• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Is it just me, or does New Leaf feel like it could be an MMO?

MagicAce

Part of your imagination
Bells
I mean, look at it! The bell system is a great currency system, with it being used to buy the classic MMO things; items, furniture, and the like. But unlike other MMOs, it could make it easier to gain bells without paying for it.

The game also feels like a game where you interact with other players all across the country. Obviously different servers for different countries to prevent this conversation;

"Hi!"
"現在大家跳起來吧!"
"..."

You can do pretty much anything with other players; design your town, go on tours on a certain island, host events... it seems pretty cool!

The only problem is the idea of handling individual towns. Perhaps you have an Overworld, where you can ask other players to come to your own personalized town? idk

But what do you think? Have fun discussing!
ps i encourage all of you to translate that Chinese ;) again, I hopefully made it better, probably not though

Last edited:
Alright, an MMO, a massive multiplayer online game. I'm imagining one 'town' with hundreds of players in it at once. What should they do together, is my question? Usually there's some kind of goal that you have to complete together. I like the idea of a large group of players playing together, but I'm unsure how it would go about.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Disappointed in the Chinese text. I expected it to be funny.

Alright, an MMO, a massive multiplayer online game. I'm imagining one 'town' with hundreds of players in it at once. What should they do together, is my question? Usually there's some kind of goal that you have to complete together. I like the idea of a large group of players playing together, but I'm unsure how it would go about.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Disappointed in the Chinese text. I expected it to be funny.

That was my problem too; what is the overarching story? There isn't really one in Animal Crossing. The only real goals you could complete are catching fish and bugs, deep sea diving, and going on Island tours. I can't really think of anything else.

also sorry you are disappointed with the Chinese text. I have no sense of humor :I

I like the idea but I disagree with the different servers thing.
As a person from a non-anglophone country I love chatting to people from different countries in English. :)
I wouldn't want to be with just people from my own country, no I want to talk with Americans, Russians, French people, Japanese people, etc. Don't leave me out! Haha.

I like the idea but I disagree with the different servers thing.
As a person from a non-anglophone country I love chatting to people from different countries in English. :)
I wouldn't want to be with just people from my own country, no I want to talk with Americans, Russians, French people, Japanese people, etc. Don't leave me out! Haha.

Ah yes, but I suppose you could pick a language server to go on. It seems like you're French (judging by your signature and user title), you could then choose to go on a French server with French speaking people or to go on an English server, where you could connect internatioanlly. :) I'm Dutch myself but there aren't much Dutch people (at least not on the island!), so I'd much love international as well.

If it were one big town, with a home for yourself, it'd be fun. It could be a game like, I don't know, Moshi Monsters? I'm sorry I couldn't think of any game,, I agree with international, I think it would be fun. I think AC could be an mmo.

I think an Animal Crossing MMO would be a ton of fun. I think there should be one big city that everyone and anyone can live in, but groups of friends or "guilds" could have their own towns separately, however I think guild owned towns should only have like 1 fruit, maybe 5 types of fish and bugs to make it fair. So the guild members would still have to go to the city to catch all the bugs, fish, and gather all the different fruits, but they'd have access to some at their guild town if the city is fresh out of those items for the day.

Maybe they could add crafting sort of like Fantasy Life, so you can take materials to your home or a shop and create items that you can sell to other players.

I'm glad you guys are crafting ideas! Everyone's been great.

@lunarkitty; I see where you're coming from, I definitely love socializing with people across the globe in other MMOs! The main problem however would be languages. The reason why there would be different servers in different countries is to prevent the English-Chinese Traditional conversation from happening. If there was a global chat, it would be a mess to moderate if people from 20 countries are speaking in 20 different languages. Unless maybe you hired moderators with good skills in the languages that are used in the MMO... hm...

@Barbara; Yes, that would be an excellent solution! You could either log on to:
a. An international server, or;
b. A server where they speak the main language (for example since you are Dutch there would be the international server and then the Dutch speaking server).

@Barbara; Yes, that would be an excellent solution! You could either log on to:
a. An international server, or;
b. A server where they speak the main language (for example since you are Dutch there would be the international server and then the Dutch speaking server).

Haha yes, except I'd probably also want to visit the French server some time, because I'm learning French. ^^ I suppose you could choose your language when going online, or pick (up to 3/4) favourite languages?

@Barbara Yeah, choosing a language would be helpful, in particular for non-native residents of countries or areas (for example if you were a Russian living in France or something). As well as your server.

Picking favorite languages would also be good, you could talk to people of different cultures without having to live there :)

On this other forum I'm on, residents of non-anglophone countries have to post a simple message (basically something like this post) to prove that they can speak English. It doesn't have to be perfect, just understandable.
Perhaps that could be something for the international server? That way everyone could understand each other and still get in touch with people from all over the world.
And then the international server will have to have an 'English only' rule. It would make perfect sense if you ask me. :) If you want to speak something else you can just pick a different language server.

Last edited:
I think it would be too much work for Nintendo to get an entire team together to check those messages... Better would be to just let everyone in and report the ones who are speaking other languages, then those will be checked by Nintendo.

By the way, I'm a bit curious about that forum... Do they let in (possibly native) people that write with 'y' and 'u' and can't write normal sentences? I see a lot of them around here, and it shocks me to see some are native speakers. (mostly from the USA I've noticed)

Good idea!

Technically they do, but it is discouraged. When people write like that, which doesn't happen often, usually someone will ask them to please write out their sentences properly. The only times I've seen it it was used in a joking context. This particular internet community is over 20 years old and in the beginning years people talked like that more often so you'll sometimes see it in nostalgia threads. :) But that's all good fun ^^

Bamp.

I wish all of these ideas could be compiled into an ACTUAL Animal Crossing MMO. If only I knew how to make 3d models. And draw art. And program. And create music. And...

This really sounds like a nice idea.
Tbt would take over and we'll take over as the Mafia XD

I'd also like more villager interactivity. To make them act more like real people instead of programmed pixels.

Here are my suggestions;

-Perhaps catch them decorating their house?
-More chats between villagers. As well as more than 2 villagers being able to talk to each other.
-FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS, MAKE THEM DONATE MORE TO MORE PWPs. did I say that out loud?
-More variations between villagers. They all keep their personalities, but each one acts a little different, making them more like individuals.
-More minigames to play with them. Tag is my favorite candidate. Tag is also a perfect MMO multiplayer game.

Back