• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

I'm starting to like traditional more than digital art

xSuperMario64x

Canadian at heart 💜🇨🇦
Bells
Switch
8558-0128-9692
Island
He/him
Purple Hybrid Rose
Blue Hybrid Hyacinth
Golden Watering Can
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Rose
White Rose
So I initially thought that I could really get into digital art, but after looking at some comparisons, I'm starting to think otherwise...

Here's a few drawings I've done of my OC Scarlett on Colors 3D:
XaaJFVA.jpg

y4iqJgm.jpg

And here's a few drawings I did on paper recently of the same character:
This drawing kinda bothers me a bit, but eh, it's practice.
scarlett sketch.jpg
I just did this headshot a few minutes ago as practice and I really like it.
scarlett headshot.jpg
EDIT (10-8-17 10:37AM): I drew this one late last night too:
sBQDrUw.jpg

What do you think? Should I start sticking to traditional drawings? I mean, sure, I'll still do some digital ones, but I really just like the texture and form of my traditional drawings more.

Last edited:
I like digital since I want to clean up lines and stuff alot. I also find that while drawing on paper, I can't erase as easily but I don't need to erase as often as with digital. Coloring in traditionally can be very time consuming, the look is special though. Digital is more of a shiny look. It really depends. I'd say if you enjoy traditional drawing, go for it!

Well two reasons why I like traditional are:
1. I like sketchy pictures. Most of the time I don't color my traditional drawings and I like to leave them with a bit of a messy look (as seen in the headshot drawing), and
2. When I do color, I personally think traditional blending is much easier than digital. I like to shade my drawings and I have a very hard time doing thag with digital art.

But that's just my opinion.

I prefer traditional over digital. I feel like it's because I'm better at traditional and have only been doing digital for two years. But your digital and traditional both look like you're on the same level. Both look great! :)

I love the look of sketches in traditional art, and your sketches are really nice ^^ Traditional art is suuuper underrated...

I agree with Maycee, traditional is really underrated, but imo is much better. I definitely prefer your traditional sketch.

I think both are good! I'm kind of in the same thing right now though, like I love doing my digital drawings, but I personally think I am so much better with traditional. I hadn't done much traditional in a long time, but Inktober is giving me inspiration to draw and I'm like, man why don't I do this more often? I need to learn how to turn my traditional into line-art and clean it up, because I think I am better at drawing traditionally, but coloring digitally, so I need to bring them together.

I added more examples on there.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I agree with Maycee, traditional is really underrated, but imo is much better. I definitely prefer your traditional sketch.

Same! Especially after drawing a full-body of my OC... now I'm really leaning toward traditional.

Back