• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Elusive whale...

XTheLancerX

Dedicated Gamer
Bells
Small Mailbox
Yeah so I am guessing a lot of you have heard of this HUUUGE fish that sometimes appears in the original game.. If you haven't, it is this giant fish that is EXTREMELY rare.. It is not a part of the list of fish you need to catch in the game. In fact, you CAN'T catch it. There is no fish coded into the game that is this large. You can start to reel it in but as soon as you do, the game will just crash because it doesn't know what to do, because there isn't a fish of that size. Anyway, the fish is probably like 4 times the size of Kappn's boat. Well here it is. I actually found it today :D I DID NOT hack to get into the ocean, I used a glitch. If you want to see the glitch, here is a link to how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUqz0I4RGDQ

Now here is a picture of this fish, I have only seen 1 picture and 1 video of this thing... Really rare, barely ever caught on camera.

Just to clarify: I DID NOT edit the photo to make a darker area. And the smaller black thing on the left is just an area where my tv is screwed up. Nothing in the game.

I do believe the Whale randomly appears on the way to the island while you're in kapp'n's boat, yes? That's what I've heard anyway.

I've never seen the creature myself. Though, my brother told me he'd seen a massive shadow while going to his island one time. xD Honestly I didn't believe him until I actually looked up the whale one day! ._. He'd said the shadow was big, but I never expected the dang thing to be that huge!

Actually, your image of the whale is the only one I've ever seen besides this one:

Whale.jpg

I'm scared of deep water and large water-dwelling creatures (if my dreams are anything to go by). >>; This kinda terrifies me.

The weird thing about the whale i found, is that it wasn't moving. AT ALL. The tail wasn't even moving.. :/ I found this really strange. although this is the first time I saw it, so it might always be that way. You also could not scare it away, even if you were running straight over top of it, but this is no different than any of the other fish that are in the middle of the ocean. The ones you may see on your way to the island in the boat are unable to be caught or scared away. Any fish that aren't in the immediate acre of your beach in your town or the acres the island are in behave this way. They just simply won't go after the bobber. I didn't try to catch it because I heard if you did catch it, it just makes the game crash because the game doesn't know what to do, and I had just gotten into the ocean and explored to the very very bottom most part of the ocean, even below the island. You aren't even meant to be able to catch it in the first place because you should be on the boat if you see it (Assuming it was meant to be in the game).

I have two more pictures in case you want to see them, they really aren't anything different, but you get to see the upper end of the fish more.

The whale was all the way at the bottom of the map, so far down that it was at the border where it just turns black, and its tail was hanging off of the map haha

I have also made a few other observations of my adventure into the ocean lol So, I had to do the glitch twice to really be able to explore, because as soon as I got into the ocean, I went to my immediate left (I was at the left edge in town like in the video) to see what was around the cliff. I tried to open my map when I was in that area and the game immediately crashed. Almost like the "X" button had turned into the reset button, the game just went black then I was at the main screen, my town and everything unharmed. Although I had to go through the terrible experience of Resetti visiting me. So, take two. I found another snowball and got into the ocean. First thing I did was make my way to the island... Oddly, the island had snow snow on it (was shown in the video) but the island had summer bugs on it. So there was a snowy area with an exotic purple butterfly flying around. There also were cicadas, dragon flies.. ect. Also, when I mentioned earlier that any fish outside of the beach or the island acres contain fish that are unable to be caught, there is one exception. The acres at the very left and very right sides of the town just around the corner by the beach, have catchable fish. They are usually in the black area where you can't see them, though. I did a good amount of exploring and I was around for about 50 minutes. My character went from level 1 skin tone, to a level 3 or 4.. And I did not explore at the island the whole time. So if you have a tan, but you want to keep it in the winter, do this glitch, go to the island and run around for awhile. I am really surprised by how fast I got such a dark tan. Well, sorry for the huge post...

Here is what my skin tone ended up as:

Last edited:
I'VE SEEN IT BEFORE :0
It only happened once, and I was so excited about it.
It happened when I was going to the island in Kapp'n's boat.
I would always hope to see it again, but I never did :I after a while I thought I had just imagined it or something, but now I know that I didn't xD
I think it would make a nice addition to New Leaf... I loooooooove whales. <3 so much

I've never seen it personally, but there's a video of it here.
I have seen this video before, but I don't think that whale looked quite right... It was way too big and it was just shaped like a circle, there wasn't any fish shape to it like the normal shadows are. Also, if it was that circular, it would have to be facing to the side at the boat, and no fish in the ocean off the coast of the island and the town face any direction besides facing up. And if you look closely it looks like it is moving funny like someone edited the darker part in and was trying to make it looks like it was moving at just the right speed with the movement of the screen with the boat, I don't know, it just looks funny. Not necessarily deeming it fake, but still...

I have seen this video before, but I don't think that whale looked quite right... It was way too big and it was just shaped like a circle, there wasn't any fish shape to it like the normal shadows are. Also, if it was that circular, it would have to be facing to the side at the boat, and no fish in the ocean off the coast of the island and the town face any direction besides facing up. And if you look closely it looks like it is moving funny like someone edited the darker part in and was trying to make it looks like it was moving at just the right speed with the movement of the screen with the boat, I don't know, it just looks funny. Not necessarily deeming it fake, but still...
Yeah! i was also thinking this... It definitely doesn't look like a fish, more so like a gigantic balloon.

A good portion of the shadow is off-screen, so you can't really say it's not fish-shaped. Yeah, it does look round, but it's probably just at an angle so you only see the side of it.

Well I'm bound to see the whale eventually, so I'll put up my own video of it if/when I do. I may give it a try this weekend.

A good portion of the shadow is off-screen, so you can't really say it's not fish-shaped. Yeah, it does look round, but it's probably just at an angle so you only see the side of it.

Well I'm bound to see the whale eventually, so I'll put up my own video of it if/when I do. I may give it a try this weekend.

yeah I get where you are coming from but for the shadow to be that round that would have to be the front end of the fish, meaning it would have to be facing sideways. And no fish in the ocean off coast face sideways.

Hi, I am the OP of that video. My theory is that because the whale is a glitch IMO, the norm for regular fish may not apply.

I honestly doubt the whale is a glitch. If it were a glitch, it'd be more likely for you to see fish of varying huge sizes in the pond and rivers. If anything it's probably an Easter egg, since the only time you're apparently supposed to see it is when you're heading through the ocean to the island.

Yes, but whales don't move their tails from side to side like fish do! They move their tails up and down. It makes sense that the whale sprite wouldn't do that.

Well no matter, I have just found the whale using the same glitch OP used and captured it on video. Uploading it to YouTube now.

I remember seeing the whale on the way to the island and being so mad at Kapp'n because I wanted to catch it. I kept yelling at the TV and telling him to stop the boat.

Back