ACNH Pet Peeves and Petty Complaints Thread

I mean when I own lots of other games on the switch but I chose to play animal crossing over all of them, because I find it more fun.
Its a quality and quantity thing.

I dont understand why someone would chose to put that much time into a game when they own others and can play the others at that moment in time, but don't. And then say its not good. So why chose to play it and not something else?

That's why I don't get it

The game is both good, and has longevity.
That's why I chose to play it over my other games.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we're saying this game is BAD by any means (at least I'm not), we're just saying that the quality of gameplay hasn't exactly matched up to the price point. A game can still be good and at the same time, not be worth the price it was sold at. What we're saying is that NH is good, just not so good that we should have payed more for it. Nintendo is a multi-billion dollar corporation with plenty of resources; I think it is fair to have high expectations of quality from them. I think you may be misconstruing us as saying it's bad, which I don't think was any of our intentions.

I do respect your views, so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here.

slightly unpopular opinion but i wish nintendo released this update way before instead of all the other updates cause after seeing the direct, it really showed how empty this game was since it released

also i wish we had an easier way to terraform,, i cannot tell you how many times i had to destory all my progress cause i counted the wrong amount of spaces 😅

slightly unpopular opinion but i wish nintendo released this update way before instead of all the other updates cause after seeing the direct, it really showed how empty this game was since it released

also i wish we had an easier way to terraform,, i cannot tell you how many times i had to destory all my progress cause i counted the wrong amount of spaces 😅
personally I felt like the terraforming process was purposefully drawn out. Like it would have been nice to have upgrades to knock or build up 2 tiles, 4 tiles, 6 tiles at a time.

In response to what you said about wishing the 2.0 update to be released sooner:

That’s the thing! Say for example if somebody wanted to play the game later down the line, having purchased a console and the game for the first time. Imagine, at this point Nintendo has moved on from the Switch and stopped supplying updates. The base game itself is unfortunately pretty barren. Obviously, this is not a big deal right now, but the replayability for people that want that…just isn’t there compared to older titles. This is my opinion at least, and I’ve addressed this several times.

In saying this though, most games now require downloads day one and are behind a wall of various updates as it is. :p

Same! The tarantulas and scorpions are so scary 😖 it sucks that Nintendo made them available all year round instead of just the summer cause now I'm afraid to play after 7pm 😞

oh, i’m so glad i’m not the only one who feels this way! it’s so silly, but the tarantulas and scorpions genuinely scare me to the point where i don’t really play at night, and if i do, i refuse to be walking around with a net LOL. i’m not sure why nintendo made them year-round in this game, either; i definitely preferred when they were only around in the summertime aha. :’)

oh, i’m so glad i’m not the only one who feels this way! it’s so silly, but the tarantulas and scorpions genuinely scare me to the point where i don’t really play at night, and if i do, i refuse to be walking around with a net LOL. i’m not sure why nintendo made them year-round in this game, either; i definitely preferred when they were only around in the summertime aha. :’)
Yayy someone else understands it! Maybe I'm arachnophobic, I dunno, I don't like getting chased in video games! When the game first came out and the spawn rates were higher I would get so nervous my heart would be thumping and I would get sweaty. luckily I've gotten a bit better, but I still have a hard time pulling my net out at night, too much risk 😳

How the heck does a free-to-play game like Pocket Camp have something as cool as Scrapbook Memories (videos featuring adventures of villagers you invite to your camp), while New Horizons, a paid game, lacks such a feature?

Watching Densie's brilliantly animated Animal Crossing shorts on YouTube (that I've been posting recently), it just reminds me so much of Pocket Camp's Scrapbook Memories where villagers have their own adventures and activities they do by themselves, these mini-episodes showing their daily life. New Horizons could have greatly benefited from that and would've made daily life with our villagers much more meaningful (not to mention giving the NPCs like Isabelle more spotlights in these mini-episodes).

But alas, it is not so.

How the heck does a free-to-play game like Pocket Camp have something as cool as Scrapbook Memories (videos featuring adventures of villagers you invite to your camp), while New Horizons, a paid game, lacks such a feature?
It's to compensate for the fact that PC is a glorified gacha dollhouse/virtual diorama builder and not a life and community sim. The scrapbook memories are adorable and def one of my favorite parts of the game, but they'd also be a huge ask given the mainline games have a much wider scope beyond collecting furniture and inviting animals to your (small, stationary) campsite.

That, and I feel like mainline titles rely more on wants than needs. If they were to introduce a system like scrapbook memories to the next animal crossing, then they'd more than likely require certain villagers to fill the roles for said memories to even trigger. What if a scene you really like involves an animal you don't? You'd need that villager, or you'd be potentially locked out of that content. Going out of your way to get said villager to move in would require you do to things you wouldn't want to. See what I'm getting at?

I want the animals to feel more alive and less like cutesy automatons as well, but wishing NH was more like Pocket Camp ain't it.

That, and I feel like mainline titles rely more on wants than needs. If they were to introduce a system like scrapbook memories to the next animal crossing, then they'd more than likely require certain villagers to fill the roles for said memories to even trigger. What if a scene you really like involves an animal you don't? You'd need that villager, or you'd be potentially locked out of that content. Going out of your way to get said villager to move in would require you do to things you wouldn't want to. See what I'm getting at?
I get your point, but there are ways to get around it, like letting players invite any villager that's in that scene to trigger the memory, not specific villagers within that memory that you might not like. There are always workarounds to such things if Nintendo really wants to implement it.

And besides, who says it has to be inviting villagers to trigger it? There are ways to improve upon older features, and they could make it such that these memories are unlocked based on your friendship level with the villager (kinda like Villager Photos, but far less superficial; I mean, a piece of wooden frame with their face on it? Really?).

Last edited:
This is something I realized. When you transfer to a new island why do the NPCs and villagers act like you don't know how to do stuff? I just got done transferring my user from Destiny to Spiral and the NPCs act like I don't know how stuff works and the villagers act like they haven't seen me before despite me visiting the island. I swear its like these villagers and NPCs have memory loss the moment you transfer your Resident to a new island while still keeping your home and all the stuff you had before.

Why do we need a town hall announcement every morning? When 80% of the time there is no news…
Ikr we have the bulletin board and Isabelle's announcements and neither of them ever seem to have news? No weather updates? No announcing visitors? So weird

Both are harmless unless you're holding a net. No need to be scared
I know they don't hurt you they just look so creepy, and I'm constantly worried if I pull out my net to catch a bug a scorpion or tarantula's gonna come charging out at me :/

Also just started my new island and I'm already getting repeat diys.. 😑 and they're diys from the tutorial packs! Why couldn't they just only give us new diys, it's frustrating getting repeats but even more annoying when it's the bonfire or simple crafting table diy

i have so many issues with coop as a whole..... i hate how long and repetitive the dialogue at the airport is,that we cant backtrack - if you misclick and choose the wrong option you have to Start. The. Dialogue. Over, that whenever someone new joins or leaves everyone has to stop and watch the loading screen for what feels like an eternity, that still to this day if someone leaves through - instead of the airport theres a chance that everyone will crash and lose their last save/picked up and catalogued items, that theres no queue system or at least something that would make joining crowded islands more smooth rather than just mashing the a button until you hit the perfect moment..... its all SO outdated and tedious and it takes longer than most modern games take to load.

i have so many issues with coop as a whole..... i hate how long and repetitive the dialogue at the airport is,that we cant backtrack - if you misclick and choose the wrong option you have to Start. The. Dialogue. Over, that whenever someone new joins or leaves everyone has to stop and watch the loading screen for what feels like an eternity, that still to this day if someone leaves through - instead of the airport theres a chance that everyone will crash and lose their last save/picked up and catalogued items, that theres no queue system or at least something that would make joining crowded islands more smooth rather than just mashing the a button until you hit the perfect moment..... its all SO outdated and tedious and it takes longer than most modern games take to load.
You know now that I was able to test Local Play Online for the first time after buying a 2nd copy of the game, it just feels too similar to online play. There is nothing really different. I mean sure with online play you have to enter the dodo code to visit someone or just having to visit your friends island, but with local play online its instant. I don't have to worry about orville asking me the same questions of "Where do I want to fly" or "Fly by dodo code or friends?" It just goes straight to the island I wanna go and it saves so much time and its a lot faster than using online play.

You are right it is so outdated and long of how long it takes to fly to islands because everyone has to stop what they are doing and are forced to what who is flying in. I don't know if the 2.0 update will fix this, but they really need to improve it because its one of the reasons why the online was so heavily criticized in the first place.

I can’t go up the stairs that are blocked off by the register in Nook’s Cranny.

The clunkiness of terraforming. I get that it would be hard to fix, but I hate when I'm exactly where I want to be and then it makes me do a major lunge forward and I have to resmooth the river or cliff I was working on.

The clunkiness of terraforming. I get that it would be hard to fix, but I hate when I'm exactly where I want to be and then it makes me do a major lunge forward and I have to resmooth the river or cliff I was working on.
i feel like everything would be easier if they just added like, a target outline so we can see where we’re hitting...... i messed up so many things bc my aim was just a tiny bit off TT

Back