• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

All of your save file/nintendo online questions answered!

SheepMareep

Actual Magical Girl
Bells
Yellow Star Fragment
Vesta
Sheep Plush
Vesta
Yellow Star Fragment
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Dreamy Easter Egg
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
So! I noticed a lot of people are just now getting their first switch or do not understand the save file/online functionality portion of new horizons.

Figured I'd save everyone the effort of making a million threads asking questions and did a FAQ c: If you have any additional questions or something to add let me know and I will add it!

Note; I will be testing the online function between two separate switches using the same download as soon as i can c:

PLEASE READ SECOND SECTION FOR UPDATED INFORMATION ON PRIMARY/NON PRIMARY SWITCHES

1. How many save files can I have on one switch?
You can have one save file on a single switch console

2. How many characters can I have on one file?
Up to eight player characters can be on one island. To do this go to the switch's main screen and add a profile!

3. What will happen if I buy a physical and digital copy? Can I have two islands then?
If you buy a digital copy AND a physical copy for one switch it will NOT give you two save files.

4. How exactly is my save data stored?
Unlike on the 3ds version of the game, the save data is NOT saved on the individual cartridge. Instead, the game is saved onto the switch itself. Sadly, right now it is not saved to the nintendo cloud.

5. Can I transfer my save file to another switch if I get a new one, mine becomes damaged, etc.?
Right now, no. But nintendo said they working on a way to possibly make this happen! Don't know when it will be implemented however.
Other games can be through the cloud service with nintendo online but animal crossing cannot.
1. Can I use one copy for multiple switch consoles?
Yes! If you have a physical or digital copy of the game you can use it on both switch consoles without carrying over save data.

2. Should I buy multiple copies if I have multiple switches?
No, you do not need to unless you feel it is necessary due to your own situation.

3. Which game type is best for use with multiple switches?
This depends completely on play style!

If you primarily play at home (with access to wifi) and want to have both open at the same time then I would pick the digital version. It is also good for families with multiple switches so if you have like... 3 different switch lites for 3 kids you don't need to get them 3 individual copies. There are limitations to this when someone uses a "non-primary switch" however.

If you are always traveling on the go without internet access and do not plan on playing both versions at the same time then physical may be better. Just need to remember to switch the cartridge to whatever one you are playing!

4.What do you mean by "primary" and "Non-primary" switch?
This applies to people who are using digital copies of games only.

Primary switch: This is considered the main switch for all games downloaded by the individual account. You can access any game downloaded by this account at any point in time without complication.
Non-primary switch: This would be your second/third/etc. switch console. You can still download ALL of your games from the "primary" switch using the same account. However, this one will need to be connected to wifi in order to play any of the games (offline play as well)

Each separate account has a different "primary" and "non-primary" (So you can have 3 accounts with one switch as their primary and the other as their non-primary but 2 accounts that have the opposite.)

UPDATE
On non primary switches only the OWNER of the content can play the downloaded games. This means in order to have another player use the game on any switch console they would need to be using the PRIMARY switch. I am unsure if this means the primary user needs to *begin* the town on the non primary or if nintendo will just... block this.

I do not know how this will affect new horizons played on a non primary console.

5.Do I need nintendo online to use the non-primary switch?
Nope! You can connect to the internet without nintendo online; you just wont be able to use the online functions.

6.Can I switch which console is the primary vs non-primary?
Yes! Just follow this here guide and go at it.
A lot of these are speculation since we do not have the game yet but based on my experiences c:

1.Do I need nintendo online to play online?
Yep, this is the same as for other consoles like the playstation and xbox.

2.Do I need nintendo online to use the phone app for QR codes?
At this moment we don't know. I personally believe you will not, however only time will tell c:

3.What are the limitations with primary/non-primary online play if I have 2 switches?
You cannot be on the SAME PROFILE and be online at the same time. For instance, if both switches have the account "Bob" they cannot both be actively playing on the "Bob" profile and go online. (This is for online play only; offline play does not matter so much. They just don't like the same nintendo account being online on two switches at once.)

A very easy solution to this is to be on two separate switch accounts! One person on "Bob" and the other on "Molly" would allow both switches to play online at the same time. c:

UPDATE: IF player "Bob" owns the game then player "molly" will most likely need to be using the primary switch.

4.Can my primary town visit my non-primary town?
UPDATE: I will be testing this as to not give anyone false hopes!

5.Do I need to be online/have nintendo online for local play?
Nope! Local play does not require nintendo online access since it does not use wifi.

6.Do I need nintendo online to get the free updates?
Nope! This is done through regular ol' wifi. c:

7.Does every account on my switch need to have nintendo online for it to work?
It depends on what profile you intend on using for online play.
If one profile is NOT connected to a nintendo online plan it cannot go online even if other profiles on the switch are connected to a plan and can go online.
(for example: Player Bob is connected to nintendo online and can go online. Player Apollo, on the same island, cannot because they are not on a nintendo online plan.)

8.Why do I have to pay for online play?
Nintendo is very behind on this trend, all major console platforms have used this function for years now and are MUCH more expensive. They are really just catching up to the market.

9.I can't afford nintendo online but I really want to be able to trade and play with my friends on here.
Well! Lucky for you there is This handy dandy thread made where people are offering to let people join their family plans for free! c: The only thing the other person needs is the email linked to your nintendo account, no other personal info. HOWEVER, if you are under the age of 18 ask your parent/guardian first before doing this. Also note they can remove you at any time or may choose not to renew their subscription. Be aware if your email to your nintendo account contains personal information as well. don't share those sort of emails with strangers on the internet!

Another solution is to find some friends irl who also want nintendo online and split the costs of the family plan! if you have all 8 slots filled that's less than $5/year

10. Do I need wifi to use nintendo online?
Yes. Nintendo online is not a connection service. You need to be connected to wifi in order to use this function.

Last edited:
thank you for making this! i do have a question about having more than one character - so uh, i want 3 characters on my island (my main character plus 2 side-characters) but nobody else will be playing the game with me and they’re technically my characters. do i still need to make separate nintendo accounts for them or would i be able to just create them in-game like before? (you might not be able to answer this since the game isn’t out yet but it’s worth a shot lol)

thank you for making this! i do have a question about having more than one character - so uh, i want 3 characters on my island (my main character plus 2 side-characters) but nobody else will be playing the game with me and they’re technically my characters. do i still need to make separate nintendo accounts for them or would i be able to just create them in-game like before? (you might not be able to answer this since the game isn’t out yet but it’s worth a shot lol)

Each player character is connected to a "profile" on the switch/will require you to play on that specific profile.
You can make profiles that are not connected to a nintendo account however and use those as player characters c: (They included these so kids and guests don't need to make nintendo accounts :p )

The only reason you'd want them to be connected to a nintendo account is if you wanted to play online with that specific player character!

With one digital copy, can I travel to the island on my second Switch?

With one digital copy, can I travel to the island on my second Switch?

Already answered! c: (Note this is speculation so I would 100% test it before committing to two copies!!)

3.What are the limitations with primary/non-primary online play if I have 2 switches?
You cannot be on the SAME PROFILE and be online at the same time. For instance, if both switches have the account "Bob" they cannot both be actively playing on the "Bob" profile and go online. (This is for online play only; offline play does not matter so much. They just don't like the same nintendo account being online on two switches at once.)

A very easy solution to this is to be on two separate switch accounts! One person on "Bob" and the other on "Molly" would allow both switches to play online at the same time. c:

4.Can my primary town visit my non-primary town?
Yes, as long as you are on separate profiles you should be able to since other games allow you to play together online with two switches on different accounts. (For instance: splatoon, dragon quest builders 2)

Last edited:
Already answered! c: (Note this is speculation so I would 100% test it before committing to two copies!!)

It just seems strange. Everything I've read said this isn't possible. I guess my only option will be to try it. Thank you.

It just seems strange. Everything I've read said this isn't possible. I guess my only option will be to try it. Thank you.

What have you read?
My boyfriend recently got a switch lite and all of the games we have are downloaded under his name. We have been able to play splatoon and dragon quest builders together

The games are downloaded under the "A" accounts nintendo store. I play on the "M" account and he plays on the "A" account. Since we are NOT on the same nintendo account both of us can be online and go to each others games.

The game does NOT connect save files based on the nintendo account, just the console itself so it will not cause any glitches since you are NOT on the same nintendo account while playing together.

I don't know for a FACT but I do not see why it would be an issue at all.

Last edited:
I have the digital Pokémon Sword. I made a user on my sister’s Switch and downloaded it to her system. It would not let her play it using her user because she didn’t own it. So how are people doing this?

Thank you very much for all this infos (It's my first time getting a Switch so it's very useful !) ( ´ ▽ ` )

I have the digital Pokémon Sword. I made a user on my sister’s Switch and downloaded it to her system. It would not let her play it using her user because she didn’t own it. So how are people doing this?

Was it connected to the wifi?
I dont have swsh but I will see if they made special restrictions for it

- - - Post Merge - - -

OK I FOUND THE ISSUE and will be updating the OP.
My switch is still considered the "primary" and my boyfriend's the "non primary"

On non primary systems ONLY the owner of the game can play the titles apparently. :c which is why they have you connect to the internet (to see if you own it)

So this is why I personally have not run into any issues at all; my bfs account is the only one on the switch lite and he has it labeled as the non primary not the primary. Which means i still have access to all the games under my account

However
Now i am concerned as to how this will affect new horizons and online play? I did not have any issues so did not realize this was a thing!
Since our characters are limited to each player profile I'm unsure if nintendo will change this for NH or not.

It may let you just start the game on the one profile and any online play would have to be through another player profile on that island but I honestly... have no idea at this time since new horizons is different than other games.

Last edited:
Can I definitely buy a digital copy and then later buy a physical copy and switch to using that - and keep the same save file?

Can I definitely buy a digital copy and then later buy a physical copy and switch to using that - and keep the same save file?

I have the same question .... I'm slowly starting to consider putting off a physical copy and just getting the digital for now. :/

The data is saved to your switch not the cartridge so if it's the same console you'll have the same data.

I have the same question .... I'm slowly starting to consider putting off a physical copy and just getting the digital for now. :/

Absolutely. One Switch, one island. Makes no difference how many users or how many copies of the game.

Dang. I was really hoping that 1 account would have the option to make multiple residents. I don't really want to make new profiles just to make new characters :^P

Absolutely. One Switch, one island. Makes no difference how many users or how many copies of the game.

Thanks! I do know that, but I guess I'm still a bit old-fashioned with my physical copies. I feel a lot better about getting the digital copy now after reading through some stuff, went ahead and canceled my physical. :blush:

So I'm assuming transferring data from one switch to another will not carry over your ACNH save? My game is coming one day before my new switch so I'll have to wait until Saturday to play :(

See, and this obviously hasn’t been tested yet, I would assume a full switch transfer would work, because it takes everything. You just can’t send an individual user’s data.. we shall see.

So I'm assuming transferring data from one switch to another will not carry over your ACNH save? My game is coming one day before my new switch so I'll have to wait until Saturday to play :(

Nope :c nintendo is trying to find a way to be able to do this in case of losing your console, or becoming stolen, etc. That wont also leave an opening for hacking.
It's very frustrating lol

Back