• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Amiibo card scalping

pika62221

Bells
Pre-orders went up on one particular site for the amiibo cards in Japan, and pretty much instantly sold out. They're now being sold on auction sites for astronomical markups- $3 packs are being sold for $15 or more. So, scalpers are trying to scalp the cards now! It's not only not stopping scalpers from trying to scalp the cards, so be aware that come September, amiibo card packs may be hard to come by if retailers allow buyers to do what's happening from Japanese sellers. These scalpers don't really understand this amiibo stuff, because these cards are random, and unlike their counterpart figures, they're not exactly the same in all regions- their names are in Japanese in Japan, and English in America, unlike the figures who have no differences other than external packaging. At least in America there are 5 cards (and a special one) to a pack, unlike Japan's poor 3 to a pack- at least HHD will come with a card, so if you have the Japanese game pre-ordered, you'll get at least one amiibo card.

Last edited:
May I ask where you've got this info from? The game isn't even out for a month in Japan, so how have scalpers got a hold of them before this?

If it's true, it really sucks. :/ But I'm guessing shops will get more in stock and it was dumb of the shops to allow people to buy in bulk in the first place.

Aren't there still places available online for japanese gamers to buy from?

Well, regardless of what language is on them they are all region free (or so nintendo e-mailed me back when I enquired). However if someone knows something else please tell me, I'd hate to waste money on them when I visit America -_-

But surely, wouldn't stores carry the cards? Also, they are more than likely counterfeits then. I mean, you wouldn't get the cards by pre-ordering until the release date, and I feel like if other people managed to get them there would have already been lists starting to figure out who is in series 1.

What I do see happening though is these cards being sold on ebay separate, I mean as it stands you can buy bells/full sets on ebay for 10 dollars or so, and people actually have brought it

It's just a waste IMO. Cards are about 10x easier to produce than figures, so I highly doubt getting the cards are going to be a problem. And if they are, then Nintendo suck even more than I thought.

I doubt the cards are going to be hard to find imo. Unlike regular amiibos, the packs are all the same, so as long as you are fine with getting random cards I think you should be all good. Plus I'm sure they are far easier to produce so if they do really get an unexpectedly high demand it should be easy enough for them to pump more out.

They're going to be stupidly mass produced because they're only cards.
It's going to be virtually impossible to counterfeit because of the NFC chip, so that's not a problem.
And just because people pre-order them, it doesn't mean people will get them earlier than the release date... it's a PRE-order.
Plus suppliers rarely allow pre-orders to cover complete stock, so they'll be more come release day. Just gotta be quick (like collectibles on TBT xD )
13 years later and you can still find sealed e-Reader cards, 10 years later and you can still find sealed millefeui cards... it's not going to be hard to complete them or get the cards you want... worst case, just wait a few years xD.
The only problem will be the markup price people put on cards when re-selling them online etc... but this happens with everything in most industries D:

Yeah lots of actual card games do just fine. They are the fools this time and no one should ever buy off them. They will give up.

Back