• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

All of your save file/nintendo online questions answered!

Thank you so much for making this awesome thread!

It is really worrisome to me that the data saves on your switch. I always buy game cartridges because it gives me a sense of security in case my console breaks or is lost. I'm going to be extra paranoid now with my switch and guard it with my life lmao

Last edited:
Thank you so much for making this awesome thread!

It is really worrisome to me that the data saves on your switch. I always buy game cartridges because it gives me a sense of security in case my console breaks or is lost. I'm going to be extra paranoid now with my switch and guard it with my life lmao

Yea lmao, it's not likely the switch will break but you never know o uo;;; I remember the pain of having to get a new switch and losing all my splatoon data ;;

Was it connected to the wifi?
I dont have swsh but I will see if they made special restrictions for it

- - - Post Merge - - -

OK I FOUND THE ISSUE and will be updating the OP.
My switch is still considered the "primary" and my boyfriend's the "non primary"

On non primary systems ONLY the owner of the game can play the titles apparently. :c which is why they have you connect to the internet (to see if you own it)

So this is why I personally have not run into any issues at all; my bfs account is the only one on the switch lite and he has it labeled as the non primary not the primary. Which means i still have access to all the games under my account

However
Now i am concerned as to how this will affect new horizons and online play? I did not have any issues so did not realize this was a thing!
Since our characters are limited to each player profile I'm unsure if nintendo will change this for NH or not.

It may let you just start the game on the one profile and any online play would have to be through another player profile on that island but I honestly... have no idea at this time since new horizons is different than other games.

How do you designate which switch is primary and which is non primary? Also if only the owner can play on the non primary, wouldn't that mean you can't play his games? I'm genuinely confused by this

How do you designate which switch is primary and which is non primary? Also if only the owner can play on the non primary, wouldn't that mean you can't play his games? I'm genuinely confused by this

In the post you quoted I said the switch I use is considered the primary. If I am on his accounts primary switch I can use the games he has downloaded on my account

And to determine which switch is primary/non primary there is a link in the OP at the end of the second section

Last edited:
In the post you quoted I said the switch I use is considered the primary. If I am on his accounts primary switch I can use the games he has downloaded on my account

And to determine which switch is primary/non primary there is a link in the OP at the end of the second section

It took me a bit lol but I think I got it. Thanks for your reply!

Question: I'll be getting a download code in a bundle, as well as a physical copy as a... novelty item I suppose. However, I'd actually like to use my physical copy as I will be primarily using it on my switch. You said that a physical copy is good for commute, could you expand on that? If I had a digital copy, would I need a connection to play on commute as opposed to a physical copy?

Which version do you suggest I choose to create my save on?

Question: I'll be getting a download code in a bundle, as well as a physical copy as a... novelty item I suppose. However, I'd actually like to use my physical copy as I will be primarily using it on my switch. You said that a physical copy is good for commute, could you expand on that? If I had a digital copy, would I need a connection to play on commute as opposed to a physical copy?

Which version do you suggest I choose to create my save on?

The physical being better for commuting only applies to if you are going to be using multiple switch consoles as the non primary switch requires internet access to play the game. If you only have one switch then you dont need the internet connection to play the game at all.

If you have 2 switch devices having the physical wont give you a "primary" or "nonprimary" switch since it is not a digital download linked to any one specific nintendo account.

The save will be on your switch not the downloaded or physical version, so it does not really matter in that regard

Honestly you'll save a lot of money just using whatever copy you get first. Theres no difference in the physical or digital copy when it comes to save data using one switch.

Last edited:
This is the perfect post. I see a lot of people ask these type of questions and I get why. The concept of different Switch profiles can be hard to grasp if you’re coming from the 3ds

Thanks for your in-depth reply. I honestly don't mind cashing on the physical as it was a bundle with the tote bag over here in the UK. And the only way for me to get the console is to buy the bundle that comes with a download code. Which is quite the win/win for me in this regard. I think I'll stick to physical regardless of what others say about the contrast and differences, as per your advice.

Last edited:
Still no update on multiple switch use with the reviews :c was hoping to find something out!

Sadly no one had access to online content during the review period :c
I will still be testing out a lot of stuff the night of release so hopefully if we don't have the information out before then I can get it out to everyone sooner than later!! c:

Back