• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

*vent* I could use a hug

OoMayorSummeroO

beautiful disaster
Bells
Hello everyone, I hope this is the appropriate forum for this...I need to vent and I need some love...I don't know where else to share this and I figured some of you guys may understand..

Ok so I share my village with my 7yi daughter, but I play MUCH MUCH more then she does...I created the mayor (whom I named after her) all the characters...the clothes..all of it. I have put my time, my love, my attention, detail, care smd heart into the village.
Our village is my escape. I am a mom to 2 amazing little girls whom I love and adore...my husband works all the time, I live in a town where I don't know many people...I have some friends but none I'm super close with...and the parents of my oldest daughters friends look at me like I'm a child myself....
My village is my escape....my happy place...and when I discovered this game it was AWESOME!!!!!! I've been a gamer since I got my first Nintendo back in 1989...and besides EarthBound this game..is my favorite.
Anyways...my daughter always respects the village when she plays...and recently her cousins and she discovered they can visit one another's villages...now they don't play ACNL like we do...so they don't have ANY of the stuff in theirs so naturally they wanna come to ours...but they run around killing my grass, they chop down trees, pick flowers...and it upsets me. I nicely, calmly asked my daughter to go to THIER villages...and the boys didn't want to...after a while they went....

But now I look like an idiot cause my daughter told them that "my mommy doesn't want us back her village" and i know how STUPID that must sound...and I'm sure their mother. My sister in law thinks I'm a moron or a ***** or whatever...because I don't want her boys in my village...but she can't possibly understand...she doesnt play the game, and if she did I guarantee its not like I do!! When my husband asked me what was wrong and I tried explaining he rolled his eyes and was all, "seriously?! It's a game..."
But it's not just a game to me....I tried explaining to my daughter that it's like if she painted a picture...and she worked so hard on it, and I allowed her cousins to go and paint over it...I thought that was a pretty good analogy...

Anyways...I'm kinda upset about this, I look like an idiot...but I'm not one...I just don't want my hard work all ruined...*sigh* sometimes I hate the label of being an adult cause then you're not supposed to wanna play video games..or love them..

I totally understand how you feel!! If she's really getting into playing with her cousins, maybe you should pick up an extra cartridge -- Amazon has them as low as $16 on and off. It would be worth it so you could keep your town to yourself AND she could play as much as she likes with her cousins. Plus you could use the 2nd town to try things out that you don't want to do in your main town.

I understand your point of view :( People who don't play these kinds of games don't understand the effort it takes to actually build a town up. My sister also judges me for playing games and when I said to her that I can't wait till her kids (my nieces) are old enough so I could introduce them to games, she said "Are you seriously still going to be playing games when you're 30?" Lol. It's really irritating that there are hobbies that are labelled "just for kids" because honestly, it's sooo judgemental. But you know what my advice to you is? Just don't give a **** about what they think. They won't care to understand you, because they don't know the joys of ACNL or video games in general. But you do. And you don't need their approval or understanding to enjoy this game. So be proud, and be happy, my dear. You are surrounded by a community who think like you and understand your love for this game. Here's a hug from me to you, in hopes that you know you are not alone or wrong to feel this way. :)

Aww. That's awful! Of course you're allowed to like video games even though you're an adult! My AC:NL towns are very special to me as well and I'd freak out if someone destroyed them. Who wouldn't be angry if someone ruined something that was special to them? You have every right to be upset. *Hugs*

I COMPLETELY understand everything you wrote! I think all of us here who actively play the game know how sentimental and important the game is to us because it's therapeutic, and it allows a space to be creative. The painting analogy is perfect. And even though it's hard for others to understand, I think you handled it correctly, and this is a great life lesson for your daughter and nephews because this is something you care about tremendously, and they need to learn respect for other people's property, even if it's "just" a game (because it really ISN'T "just" a game!) *hugs*

*hug*
As an adult gamer, I can understand your position. The stigma that is attached to adult gamers can be harsh and uncompromising. (*sniff* I still choose you Pikachu!) I know that I have spent oodles of time landscaping my town, so I would hate to have someone come in and ruin it. That's why I have two towns, one for my obsessive landscaping and another for casual play.

Definitely don't allow those boys in the town. Your painting analogy is perfect. People who don't play ACNL don't understand how much work goes into a town. Seriously, I jave been working on mine for two years and it isn't even finished yet!
You put your effort into it and nobody, not even little kids can be excused to destroy it. You did the right thing.

I'm totally get it! I mean there's a reason we do wifi ratings on this site too right? We don't want people to come ruin our town! I wouldn't let them come to my town either. I think you're totally right for wanting her to go there! Do you have a cartridge version or the downloaded version? Whichever you have you can get the opposit one and make it her town for visiting them or them to come ruin. Then your sister in law doesn't have to know about your beautiful village! Just tell them you reset the town. Keep your beautiful village to yourself, it's your home away from home. My town is my baby too! ***hugsssss***

thats really unfair... animal crossing means so much to people! smh some people just dont understand that animal crossing is more than just a game... im sorry this happened :(

I totally get it. When I play with my niece and nephews...it's only over local wifi so I can take their DS and check their pockets for axes...because I work so hard on my town and they are too young to understand why I get upset if something goes wrong. I am a single woman who is an introvert to like the millionth degree. My town is important to me, I play it when I am done with my assignment, or when I'm too stressed or anxious to do anything else. It calms me and my therapist thinks it's perfectly fine to have this kind of game as a "vice" to get away from reality.

So don't be too hard on yourself. The people who judge you for being upset about your town, just don't understand because they either don't play or they are too "grown up" to understand. Personally I think adults with childlike wonder are the best adults. Too many of us grow up and lose that, and in my opinion it's what makes us unhappy.

***HUGS***

Last edited:
Also, do you need any tree saplings or some flowers to replace what they did? I would be happy to give you some free stuff!

IMG_0608.jpg

That sounds awful :( I can relate to that feeling where nobody understands how you feel about your town, my friend once tried to make me delete my town and when I told her no she was just like "why not? It's just a town" But it's more than a town to us acnl players.

yep, totally normal, and you shouldn't have to justify yourself. I have 3 boys so understand how you feel. I hope you can get your daughter her own game, and order some of the items from your catalogue to share with her and give her some hybrid etc. so her town is also interesting.

I totally understand how you feel!! If she's really getting into playing with her cousins, maybe you should pick up an extra cartridge -- Amazon has them as low as $16 on and off. It would be worth it so you could keep your town to yourself AND she could play as much as she likes with her cousins. Plus you could use the 2nd town to try things out that you don't want to do in your main town.

You LITERALLY took the idea/words right out from under me!!!!!! Lol! After today's debacle I came to that conclusion. Mr. Husband says I'm nuts and just is so freaking dismissive about it..but I guess one can't possibly understand if they themselves don't play or love their village like I do....bet you if it was his COD game or HALO or even worse his Star Wars games he'd understand!!!
But anyways...as I am typing I am doing my eyeliner to go out and head over to game stop and buy a new game for her lol

- - - Post Merge - - -

I could use some tulips....it seems the boys went after my hybrid tulips and my precious orange pansies that is FINALLY gotten to start spreading around my mayors home...*le sigh*

I am VERY new to this forum...so please enlighten me...how would one go about giving such items on here??

You LITERALLY took the idea/words right out from under me!!!!!! Lol! After today's debacle I came to that conclusion. Mr. Husband says I'm nuts and just is so freaking dismissive about it..but I guess one can't possibly understand if they themselves don't play or love their village like I do....bet you if it was his COD game or HALO or even worse his Star Wars games he'd understand!!!
But anyways...as I am typing I am doing my eyeliner to go out and head over to game stop and buy a new game for her lol

Yessss!!! Proud of you haha! Keep your village a priority in your life because it makes you smile! Good luck at game stop oo oo!!!

- - - Post Merge - - -

I could use some tulips....it seems the boys went after my hybrid tulips and my precious orange pansies that is FINALLY gotten to start spreading around my mayors home...*le sigh*

I am VERY new to this forum...so please enlighten me...how would one go about giving such items on here??

You go to the forum board titled 'Retail' and make a thread asking for whatever items you need or selling whatever items you need to sell. ^^

Your sister needs to teach her kids to respect other people's property. You sound like an excellent mother, and you're teaching your daughter good values, despite what your sister and her kids think.

Hahahahahah!!
Sounds terrible! I get teased all the time by my family about how serious I am about my town. They call me a dictator and communist. Just ignore them and enjoy your game! (Maybe get a second copy)

*hugs*
I'm an adult, I'm married, my husband plays games too and do live streams of games! We have no children but if I had, I would totally not want their friends or cousins or anyone to walk around my village destroying it!! No way!! Many more adults than we think actually play this game and enjoy it for the peace of mind, tranquillity and childhood feels that it gives. Our colorful little towns are our treasures, escape fantasy islands and we work a lot to make these towns the best to us! Of course some people won't understand why we play this game ...some people don't even understand what's the point. I'm lucky cause my husband likes AC too. But he prefers to play dead by daylight , FF, h1z1 etc.. anyway we all here understand you and support you. The only solution is to get a cartridge for your daughter and everyone will be happy :)

Back