Why are animal crossing amiibo so cheap?

Linksonic1

Let's have a kiki
Bells
Holiday Candy Cane 2018
Coco
Holiday Candy Cane 2017
Jingle Christmas Doll
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
Leif
June Birthstone (Pearl)
Holiday Candy Cane 2016
Tasty Cake
The game stop where I live now sells all animal crossing amiibo for 4 dollars. Does anyone know why the price went down?

Most likely because of the Switch. I imagine they are exclusive to the Wii U, since they were made for a Wii U game (and a 3DS game).

Maybe because the game they were originally meant to be with sold so badly? Amiibo Festival obviously sold poorly so maybe they thought the amiibos wouldn't sell if the game didn't?

I would say it's a general thing from what I've seen. The amiibo hype train has kind of died and the only amiibo really selling for retail or above are a select few 'rare' ones and new ones. I'm always seeing various amiibo with bargain bin prices since stores just can't get rid of the things otherwise.

The AC amiibo themselves are also pretty useless. Their main title is a game about 2 people care about (Amiibo Festival), secondarily one that didn't exactly blow up the charts either (Happy Home Designer) and the big title in their franchise, New Leaf, has more specific functionality with Link than it does any actual AC Amiibo. These things are utterly useless in terms of functionality...Even Ryu is more desirable in terms of functionality, because statistically you probably have more chance of owning the game he actually does something specific in than with the AC amiibo.

The only people I imagine are buying the AC amiibo are people are the more invested AC fans who might pick up the characters they like for display purposes, amiibo fanatics and both people that like Amiibo Festival...It's no wonder they're getting the most severe price cuts in an attempt to get rid of them.

You know what, with prices like that I might as well buy several. I've always liked the Isabelle, Tom Nook and K.K. Slider amiibos, so they'd be nice for display purposes.

I guess the hype train has died down... Not complaining because im kinda late to the amiibo party so less money spent CX

Animal Crossing produced quite a few figures for a game that did really really poorly. Chances are the AC line just wasn't selling well so they are shifting stock. Plus they released four new BotW figures, are currently re-printing some of the more desirable SSB figures, and have a few more new ones on the way.

Not sure but I've only known Gamestop online to have always had cheaper amiibos. Especially the cards s1-s3 really cheap, at around $4. Even before WA was released. So I doubt it's like that just because of the Switch release. They just seem to have always had good prices - when they're in stock!

Last edited:
They're not that cheap compared to other amiibos. The regular price here is ?12, though a few stores have them (permanently?) discounted to ?8. I've not seen them cheaper anywhere, though.

This thread got me curious so I called my local Gamestop. With the release of the Switch and no foreseeable AC games in the near future, they are simply trying to reduce the stock they have to clear room for newer Amiibo Figurines. Sadly, no Gamestops in my area seem to have the two AC Amiibo figures I need to complete my collection. Gamestop did this with the cards after Series 4 had been out for a while. They sold off their stock for low prices and discontinued the cards in stores until the Welcome Amiibo series was released. I am not really an Amiibo collector, I have a handful that work with various games I have. That said, Animal Crossing is probably my favorite game, and when they released the AC line, I knew I wanted to collect it despite them not having the best use until the AC:NL Welcome Amiibo update. I personally enjoy using them with my games, and honestly $4 isn't a bad price. If you enjoy figurines, it's a cheap way to get some of a game you probably love since you're on an Animal Crossing forum!

I guess because the game they were destined for died out. Amiibo Festival was not good at all. Cute,but a let down. But, collecting the amiibo's is still good! Due to the amiibos being so cheap ( and me being obsessed with Animal Crossing ) I decided to start collecting them, and I have been since last Christmas. I already have 10! :)

Back