Animal Crossing New Leaf - All Bugs Route

Emericust

Bells
Hello!

I've recently taken an interest in speedrunning Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Specifically I have taken an interest in ''Golden Net'' category whereas the player would try to catch every bug in the shortest time possible and then collect the golden net from Nat. Catching each bug at random is highly inefficient hence a 'route' should be created to minimise the amount of time wasted. Since nobody appears to have created a route for this category I thought of making one myself! : ) I'm posting it here to see what you guys think:

Stage 1:
- Start the game at 10am on a Sunday in August.
- At the earliest opportunity buy a net and a shovel from Nookling Junction. For money you can either use fruit from the town or you could sell the clothes you're wearing.
- During this stage the following bugs should be caught:
  • Brown Cicada
  • Giant Cicada
  • Jewel Beetle
  • Robust Cicada
  • Walker Cicada
  • Tiger Beetle
  • Diving Beetle
  • Longhorn Beetle
  • Grasshopper
  • Rice Grasshopper
  • Walking Leaf
  • Banded Dragonfly
  • Birdwing Butterfly
  • Darner Dragonfly
  • Raja Brooke Butterfly
- Plant 30 trees/plants to unlock the gardening store. This will require the player to time travel 5-6 days in the future.
- Buy axes to chop down most of the trees. This is done to reduce the number of cicadas that spawn and thus to encourage rarer bugs to spawn. Leave a few trees as they will be needed to catch other bugs in later stages. Leave 1 tree stump.
- Buy a turnip from Joan. Dump this on the ground to attract ants/flys.
- Gather flowers and start making purple, blue and/or black hybrids as these will be needed to catch the peacock butterfly. Store a handful of these flowers for later use. Destroy all remaining flowers.
- Should you see any bugs that are not on the list, catch them.

Stage 2:
- Start the game at 8pm in August.
- There should now be only a handful of trees left (5 or 6) and no flowers left planted.
- During this stage the following bugs should be caught:
  • Lantern Fly
  • Centipede
  • Emperor Butterfly
  • Moth
  • Scorpion
  • Tarantula
  • House Centipede
- Sell all bugs and buy your house. This will unlock the island.

Stage 3:
- Start the game at 8am in June.
- Plant the stored flowers to attract the following bugs. Catch them:
  • Agrias Butterfly
  • Honeybee
  • Yellow Butterfly
  • Ladybug
  • Mantis
- From now on you only need one white flower and one of the hybrid flowers mentioned earlier. Destroy all remaining flowers.

Stage 4:
- Start the game at 5pm in September.
- Place the white flower and the hybrid flower.
- Catch the following bugs:
  • Walking Stick
  • Orchid Mantis
  • Peacock Butterfly
  • Tiger Butterfly
  • Common Butterfly
  • Giant Petaltail
  • Mosquito
  • Red Dragonfly
  • Bell Cricket
  • Cricket
  • Long Locust
  • Migratory Locust
  • Pondskater
  • Violin Beetle
- Once the Orchid Mantis has be caught remove the white flower. Once the Peacock, Tiger and Common Butterflys have been caught remove all the remaining flowers.

Stage 5:
- Start at 7pm in June.
- Catch the Firefly.

Stage 6:
- Start at 4pm in July.
- Catch the Evening Cicada.

Stage 7:
- Set the time to 5pm in December on a day where there is snow.
- Catch the following bugs:
  • Bagworm
  • Dung Beetle
  • Mole Cricket

Stage 8:
- Go to the Bug Off! in September.
- Catch the Monarch Butterfly.
- Aquire Golden Net.
- Win.

The following bugs can be caught at any point in the run:
  • Pill Bug
  • Flea
  • Ant
  • Bee
  • Spider
  • Fly
The following bugs can be caught at any point during Stages 1 and 2:
  • Cicada Shell
  • Fruit Beetle
  • Miyama Stag
  • Saw Stag
  • Stinkbug
The following bugs can be caught on the island at 11pm at any stage in the run:
  • Snail*
  • Cyclommatus Stag
  • Golden Stag
  • Goliath Beetle
  • Horned Atlas
  • Horned Elephant
  • Horned Hercules
  • Hermit Crab
  • Wharf Roach
  • Giant Stag
  • Horned Dynastid
  • Oak Silk Moth
  • Rainbow Stag
  • Scarab Beetle
* Requires rain. Go to the island when it rains, catch the snail and head back.

This run revolves around two principles:

- Maximising the range of bugs that can be caught around those which are rare (EG: Walking Leaf, Giant Petaltail). Instead of spending your time looking for one rare bug you could be looking for a whole collection of bugs that share the same time/season.
- Minimising the number of bugs that spawn when you have already caught them (hence why flowers/trees are removed as soon as butterflys/cicadas have been found).

What are your thoughts? I have all this information on an Excel spreadsheet (it's all nice and colourful! : D) so if you wanted to get a more detailed look you can do. Can you think of any way I can improve this route?

Last edited:
This is really helpful! I've needed to catch a couple of those bugs to complete my bug encyclopedia, so this is helpful in showing which time and season they show up in!

I might try this. Thank you. :)

I've also thought about attempting an all Villager Pics run, which would basically be to quick cycle constantly and do April 1 a lot. You'd probably want to stick with 9 villagers so that you always get a random move-in when a villager leaves.

This is awesome... will definitely be trying this!

I'll be trying this soon. I'll time how long it takes! xD My guess is that it'll take me around 3-5 hours as a lot of it will be luck driven. Unfortunately I have no device that can record 3DS gameplay.

This is really cool! I've always found speedruns interesting. Good luck with your run! May the RNG gods be with you. ;)

Back