• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Best Year for Nintendo Switch Library

What year had the best Nintendo Switch games?

• Total voters
I think 2018 was the best set. 2020 was the worst impo with launch game content and I hate to say that.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee, Super Mario Party, Kirby Star Allies, Mario Tennis Aces, Nintendo Labo, Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Many people liked these games. The ones crossed out are ones I have no interest in at all, and though I have never played Bayonetta it seemed alot of people love that franchise along with donkey kong. I did play donkey kong and it was nice but the game itself wasn't my cup of tea but honestly I should give it another chance sometime. I think at the time, I was a little burnt out on collect-a-thons due to just finishing a couple of other games that had searching. Everything ran smoothly on Tropical Freeze and the whole game was on the cartridge so those are major points. Pokemon Eevee I played with my spouse and was fun and I really liked the overworld pokemon spawning aspect even though Kanto is probably the worst map to have that on and I really liked Treasure Tracker despite alot of people not liking it,. I am not sure why, maybe because the game was easy, but I found the maps to be very charming. I 100% it. Infact as a result, I have Hamsters on Rails in my Steam wishlist. I can see that game coming to the nintendo console in the future tbh as the reviews on it is going well so far since its launch. And the demo of it I played a few years ago was charming too though it was basically the tutorial part of the game.

really undecided because there are a lot of good titles in all of the years. i’m leaning towards 2020 being the worst because i haven’t played most of those games, but pikmin 3 was fun even if i didn’t finish it. one day i will play tokyo mirage…

smash is so good but the only other game i cared about 2018 was star allies. still, ssbu>acnh, so i’ll place 2018 over 2020.

i guess i’d say 2017 is the best. it had botw and xbc2, two games that are very dear to me. i enjoyed pokkén tournament too. 2019 is definitely second though because sword was my first pokémon game. Three Houses is a great title and Ring Fit was fun when I played it for a week or two.

2017 had a lot of big launch titles. Botw, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon 2 and some lesser known, but still well known titles like Skyrim, Mario Rabbids.

2018 was rather weak with it's only big ones being Smash Ult and a port of DK Tropical Freeze and Captain Toad?

2019 had Fire Emblem 3 House, Mario Make 2?, Zelda Link's Awakening Remake (I really enjoyed it, but it's based off an really old game so it felt dated like Pokemon Diamond and Pearl), Luigi's Mansion 3, and Witcher 3 was ported over. It was a solid year compared to 2018s lackluster title selection, but feels like it fell short compared to 2017.

2020 had ACNH, Pikmin 3 (another port when we all really wanted 4 at this point), Xenoblade HD, the poorly ported Mario 3 pack, and Kingdom Hearts, but it's musical chairs. Not as lackluster as 2018, but also not that great.

2021 Bowsers Fury, Metroid Dread, Skyward Sword, but another phoned in port from what I gather

2022 Kirby Forgotten Land, Xenoblade 3, Splatoon 3, Mario Rabbids 2, Pokemon Arceus

While each year has some good titles and some dropped more than one solid title, 2017 had the bulk and something big for everyone. This has always been an issue with Nintendo. They start off strong year 1, but kind of fizzle as they years go by. The Wii U was the only exception for this as the first year had a weak launch.

2017 had a lot of big launch titles. Botw, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon 2 and some lesser known, but still well known titles like Skyrim, Mario Rabbids.

2018 was rather weak with it's only big ones being Smash Ult and a port of DK Tropical Freeze and Captain Toad?

2019 had Fire Emblem 3 House, Mario Make 2?, Zelda Link's Awakening Remake (I really enjoyed it, but it's based off an really old game so it felt dated like Pokemon Diamond and Pearl), Luigi's Mansion 3, and Witcher 3 was ported over. It was a solid year compared to 2018s lackluster title selection, but feels like it fell short compared to 2017.

2020 had ACNH, Pikmin 3 (another port when we all really wanted 4 at this point), Xenoblade HD, the poorly ported Mario 3 pack, and Kingdom Hearts, but it's musical chairs. Not as lackluster as 2018, but also not that great.

2021 Bowsers Fury, Metroid Dread, Skyward Sword, but another phoned in port from what I gather

2022 Kirby Forgotten Land, Xenoblade 3, Splatoon 3, Mario Rabbids 2, Pokemon Arceus

While each year has some good titles and some dropped more than one solid title, 2017 had the bulk and something big for everyone. This has always been an issue with Nintendo. They start off strong year 1, but kind of fizzle as they years go by. The Wii U was the only exception for this as the first year had a weak launch.
2018 also had Let’s Go Eevee and Pikachu and the first three Labo kits and all of them sold millions of copies. The Let’s Go games were major releases.

2018 also had Let’s Go Eevee and Pikachu and the first three Labo kits and all of them sold millions of copies. The Let’s Go games were major releases.
Oh yeah I forgot about that Labo set. Kind of a shame they didn't really do more with that.

Yeah, I’ve actually noticed that when I first made this thread back in 2020. The year 2017 dominated the other years in the poll.

If I had to discuss my experiences with how I felt about the Switch library, each year after the previous year got better until it hit the peak in 2020. Then it started to go downhill in terms of new releases.
  • 2021 wasn’t all that bad. While it had some decent new games, the overall new library wasn’t that great compared to the first four years. The one thing I liked best was that the N64 app came out this year.
  • 2022 was weaker. The most notable releases in my opinion were Pokémon Legends, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, and Pokémon Scarlet/Violet. I own the other two, but haven’t played them. Scarlet/Violet was disappointing because of the performance issues and lack of clothing customization.
  • 2023 was the weakest year in terms of new Switch games. With Metroid Prime: Remastered and (maybe) Super Mario RPG being the exceptions, I bought no game that came out this year (and won’t buy anymore games for the Switch that came out in 2023).

Yeah, I’ve actually noticed that when I first made this thread back in 2020. The year 2017 dominated the other years in the poll.

If I had to discuss my experiences with how I felt about the Switch library, each year after the previous year got better until it hit the peak in 2020. Then it started to go downhill in terms of new releases.
  • 2021 wasn’t all that bad. While it had some decent new games, the overall new library wasn’t that great compared to the first four years. The one thing I liked best was that the N64 app came out this year.
  • 2022 was weaker. The most notable releases in my opinion were Pokémon Legends, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, and Pokémon Scarlet/Violet. I own the other two, but haven’t played them. Scarlet/Violet was disappointing because of the performance issues and lack of clothing customization.
  • 2023 was the weakest year in terms of new Switch games. With Metroid Prime: Remastered and (maybe) Super Mario RPG being the exceptions, I bought no game that came out this year (and won’t buy anymore games for the Switch that came out in 2023).
I actually think 2022 was a solid year in terms of games that came out. It didn't get as close as 2017, but it still had a wide range of games for every type of gamer or pretty close.

Back