narga but not really sure on which one to go for. I'm also looking to make at least 2 more armor sets feel free to suggest more than one armor set. I'm just getting really bored of 3U lately, I'm on a pretty big MH4 high, and 3U just seems boring in comparison (lol), plus I've pretty much completed everything I want to in 3U so far, apart from weapons and armor sets.

I have lots of Grank armour, but the ones I use the most are the Azure Rath and the Naga armour. I also really like the Stygian and I have that one charmed two different ways depending what I'm hunting. The last one I just finished making was Golden Rathian and I forgot what I charmed that one to. I'm working on getting the Diablos and something else.. I forgot. On the side I'm making the Bumblepumpkin for the funs. (I spoiled myself with the HG earplugs) lmao

Honestly, I don't mind the Ratholos and Rathian in every game. They are fun and easy and like everyone says iconic. I mean for crying out loud it's in their amusement park. I don't think they should ever be removed since everyone who has played Monster Hunter relates to those two immediately. It's like removing a logo.

I think I might miss the Underwater fights, but they were too annoying to maneuver.

- - - Post Merge - - -

mh3u_myhut.jpg

My hut, my hut... My lovely lady hut

As a new hunter, I gotta say I am in love with this game.
I recently conquered a Royal Ludroth which is one of my favorite monsters.
I'm on the 3* Moga Village quests so I'm not that far, but I'm far enough in to know I'll be buying MH4.

Any tips for the capture quests? They give me a lot of trouble.

I'm on the 3* Moga Village quests so I'm not that far, but I'm far enough in to know I'll be buying MH4.

watch out for their weakness? =p (usually limping) that's about it
after they try not to attack them an djust cap them

VD pretty much summed it up - attack until they limp, wait for them to limp to the next area, set up trap, tranq.

I remember when I had to do the capture quest and I literally could not do it, I didn't understand how it worked. I'd either end up killing it, or trap too early and the trap would fail... I ended up watching a YouTube tutorial on how do do it, and I managed to complete it only be chance tho, even after completing it I was unsure on how to trap monsters. But now it's just come naturally so yea it gets easier

Also I will probs he playing in like an hour or two .(unless I decide to play wind waker), so if you wanna join lemme know

Last edited:
OMG, My sister delete all my data ****! **** why? T-T

- - - Post Merge - - -

theres like 3 save slots, **** you

OMG THEYRE RELEASING FREEDON UNITE ON IOS PLS LOCALISE THAT **** WILL BE AS FUNNY AS HELL TO PLAY

3U is my first MH as well and when I had not even 2 hours of play time I was already saying to myself, "Wow, can't wait for 4 to come to the west!". I was hooked pretty much instantly. There's something magical about the game just going out into the field, gathering and hunting as well as doing battle with crazy monsters. The fun of preparing for your next quest? It's awesome.

So far I've put in several hundred hours into 3U, and my wife just got me Freedom Unite for my Vita so I'm playing that now as well. I have to say that so far I'm liking Freedom Unite more since it feels more immersive as there is a lot more detail put into the environments and they don't feel empty like 3U maps do. 3U's cooking and gathering is far better though.

I really hope they localize that iOS game, I know I'll pick it up for sure!
I'm preparing to fight the Gobul for the Village Quests, I tried him out first and failed horribly. Even with my circle pad pro underwater combat is still unbearable. It sucks since the Gobul is really cool looking.

I really hope they localize that iOS game, I know I'll pick it up for sure!
I'm preparing to fight the Gobul for the Village Quests, I tried him out first and failed horribly. Even with my circle pad pro underwater combat is still unbearable. It sucks since the Gobul is really cool looking.

the ios is gonna suck and be impossible to play for me probs but i want it localized coz it will be some funny **** LOLOLOLOL

as for gobul,i hate that ****er so much fmlf mlfmlfmlfmlmfmmfl ughHHHHHHHHHH
tbh i didnt find UW combat that hard with the CPP. You cna fish gobul out with frogs in one of the areas tho (idk which one it is, but its the one with the fishing spot, and has land + water in that area). also try for an armor that improved swimming skills should also help

Back