• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Animal Crossing: New Horizon is not a console game!

thelonewanderer

Bells
Note: I am not a new member, I just don't remember my old username or the email account I use. The last time I log in was around 2016 or 2017 before my 3DS and all my games were stolen. If mods can help me retrieve my old username, I would much rather have that instead.

I wasn't fortunate enough to own a Gamecube and I never got to play the original Animal Crossing. It has three features that I fear would not be in New Horizon despite the Switch being a more powerful console. Those three features are land size, max villagers number, and rude/mean animal villagers personalities. No other sequel came close with those three features.

New Horizon does not feel like a console game. It feel like a handheld game, a more updated better looking New Leaf. 10 villagers max is absolutely disappointing considering you can have 8 friend houses on your island which mean the single player portion was scrape for online multiplayer as with all Nintendo games. We could/should have 8 more animal villagers. There is room for 8 more animal villagers and most people will not make use of the extra 8 land plot for friend's house on their island.

If you are a single-player like myself, you will not be able to make use of every feature added in NH. The development of the single player contents have been limited because of the focus on online multiplayer. Something that did not happen in the original GC: AC. New Horizon should have been bigger than the GC version because it a more powerful home console.

im disappointed that theres only 10 villagers per island, but i also think that the sheer amount of items you can place outside probably eats up a lot of memory so im mostly okay with it

Haha a game you have not played and barely know anything about doesn't "feel" like it's a console game? Well I for one think that it's a console game I also DID play Gamecube version when I was younger so yeah :lemon:

Last edited:
animal crossing has been a handheld game for ages now, and the switch is technically a handheld console so... ya?

im disappointed that theres only 10 villagers per island, but i also think that the sheer amount of items you can place outside probably eats up a lot of memory so im mostly okay with it

But your friend's house on your island can also place furniture outside as well. Which mean instead of having 18 Animal villagers, we have 18 total villagers (10 animals, 8 humans) which come out to be the same thing. See what I'm getting at?

have you played the game?

not every game has to use every bit of power the console has for it to be full of content. I agree 10 villagers is a little disapointing, but oh well. Sell your switch and go buy a gamecube if you want to play that version

Last edited:
The thread title is completely wack. OP is just saying that they're hoping for specific stuff and in their opinion, it's not a "console game" without. Title should be changed to something that's not so absolute

I've played all the games and the land size in New Horizons is definitely the biggest in any AC yet. As far as I know, there are still snooty/mean villagers if you've seen the confirmed list of villagers returning.

Haha a game you have not played and barely know anything about doesn't "feel" like it's a console game? Well I for one think that it's a console game I also DID play Gamecube version when I was younger so yeah :lemon:

What I mean by that is that it not making full use of the switch power. If you lower the resolution, what exactly make it more powerful than New Leaf? It has the same amount of animal villagers, map size is barely bigger (36 compare to 30). You would think we get around 60 in map size and 16 to 20 animal villagers with using Nook's phone as a checklist for all task that animal villagers ask you to do. It not making full use of the Switch console like what New Leaf did for the 3DS.

The number of villagers does not make the game.
I don't see where you're going with this?

I guess this isn`t a game for you then. Atleast it will save you some money. Its a matter of what your looking for. I don`t care much for the multiplayer aspect, but with the addition of so much customization, including terraforming, I feel this game is more suited for single players than New Leaf. But thats based on what I find desirable in an Animal Crossings game. I guess for you its different.

There is room for 8 more animal villagers and most people will not make use of the extra 8 land plot for friend's house on their island.

This is true, but since the possibility to have 8 POHs (Player-owned-houses/homes) is there, there has to be a reserve in place.

It would be possible to have it fluctuate depending on how many players there were, but then you'd have to get to the point where you need to kick a villager out just to add another player.

I am against having an overwhelming amount of villagers on a small map shared with players and shops, but since moving villagers in seems optional now, I wouldn't mind if they raised the cap.

As far as rude villagers goes, Nintendo cut them because, well, they're Nintendo, and they want to be family oriented. Resetti got side-lined in this game, and was made optional in New Leaf. Guess Nintendo got tired of all the protective parents complaining about their sensitive children crying over Resetti's power-off rants.

Not at all disappointed with the villagers. Any more and I'd probably get overwhelmed. I'd rather have the space to customize and decorate my island.

And the only features I see offline players not being able to utilize is the text/voice chat and visiting other online players. You can still have multiple players offline if you want to utilize space for friends houses. Or just use those users for yourself if you want multiple houses or extra storage.

Overall, there seem to be a lot more features that were not on previous games besides the online functions.

What I mean by that is that it not making full use of the switch power. If you lower the resolution, what exactly make it more powerful than New Leaf? It has the same amount of animal villagers, map size is barely bigger (36 compare to 30). You would think we get around 60 in map size and 16 to 20 animal villagers with using Nook's phone as a checklist for all task that animal villagers ask you to do. It not making full use of the Switch console like what New Leaf did for the 3DS.
Have you even seen the incredible detail of the character models, soundscape, and lighting effects? New Leaf looks like trash in comparison.

But your friend's house on your island can also place furniture outside as well. Which mean instead of having 18 Animal villagers, we have 18 total villagers (10 animals, 8 humans) which come out to be the same thing. See what I'm getting at?

thats true but villagers also require a.i. while player characters do not, and a.i. also eats a huge chunk of memory

not every game has to use every bit of power the console has for it to be full of content. I agree 10 villagers is a little disapointing, but oh well. Sell your switch and go buy a gamecube if you want to play that version

I don't think you read what I wrote. The other 8 animal villagers is replace by human friends. Your island has plot for 18 houses and 8 of those houses are use for your friends instead of animal villagers. Don't have to be rude about it!

While graphics definilty don't make or break a game, I'd say it's a good example of how much the game is using the switch to its potential. I think you're forgetting there's a lot more than just villager houses in a Animal crossing town and now were having furniture outside which makes it a completly different problem.

Last edited:
Back