• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

The "How Can I Improve?" FAQ

That Zephyr Guy

crouton.net
Bells
Peach (Fruit)
Sakura Easter Egg
Easter Egg
Over the past few months, I've been seeing a lot of people fall into a very weird cycle:

They get into drawing (for the first time or again)
They draw something
They ask for critique on it
And then they get frustrated, leading to them either not drawing for a while or again period.

tumblr_m4pgdbaKXd1qieg8po1_500.png

I'm hoping to make this thread as a means to give people a good idea of what they can do to improve as someone who is starting to draw, or are fairly inexperienced at drawing. (I'm not too good myself so I can't really offer solid advice for people who have been drawing longer than I have, y'know?)

First and foremost: the best tip I can give anybody on how to improve is to practice. It's really frustrating to watch somebody get super enthusiastic about art, and then give up when they aren't seeing results in a week. Drawing takes time. Drawing takes years. If you aren't willing to put in the effort to practice then you won't see results.

Chuck Jones said:
Every artist has thousands of bad drawings in them and the only way to get rid of them is to draw them out.

Next, what sort of medium are you planning on working on? Traditional, or digital?
If you want to learn traditional - pick up a sketchbook and a set of pencils, and practice.
If you want to learn digital - pick up a copy of either SAI or PS, as well as a tablet, and practice.

(If you need a copy of paint tool SAI, here is a link to version 1.1, the 2nd most recent version as of 4/10/16.)

But how do you practice? Surely there are better ways to rather than just drawing a bunch of really bad stuff, right? And yeah, that's true. There are more productive ways to learn, and I'll list out a couple of the ways that I practice:

Tracing. Tracing, I feel, gets a really bad rap in the art community. Whenever we hear the word "trace" all of our minds immediately jump to art theft. Tracing doesn't have to be bad, it just depends on how you use it. When I was learning how to draw as a 4th grader many years ago, the first thing I did was print out a bunch of pictures from my favorite anime and trace over them for hours and hours. Tracing as a learning tool is fantastic for teaching new artists the basics of anatomy, style, poses, flow, and even perspective. As long as you don't claim the art as your own, then there's nothing wrong with tracing.

After a certain point however, tracing won't be as effective. This is because you'll already be forming a style and will have the artistic skill to learn from pictures without having to trace. This is about where references become a good replacement, because while you're good enough to not have to rely on tracing, you still need to learn from other ways, so what ways are there?

Personally I study pictures that interest me, watch tutorials, keep a list of reference material, and mimick styles I'd like to see in my own art. There are other methods, but these are the ones I use.

Studying pictures that interest you. You ever see a picture that really just catches your eye and you don't know why? Save it, and look at it when you draw. Chances are something in the picture really caught your attention and you can use it to apply new techniques to your own art. For example, if I'm scrolling through tumblr or reddit and somebody posts a picture of a person doing a backflip, I might keep the picture in my bookmarks for a while so I can look at it every once in a while to get a better understanding of how people's bodies work while they're in that particular motion.
tumblr_mi4lghTgSJ1qgh2ixo1_540.jpg

tumblr_o45eeuLMm71uu2a4qo1_540.png

tumblr_mk18pmYS6Y1qlrheto1_540.png

tumblr_msfin6quhs1qhz2z0o1_540.png
tumblr_mvseqvHsMF1qhttpto2_r1_540.jpg

Watch tutorials. I think this is honestly the 2nd best tip I can somebody apart from simply practicing. There's a reason that people teach art classes, and there's a reason why tutorials are so popular on youtube. They give you a detailed step-by-step guide on how to draw better. Very recently in fact, I had been having problems learning perspective, and on a quick google search I found this very helpful video:

Keep a list of reference materials. Nobody can be expected to know how to draw everything perfectly. Learning how to draw something comes from hours or days of practice to learn it's nuances. Keeping your references handy is very good for when you find yourself stuck on a particular part of a picture.
tumblr_o4e140LOk11ttatwro1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n6bfdiTTgX1twkucxo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_o1emkpKtud1uiohfwo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_mfie93Zlj31rhqfm7o1_540.png

Mimick styles you want to see in your own art. The biggest complaint I hear from artists is "I can't seem to develop a style". Everybody has a style, it's just all about developing a style that you like. Biggest thing you can do to forge your own style is see the things in styles you like and implement them into your own work. Sooner or later, bits and pieces of the things you like will find their way into your work and your style will probably feel a lot more comfortable to you. Keep in mind though, as an artist, you're bound to be overcritical of your work. Nobody will hate your work more than you do.

Never stagnate. Something I'm sometimes guilty of, and I see so many people guilty of too, is that they never leave their comfort zone. They're afraid to feel bad. They're afraid of failure. Don't be. Failing is the first step to improvement. Pain is just weakness leaving the body. That sort of deal. I have a little mantra that I say to myself occasionally when I learn something new, "Difficulty breeds excellence.". In short, nothing worth having is easy. If you're having a difficult time, you're likely on the right path.

Another thing that can help you learn to draw, and this is very particular with perspective and anatomy, is to look up pose generators. Setting aside an hour or even just 30 minutes a day to draw randomly generated poses will benefit you significantly.

Hopefully this FAQ will provide more accessibility to people looking to draw as well a people looking to improve at drawing, but moreso it hopefully cuts down on the people posting threads asking people to critique their 2nd piece of art ever.

I heavily encourage people to reply to this post with their methods of improvement. As much as we like to make fun of ourselves on here, we do in fact have an art community here on TBT, so the least we could do is help everyone out a little bit in terms of improvement.

Last edited:
you were talking about a random pose generator and I was like "oh, never tried that!"
here's a good one I found:

http://senshistock.com/sketch/
Some of the poses look really silly, but other than that it's cool.

It has tags that you can look through so if you're looking for maybe a falling pose it'll generate that specific type for you.
Thanks for this post, Zeph. It'll definitely help some people out.

Last edited:
WOW! This is extremely helpful to all artist, whether they're novices or professionals :D
Thank you so much for writing this! I feel that over the years my art has did a some major improvement.
I'd love to share my art with my fellow TBT members someday!

The best thing for me is experimentation.

As you try out different methods of drawing and coloring, you find out what styles and methods you like and don't like. The next time you draw, you keep practicing the parts that you like and change the parts that you didn't in reference to the previous piece. Eventually you mess around enough until you feel satisfied with a unique style that is your own (but if you don't have a consistent style, then that's fine too).

I mean this is just what I think and do. I am in no means a professional nor have I sold any art for currency before.

Really glad that you wrote about stuyding images that interest you - a lot of the time when people ask how they can improve in drawing, others wills say 'practice is everything'. While they're not wrong, looking at artwork that you like can be equally as important - after all, if you don't study artwork that you like, how will you be able to know how to draw the things you like? You can't draw something well if you've never seen it before.
Great job on the guide Zephyr (y)

Also one more thing to leave with:
The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried to begin.

Oh, I remember when I used to draw all the time during school.
For some reasons, it was always odd with me. I was always comfortable drawing for school, or any homework that involved drawing and stuff.
But for some reason, I was never comfortable drawing personal projects at home. It was like I got to be me at school, but for some reason, that never happened at home.

I did have a tablet at one point, used it only once and then never used it again. I ended up selling it to someone who needed it for his job.

tbh for me i just draw and if i like the effect try and draw it again and again lol

Thanks for making this thread and giving out some interesting tips! As someone who never took to art until a few weeks ago after seeing all the amazing artists on here, this is really helpful! If no one else gets any use out of it I sure will! Aha but I'm sure there are many people on here wanting to gain more knowledge about art. When I come across anything I'll post it to help others too.

Sometimes, I find it hard to find fitting references, if I have my own idea for the pose and perspective. Trying my own photos is not easy as it seems. I need a session to choose this perfect one. I preordered posable figure and I hope it will be easier. I have my doubts, since the figure seems so small, but I saw those pictures on tumblr with a good result, so I'll try to stay positive.
tumblr_o6hdzwtrke1qzdctco5_1280.jpg
tumblr_o6hdzwtrke1qzdctco1_1280.jpg

Edit: However, I do not recommend this way since it's kinda pricey and it won't magically make anyone better at drawing.

Last edited:
Sometimes, I find it hard to find fitting references, if I have my own idea for the pose and perspective. Trying my own photos is not easy as it seems. I need a session to choose this perfect one. I preordered posable figure and I hope it will be easier. I have my doubts, since the figure seems so small, but I saw those pictures on tumblr with a good result, so I'll try to stay positive.

Edit: However, I do not recommend this way since it's kinda pricey and it won't magically make anyone better at drawing.

I just use my normal figmas, but im considering getting an archetype she haha

p2dKmwm.png

I've been trying to improve my poses for the most part. I'm kinda going with a more "comic" style now, but it's not coming out as well as I'd like. Trying to incorporate my 3D art skills into my 2D art, and I guess practice makes perfect.

Last edited:
Honestly, Zeph, I do the same thing. I take art that I love that I find places, such as tumblr, deviantart, etc. and save them for reference. In fact, I saved some of the art on your OP too :') Anyway, I implement elements that stand out to me about other's art. Note to artists: this is NOT a bad thing!! Implementing these things from other artists will help you develop a more unique, personal, and comfortable style for you!
Another thing I do is take certain art from artists I love, and (without claiming them as my own, or posting them) I redraw the pictures without tracing. I do this over and over, many times, until a few elements and techniques used in the art stick with me and I can use it effectively in my own art!<3

Last edited:
Back