• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Are amiibo cards worth it?

Vintage Viola

So-called Representative🌸
Bells
Switch
3770-9794-7011
Island
Pallet
Ghostly Preserves
Ghostly Preserves
Wallopoid
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Ocean Pearl
Dino Plush
Camp Bell Tree 2021 Patch
Pink Moon Jellyfish
Dino Plush
Clownfish Plush
I never use to use them before, not even for happy home designer. But being able to move in villagers with this new update has made me change my mind about them xD

The only real downside is that with buying the six pack you don't know who you're getting. Plus, you're prone to getting duplicates pretty often. That's the only thing keeping on the fence, but I'm still most likely going to be buying a reader and like ten packs of cards lol.

So how do you feel about amiibo cards? Would you buy them? Or would you rather get your faves through the campsite/through the forum?

I felt the same way at first, but now I'm addicted! On here they have the trading board so you can trade the ones you get for ones that you want with other people on here. Obviously a little risky but I've had great luck so far with my trades. It is great having your dream villagers at hand to move in, and then all the extra items of furniture you get with the welcome amiibo RV characters. I definitely say it's worth it! :)

I would say it's worth it, as a collector myself. And getting duplicates isn't the worst thing since you can trade them for the cards that you need, which is what a lot of us collectors do ^_^ It's really addicting and fun because you can switch up your villagers whenever you want, and you don't have to worry about losing your dreamies once you acquire all their cards. I love looking at my binder of amiibo cards!

They certainly come in very handy. I've taken to buying individual cards on eBay recently, though. It's kinda fun opening packs and seeing which villagers you get, but duplicates definitely suck.

I don't buy all of the villagers I want, though. I buy some cards (usually the cheaper ones), and try to get the more expensive and sought after villagers on here (I'm lookin' at you, Dobie and Vivian).

I buy packs rarely but I did take to buying singles off Ebay. Careful though, the popular characters are usually expensive but if you are patient you can usually find the ones you want at a cheap price. I'd say it's worth it, my amiibo cards binder make me happy when I'm usually sad. I can finally have who I want in my town without waiting for the campsite/random move-ins. Do be careful though, it's a hell of a rabbit hole to collect all the ones you want but I think that's half the fun :D

Last edited:
I think its worth it, it's so nice being able to get the items from the RV cards and move in my dreamies easier than paying out the butt in TBT for them. I also had most of my dreamies because I started collecting them for HHD and got hooked that way.

I think it's worth it if you buy a limited amount. I probably bought 5-6 packs myself, and I bought some single cards off people. That way you have a nice amount of cards plus a few of your favourite villagers. Once you turn to collecting all cards, you'll have a lot of duplicates and at some point buying new packs doesn't really add much anymore; that's when you have to trade with people in order to get the ones you're missing. It's probably pretty expensive to get all cards, though.

I think it's worth it if you buy a limited amount. I probably bought 5-6 packs myself, and I bought some single cards off people. That way you have a nice amount of cards plus a few of your favourite villagers. Once you turn to collecting all cards, you'll have a lot of duplicates and at some point buying new packs doesn't really add much anymore; that's when you have to trade with people in order to get the ones you're missing. It's probably pretty expensive to get all cards, though.

^Can confirm. This hole in my wallet proves it. XD I have all the Sanrio, a good dent in the Welcome Amiibo, almost all Series 1, Series 2 completed, series 3 completed, and a handful of series 4... ehuehuheuheuhe

All I can say is: once you start to collection, you can't stop until you complete everything XD they are quite addicted. I would say it is a great investment if Nintendo plan to release new Animal crossing game on console, it looks like Amiibo will be around for awhile until they comed up with new strategy to make us throw money to them. But if they plan to move AC to mobile, I highly doubt if the new cards be be used in the future. As for myself, I collect the classic cards because I really like to swap to different new villager, but the 10 villagers suck >.>because of that, I want to collect all the cards so if I ever get regret of losing my dreamies, I can scan the cards and get them back.

All I can say is: once you start to collection, you can't stop until you complete everything XD they are quite addicted. I would say it is a great investment if Nintendo plan to release new Animal crossing game on console, it looks like Amiibo will be around for awhile until they comed up with new strategy to make us throw money to them. But if they plan to move AC to mobile, I highly doubt if the new cards be be used in the future. As for myself, I collect the classic cards because I really like to swap to different new villager, but the 10 villagers suck >.>because of that, I want to collect all the cards so if I ever get regret of losing my dreamies, I can scan the cards and get them back.

Agreed! My binder is nearly full of villagers I thought were cute/awesome. But it's worth it. I love just thumbing through and seeing them all. You might watch to keep your wallet on oxygen though for this one :p

I've never thought about getting the cards, but last night I discovered the Sanrio cards and now I want them!! I'm not sure if I will actually go through with buying them though.

At first I thought they where kind of dumb and too expensive.. but now my purple card binder says otherwise.

I think the thing I adore most is that you can actually use the cards in-game to get items and villagers to move in instead of sitting in the corner of your closet/attic/basement collecting dust. They're pretty handy when building towns and takes a load off of you spending hours trying to cycle for them in a cycling town.

Personally I love buying packs and seeing who I get. Even if I get "bad" cards I still think it's absolutely worth it to put them by number in my binder. It's SUCH a satisfying feeling when Roscoe (#78) is right next to Truffles (#79). As for duplicates, I don't mind at all- I just put them behind one another. Though, the only time I do buy singles off online is only if I'm really desperate for them being in my town.

At first I thought they where kind of dumb and too expensive.. but now my purple card binder says otherwise.

I think the thing I adore most is that you can actually use the cards in-game to get items and villagers to move in instead of sitting in the corner of your closet/attic/basement collecting dust. They're pretty handy when building towns and takes a load off of you spending hours trying to cycle for them in a cycling town.

Personally I love buying packs and seeing who I get. Even if I get "bad" cards I still think it's absolutely worth it to put them by number in my binder. It's SUCH a satisfying feeling when Roscoe (#78) is right next to Truffles (#79). As for duplicates, I don't mind at all- I just put them behind one another. Though, the only time I do buy singles off online is only if I'm really desperate for them being in my town.

It really is satisfying ^_^ have you ever thought of trading cards?

I have four binders and still collecting and trading my doubles with other collectors. To me, it's absolutely worth it because it's a guaranteed way to get rid of villagers that you don't like and move in the ones that you do. If you have dreamies and have the card for them? Scan them, have them in the village the next day and force someone else out that you don't like.

It definitely beats 'harassing them with nets and pitfalls' until they go away-- or other such theories. As soon as a villager moves in that I don't like, I replace them instantly. Additionally, if you don't want them in your town, you can have them give you a gift or get their picture for your house instead.

I've met a lot of new friends by trading and sending the extra cards through the mail; I think it adds a lot to the AC community to be able to help eachother collect. They might be a bit expensive, but very well worth it.

It really is satisfying ^_^ have you ever thought of trading cards?

I think I might start soon when I gather enough duplicates/extras to trade! I think the idea is great and might be fun to swap with others online!(Also, I checked out your shop link and bookmarked your post for the future :D)

I think I might start soon when I gather enough duplicates/extras to trade! I think the idea is great and might be fun to swap with others online!(Also, I checked out your shop link and bookmarked your post for the future :D)

Oh wonderful! Hope to see you on the trading boards soon! ^_^

In my opinion whether amiibo cards are worth or not depends on a few things :

- how much disposal money you have (often tricky for under 18s)
- how much you play ACNL and plan to in the future
- having sufficient space to sort + store the cards safely (from pets/toddlers/helpful parents who may "clean up" for you, etc)
- knowing your limits + having reasonable self control (amiibo cards should never come before rent or bills, sadly)

I think I repeated myself a bit there, hopefully it still makes sense. Basically, if you decide to go ahead : work out how badly you want which particular cards (all, particular series, dreamies), set yourself a reasonable budget that you can afford, and be prepared to put in the time + effort to track the cards you want down for a price you can afford.

Oh, and shop around. Always! I've found series 1 + 2 at clearance in Target in Australia (not related to US one) for $2 a pack, and series 1, 2 and 3 albums at EB Games for $9 each.

Back