• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The College Thread!

I'm in my first year of a 3-year Bachelor of Social Science degree in UCD. I know it's a bit early to be worrying about my Masters but I'd love to work in an NGO of some description so I've been looking into Masters in Human Rights and such.

This is a great thread! I love it when Animal Crossing combines with the other thing in my life that takes a lot of my time - university.

I've taken a while to decide what I wanted to really do and after trying uni for a year when I finished high school (2008), I didn't really think it was for me. Fast forward to now and I am absolutely in love with academics. My major/degree is a Bachelor of Social Work.

As of this year I study online at Deakin University but before that I was an internal student at a university in Queensland (Australia). I loved my first uni, maybe more than most people do and it made me so sad to leave but I needed to as my husband and I were moving interstate. So I live pretty far from my school, about 8 hours, but thankfully I only really need to go there once a year for various intensives.

Any one else here an Australian uni student?

Well thank you!
I'm really interested in reading about everyone's experiences with college. It's so different for everyone despite it being the same core of 'going to college.' Crazy how the same thing can be all over the place. It's really nice to read.

I'm in my first year of a 3-year Bachelor of Social Science degree in UCD. I know it's a bit early to be worrying about my Masters but I'd love to work in an NGO of some description so I've been looking into Masters in Human Rights and such.

Bachelor of Social Work here. Sounds like an awesome degree/career path! I still have a few years left (hoping to graduate in 2020) but am too thinking about my masters. I have a pipe dream/thought about Humanitarian Law or something along those lines :)

What's your major?
- Biology, emphasis on anatomy and physiology
What degree are you working on?
- It's a BA?
What degree do you hope to achieve?
- MD
What college do you go to?
- Univ of utah
What made you choose this college?
- Cause the city is fun
What's your favorite class?
- i like all of em except writing
Do you live at home, on your own, or in a dorm?
- Dorm
Any funny roommate stories?
- no
Any tips or advice for current or upcoming students?
- from what ive seen so far professors literally make it easy to do well in a class in many ways so if you **** up your first year thats kinda sad ? dont do that

I'm a sophomore advertising/ history student!

Tips? Make study guides for yourself! & Don't freak yourself out about getting everything done. It's okay to miss some classes now and again.

My funny roommate story isn't too funny, she was terrible (last year freshman dorms) :\

She'd walk around completely naked, facetime her friends until 2 in the morning, and she constantly accused me of stealing her socks (what? lol)

Last edited:
What's your major? Don't have a major in my program
What degree are you working on? Bachelor of Computer Science
What degree do you hope to achieve? Bachelor of Computer Science
What college do you go to? local university
What made you choose this college? free residence because my parents live here and great co-op program
What's your favorite class? loved my Computability & Formal Languages class
Do you live at home, on your own, or in a dorm? home
Any funny roommate stories? no
Any tips or advice for current or upcoming students? GO TO CLASS AND DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND YOU'LL PROBABLY DO GREAT

i'm also applying to college right now! fingers crossed on my top choice :'(

i want to major in economics/international relations with a minor in comp sci.

I'm a junior biology major working toward a BS. I live at home and commute to a nearby university.

Tbh I'm really ready to be done haha. School stresses me out, but this year I've been trying to figure out what I'm gonna do after I graduate and that stresses me out too lmao. I've thought about going into medical laboratory sciences after I graduate, and I've also been thinking lately about going to grad school to get an MPH, so I'm looking into taking some health courses to make sure that's what I want. I don't see myself going to grad school for bio, though.

I guess my tips are to not be afraid that things aren't going the way you've planned them. I know a lot of people who either aren't gonna go to professional school like they thought they were, or they switched majors and have to do a couple more years, or they're going back to school to qualify for a job they want to do. My mom keeps telling me to take my time while I'm there and do everything I want to, and I think that's good advice.

I go to university and I am suffering through the semester. It's alright I guess but I'm still confused about what field I want to go into and am thinking of switching my major. The passion for learning I had in high school has dwindled a bit. I think continuing school is the right decision for me, it just gets very stressful, especially not having many friends here and being unsure I'm on the right path.

I live in a house with 8 other girls, two buses away from school. It's in a nice neighbourhood, I don't have complaints about that and my roommates are nice enough. I am lucky though that I'm able to go home for the weekends and feel more comfortable there.

My favourite course I'm taking at the moment is an introduction to linguistics class. I've loved languages all my life and have been learning them since grade school. Learning about the science behind languages, word formation, sentence structure, sounds, and more is very appealing to me. I have interest in my other classes, all science-based, but not like this one. So it leaves me to wonder if I am in the right program...

There's just over a month left of the semester that I have to survive. Really looking forward to the Christmas break!

I'm in college doing a level 3 BTEC in digital design and animation! It's very practical and hands-on, although there's actually a lot of theory work and essays going on in the background. It's such a nice breath of fresh air, especially after the disaster that was GCSE art. Doing art related courses after secondary school really opens your eyes to how awful the art courses really are - all we ever did was paint fine art and had every other style shut down, and you can guess how boring it was. Thanks to the course and connections I have through my tutors I might even get a chance to showcase some of my work in exhibitions across the city, so it's going really well so far and I can't wait for uni :D

Looking back, college was... interesting. I mean, I?m not technically done with it yet since I?m in my final semester (Computer Science) and currently working on my thesis, but... goodness, I?m so done with all of this. I really can?t wait for this to be finally over, haha. My blood is just caffeine at this point. I can?t wait for the glorious day that I can SLEEP again... TuT

We'll all make it guys! I'm 1000% sick of writing lesson plans, but I'll be writing them my whole career once I finish school so I have to accept them. Joys of teaching haha.

Ooh this oughta be interesting :lemon:

What's your major?
I'm doing a double-major in piano performance and astrophysics. I'm also considering a minor in math.

What degree are you working on?
Currently a Bachelor of Arts

What degree do you hope to achieve?
I'm not sure how far I want to go with music, but I want to try to am for a Ph.D. in astrophysics.

What college do you go to?
Ohio Wesleyan University

What made you choose this college?
I live in cornfield Ohio, and OWU lives in cornfield Ohio too :rolleyes:
But on a more serious note, I prefer this college because it's nice and small, and I get along really well with the people in my departments.

What's your favorite class?
PHYSICSSSSSSSSSS
I also really like my piano lessons :)

Do you live at home, on your own, or in a dorm?
I live in a dorm. They wouldn't let me live off-campus unless I lived in the city.

Any funny roommate stories?
Well my previous roommate was a heavy drinker and always skipped classes. I actually left my previous dorm room because of her.
She eventually dropped out. Kinda sad :(

Any tips or advice for current or upcoming students?
Don't give up!!!!!!!
Look I just got my physics midterm back and I got a 30/100 on it. Luckily we managed to get a curve, and I did extra credit, which brought me up to a D-. But it's not the end of the world!! If you're struggling in a class, talk to your professor/academic adviser (if you have one)! All my professors are really nice and willing to help if I happen to struggle with something.
Just keep trying as hard as you can and show your professors you're serious about your education! :blush:

my sisters currently going to temple university in philly and her gf is going to bryn mawr university which is an all girls school. i toured the campus when i was helping my sister settle into philly and it was amazing there were hammocks everywhere and the big front building looked like a medieval building. temple is nice too but kind of right in the city at least where i saw it. and my sisters dorm was kind of scary. when i go to college i def wanna go to a harry potter like skool (im only a sophomore y am i thinking about college lmao)

Hello, nice icon/sig ;)

I'm finishing up my degree this semester as well and hoping everything goes smoothly for graduation. I'm getting my BA in Psychology and minoring in Japanese studies. It can be a lot of work but things can be rewarding sometimes. I love art and am thinking about being an art therapist afterward. I probably have a lot of advice but a few things come to mind:

If you're thinking of getting a room-mate think how well you might do together beforehand and if things go sour, just get out of the situation instead of grinning and bearing it. I had a bad room-mate with one of my friends and after awhile we decided to live together somewhere else things were so much better and I wish we did it sooner.

Even if you doubt yourself or your degree, keep going and just at least finish with one degree if you feel you can't make up your mind (like me!)

Go abroad if you can! There's often scholarships with your school and it's a highly valuable experience especially if you are studying the language of the country you visit. Like in my case Japan.

Back