• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Tana Mongeau? (The N word drama, Tana vs Idubbz)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the word does have context. And it's still an offensive word with history regardless of what context you're using it in. You can't excuse a word's racist origins easily.

Alright. Well, I couldn't gather any context from what was written. What I'm trying to get across is that "b****" isn't offensive, but "you're a b****" is, at least in my opinion.

Right, sure, this isn't quite the same, but if it's such a big deal then no-one should be able to say it without the appropriate context (educational resources etc.) rather than just one race.

Alright. Well, I couldn't gather any context from what was written. What I'm trying to get across is that "b****" isn't offensive, but "you're a b****" is, at least in my opinion.

Right, sure, this isn't quite the same, but if it's such a big deal then no-one should be able to say it without the appropriate context (educational resources etc.) rather than just one race.
that one race should say it because it was what was used to oppress our ancestors to tell them that they were not to be respected. So when we come back and reclaim it for our own use, to change the meaning for OURSELVES, if you are not black just do not say it considering the history. End of story.

if they aren't black, then they shouldn't say it. end of story.
but honestly i think these youtubers try to stir up drama to gather ratings since people post and are attracted to drama. i have no idea who those two people are until i google them because of this thread and see two white people soo...
they shouldn't say it.
she says she "didn't know what it meant" PFT. yeah that's a lie.
and being a "comedian" don't give you a green card to use a racial slur that's targeted to a race other than your own. especially towards black people, as a white comedian. no matter the satire.

that one race should say it because it was what was used to oppress our ancestors to tell them that they were not to be respected. So when we come back and reclaim it for our own use, to change the meaning for OURSELVES, if you are not black just do not say it considering the history. End of story.

Um... I don't understand, but okay.

This. I truly don't understand why this is so hard for people to understand.

I get that, but he was also just quoting what someone else had said? It wasn't like he himself was using the slur as an insult against her in the video, whereas Tana evidently WAS in her videos. So you're saying if someone has said a slur you can't also say it when quoting them?

Also about satire appealing to "people who are genuinely racist" and thus making them feel justified - then that's just them missing the point of the humour and not justifying them? any one with some sort of intelligence will be able to work out when satire is satire and not something to be taken seriously - if someone feels like their beliefs are being justified in that sense then that's on them and not the person making the joke.
There's never an appropriate time to use a slur that doesn't belong to you. Theoretically speaking, if you're going to quote someone and you're aware of that, it doesn't hurt to not say the whole word or whatever. I don't know why this idea of using a slur has attempts to be justified.

Also that sort of humor, like I said previously, is niche satire. To expand on that though, what sort of joke comes from this humor? Look, an exaggerated racial stereotype, ha ha ha? The sort of thing that on its own even without the issue of people using this sort of humor to justify their bigoted beliefs still is responsible for normalizing this kind of thinking that people will take in subconsciously?

Last edited:
Is this thread gonna be closed like all the other political threads? I think yes.

Well, my personal belief is that I think nobody should be allowed to say any slurs at all, regardless of who's saying it, the exact millisecond it was said, the way it was pronounced, the way the tongue hit the roof of the mouth, which passageway they breathed through to get the word out, etc. But I'm not gonna argue that "oh, black people can't reclaim the 'n' word because I think this/that," because they do have the right to do so.

And I ain't seeing anyone defending his use of the word on here anyways.

Last edited:
i read "tana," "n word," and "idubbz" or whatever his username is and i already knew this drama is going to be petty. first, tana has absolutely no right to say the word nor tell mr. dubbz to kill himself, and mr. dubbz, although a comedian, should know that it isn't a joke once you strike someone's ethnicity, or the slur they use for their ethnicity. i watched one video by dubbz and i stopped mid video. why? his jokes aren't funny to me, they just seem more mean. i'm not for mean humour. my own opinions aside, it's not right to use another races' words as "fun" or just a word, because, just like wearing cornrows when you're white as ****, that's culture appropriation. i wish youtubers would stop making trying to stir up stupid ass drama with each other, seriously, this was the most stupid argument on who is right and who is wrong in a while. like both sides are ****ing dumb and wrong, end of story?

i hate double standards. i hate the fact that people think that the n word is okay if they're a different skin colour other than white. it's annoying.
or saying the f word, "b-but it's okay that i said it because i'm gay...." you know what, if you're allowed to say it just because you're slurring yourself, why can't everyone else?
i mean, i'm one who doesn't give a **** about most slurs, but that's just me.
back to the idubbbz stuff, i don't really care. tana could've absolutely destroyed him by just saying, "hey man, that wasn't that funny." but instead she just runs out and cries victim on twitter.

Couldn't care less about the word he used, nothing wrong with Tana thinking the word's wrong to use, but she seems to just have lied through the whole situation rather than debate about the actual use and just decided to kick up a storm. It's less of a "vs" and more of a mess from both of them.

Last edited:
Your explanation.
okay. Back in ye old slavery time, white slave owners would beat/rape/hurt their slaves. Constantly they would call them the n word with a hard er. This would continue for until slavery ended. Once black people were free and civil right movements and what not some black people decided If that word was derogatory towards me and my black brothers and sisters, why don't we try to change its history, make it a greeting. But never was it forgotten that the word came from uses that would oppress black people and say you don't deserve to be a human, you don't deserve rights and you don't derserve respect. But black purple, remember that, reclaimed it to change its connotation. So only black people, who were called the n word back in slavery time, can say the n word because it only effected them. Only black people can say it and use it. Non blacks saying the n word isn't a double standard they are just trashy and annoying.

okay. Back in ye old slavery time, white slave owners would beat/rape/hurt their slaves. Constantly they would call them the n word with a hard er. This would continue for until slavery ended. Once black people were free and civil right movements and what not some black people decided

If that word was derogatory towards me and my black brothers and sisters, why don't we try to change its history, make it a greeting. But never was it forgotten that the word came from uses that would oppress black people and say you don't deserve to be a human, you don't deserve rights and you don't derserve respect. But black purple, remember that, reclaimed it to change its connotation.

So only black people, who were called the n word back in slavery time, can say the n word because it only effected them. Only black people can say it and use it. Non blacks saying the n word isn't a double standard they are just trashy and annoying.

I already know the history, and some background on that sort of stuff, like Rosa Parks refusing to give up her bus seat etc.

Anyway, that's a more reasonable explanation. I still think it's a silly idea to call yourself that, but if that's what floats your boat, then sure.

There's one thing that Idubbbz has said that I completely agree with.

"They're either all okay, or none of them are okay." (referring to slurs and Tana's use of "kys" and "f*****")

I used to like Tana but now that I know she's a liar/hypocrite I don't like her anymore.

i hate double standards. i hate the fact that people think that the n word is okay if they're a different skin colour other than white. it's annoying.
or saying the f word, "b-but it's okay that i said it because i'm gay...." you know what, if you're allowed to say it just because you're slurring yourself, why can't everyone else?
i mean, i'm one who doesn't give a **** about most slurs, but that's just me.

giphy.gif

Reclaiming slurs isn't "slurring yourself". An LGBT person calling themselves a f***** is NOT the same thing as a straight person calling them that. Likewise, a black person calling themselves the N word is not the same thing as a white person calling them that. You don't get to reclaim a word that was never used against you and people like you throughout history, nor does hearing someone reclaim it give you the right to start using it!

giphy.gif

Reclaiming slurs isn't "slurring yourself". An LGBT person calling themselves a f***** is NOT the same thing as a straight person calling them that. Likewise, a black person calling themselves the N word is not the same thing as a white person calling them that. You don't get to reclaim a word that was never used against you and people like you throughout history, nor does hearing someone reclaim it give you the right to start using it!

so, it's alright to use disgusting slurs if you're not """privileged""" lol
of course it means the same thing. you can't do that.

Last edited:
I get ignored whenever I bring it up, but why are people so fixated on that word? Whether it's in real life, or on the internet during online play, forum discussions, etc... you almost always hear or read it, and it's usually from someone who isn't black. I rarely (or ever) hear black people using slurs of other races as a joke, for example instead of saying "Say Cheese!" in front of a camera, they say something like "Say Cr***er!" It's almost always the N word being used.

so, it's alright to use disgusting slurs if you're not """privileged""" lol
of course it means the same thing. you can't do that.

ok but who are you to say if a word for a certain race should not be used? it's literally their word. it has nothing to do with privilege. legit the most basic idea of using the n word is the person saying it must have the characteristics or attributes that it implies. if a white person used the word, they're basically saying that the person is inferior. so it's not about privilege, it's about the characteristics or attributes that the word requires to say it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I get ignored whenever I bring it up, but why are people so fixated on that word? Whether it's in real life, or on the internet during online play, forum discussions, etc... you almost always hear or read it, and it's usually from someone who isn't black. I rarely (or ever) hear black people using slurs of other races as a joke, for example instead of saying "Say Cheese!" in front of a camera, they say something like "Say Cr***er!" It's almost always the N word being used.

ever heard of #blacklivesmatter? do you know why it's not #alllivesmatter? because black people are targeted in society full of racists who think black people are inferior, because of their skin color. a lot of people think it's funny to be racist, or they want to say it to be cool. i am not saying other religions don't matter, because i'm sure they've all been persecuted at one time or another, but how many unfair cases do you see every ****ing day based on black people being treated unfairly or murdered because they're black? too often. far too often. remember that news story with the "college football player" who got bailed out with 1$ million when he murdered his girlfriend? the news article used the title "college football player" rather than murderer, what he truly is. while a black person would have automatically been killed if the cops found out.

so now you tell me why it's used so often? 1) those ****s who even think about using it in role-play when they are NOT a black person are racists ****s. 2) they this it's so cool to say the word that was used to put black people down. 3) they don't understand the context of the word and why it's so ****ing offensive. 4) they just don't care and love to appropriate culture that has been put down for centuries. that's it.

i have family and my ancestry leads to native americans and black people (my last name is from a black person, and my grandfather's dad is black). i think it's just part of my history that i should advocate for the race i see put down all the time. #blm

oh and it seems people think i'm getting angry at you, i'm not, just i hate people who think using the n word is ok when you're not a black person. soz.

Last edited:
if they aren't black, then they shouldn't say it. end of story.
but honestly i think these youtubers try to stir up drama to gather ratings since people post and are attracted to drama. i have no idea who those two people are until i google them because of this thread and see two white people soo...
they shouldn't say it.
she says she "didn't know what it meant" PFT. yeah that's a lie.
and being a "comedian" don't give you a green card to use a racial slur that's targeted to a race other than your own. especially towards black people, as a white comedian. no matter the satire.

let everyone say it or no one say it
preferably the former

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back