• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Snip

When you look up to people and things that are amazing or inspiring, they usually did not get there following the status quo. They made a step out and took a risk, tried something different.

My friend is going through the same thing, but a bit more extremely. He was a signed musician in another country, but teriminated his contract after a few years because he wasn't getting any artistic freedom. But because he was so young at the time, he missed university so now he's looking for a job back at home with only a high school diploma and a certificate in audio production. He's conflicted because he loves music and (if there were no limitations) wants to be a songwriter/producer, but is scared because the music industry job market is so uncertain, unstable, hard to get into (because his work was in another country, it's not as credible for employers here?)... so he's debating whether or not to get a stable job in another field but doesn't know what.

I keep telling him to try for something in the music industry anyways, because it's better than getting a random 'stable' job and quitting it/being unhappy for YEARS despite having good money ;-;

Last edited:
I understand what you mean. I just wanted to say, I think as soon as you get started in your career, there would be no harm in doing what you did on Tumblr again, or something similar. Even if it's not what you want to do, as long as it's not distracting you, it could be a hobby.

When you look up to people and things that are amazing or inspiring, they usually did not get there following the status quo. They made a step out and took a risk, tried something different.

Thank you, Trundle. I'll remember that.

My friend is going through the same thing, but a bit more extremely. He was a signed musician in another country, but teriminated his contract after a few years because he wasn't getting any artistic freedom. But because he was so young at the time, he missed university so now he's looking for a job back at home with only a high school diploma and a certificate in audio production. He's conflicted because he loves music and (if there were no limitations) wants to be a songwriter/producer, but is scared because the music industry job market is so uncertain, unstable, hard to get into (because his work was in another country, it's not as credible for employers here?)... so he's debating whether or not to get a stable job in another field but doesn't know what.

I keep telling him to try for something in the music industry anyways, because it's better than getting a random 'stable' job and quitting it/being unhappy for YEARS despite having good money ;-;

It saddens me very much to think of all the artists out there who may never be discovered, and all of the talent that may simply go to waste. I wish him the best of luck.

I understand what you mean. I just wanted to say, I think as soon as you get started in your career, there would be no harm in doing what you did on Tumblr again, or something similar. Even if it's not what you want to do, as long as it's not distracting you, it could be a hobby.

Yes, I suppose so. I just feel like I need to focus my attention more on music at the moment, which is providing incredibly difficult. I don't feel at ease writing like I always have. I feel quite pressured.

Look,maybe if not a pro expert in this things,but
First,look in what are u better,Art or sing?Sacrifice can be one step to success or failure,so just see in what are u better,bc if u make a sacrifice,ur life can be ruin or not.
Now,either if you're good in art or sing,now,don't stop,dont stop doing what u want to do,of course,alot of people will make u fall,when dat happens,just get up and continue,like Genji says:
"Fall 7 times,get up 8"
The only thing that can stop u for continue is you,if u give up or just doesn't want to do more
Never give up,and just continue,dont care about the others,just do it.

I feel like I'm in almost the same exact position as you are. I'm a polymath, so I'm interested in many different subjects. It's both rewarding and disappointing because it's harder to aim all of my energy into just one area of my interests for the long run.

What I learned is that I need to trust my gut, and I feel like you should too. As cliche as it sounds, you need to do what makes you happy. If music is what you're good at and if it makes you happy, then go for it! Go for it with every ounce of determination you got. If it ultimately doesn't work out in the way that you want one day, you can always try something else. Life is all about change and growth. It's full of room for us to make mistakes. Without mistakes, how can any of us truly know whether what we desire is good for us or not? As an example, try to remember some people who are highly successful because they attempted to separate themselves from their comfort zone. They looked at their insecurities, laughed them off, and dove into whatever they wanted to do.

I just read your comment above stating how you're pressured with your writing. Is it because of stress or outside influences? If so, maybe your anxiety is all coming down to how you're subconsciously feeling. Writing is supposed to be enjoyable, right? It's supposed to be a way of reflecting your inner thoughts? If you're not feeling all that great, you could try to find ways to feel at peace with your surroundings. (It's what I do. I vent to a friend, play relaxing video games, watch comforting movies, clean, take a bath, take a quiet walk, etc.) Once you make the time to take a breather, you'll have more room in your mind to focus on creating beautiful works of art, writing, etc. I hope that snippet of advice works.

Last edited:
Look,maybe if not a pro expert in this things,but
First,look in what are u better,Art or sing?Sacrifice can be one step to success or failure,so just see in what are u better,bc if u make a sacrifice,ur life can be ruin or not.
Now,either if you're good in art or sing,now,don't stop,dont stop doing what u want to do,of course,alot of people will make u fall,when dat happens,just get up and continue,like Genji says:
"Fall 7 times,get up 8"
The only thing that can stop u for continue is you,if u give up or just doesn't want to do more
Never give up,and just continue,dont care about the others,just do it.

Thank you. I know the whole "never give up" thing is a pretty common way of encouraging someone, but it really does help.

I feel like I'm in almost the same exact position as you are. I'm a polymath, so I'm interested in many different subjects. It's both rewarding and disappointing because it's harder to aim all of my energy into just one area of my interests for the long run.

What I learned is that I need to trust my gut, and I feel like you should too. As cliche as it sounds, you need to do what makes you happy. If music is what you're good at and if it makes you happy, then go for it! Go for it with every ounce of determination you got. If it ultimately doesn't work out in the way that you want one day, you can always try something else. Life is all about change and growth. It's full of room for us to make mistakes. Without mistakes, how can any of us truly know whether what we desire is good for us or not? As an example, try to remember some people who are highly successful because they attempted to separate themselves from their comfort zone. They looked at their insecurities, laughed them off, and dove into whatever they wanted to do.

I just read your comment above stating how you're pressured with your writing. Is it because of stress or outside influences? If so, maybe your anxiety is all coming down to how you're subconsciously feeling. Writing is supposed to be enjoyable, right? It's supposed to be a way of reflecting your inner thoughts? If you're not feeling all that great, you could try to find ways to feel at peace with your surroundings. (It's what I do. I vent to a friend, play relaxing video games, watch comforting movies, clean, take a bath, take a quiet walk, etc.) Once you make the time to take a breather, you'll have more room in your mind to focus on creating beautiful works of art, writing, etc. I hope that snippet of advice works.

I wasn't expecting to have such a philosophical conversation, but I'm incredibly intrigued by your response.

That's exactly how I feel. There is just so much I've learnt and got used to, that separating each part is difficult. You know what it's like? It's like if you removed a particular colour from a painting, and then got rid of another colour, and then another, and then another. You have to choose one element of that painting to keep, and somehow still make it as beautiful as it was when it was fully coloured. That's how I feel.

It's very nice to think I'd have my other creative work to fall back on, should I turn out a failure in the music industry, but I have a passion for it, and I'm most afraid that I will indeed be a failure in the music industry. Heck, making it to the music industry is a stretch in itself. When I turned down the offer for theatre work, it was because I didn't feel I'd be passionate enough. I lack the passion for that sort of thing, yet I may be sacrificing a decent creative opportunity for an even more unrealistic career.

I've a lot of lyrics lately, but no melodies have come to mind yet. Last night I wrote a very short song, and I've pretty much abandoned it since. I can't seem to let my emotions go and express them, because I'm afraid it's not worth it. I definitely agree it would be a good idea to take some time off, at least for a little while. I feel so unorganised, and for a perfectionist like myself, it does make me feel anxious.

What frightens me most is that I may indeed not be worth a thing. Music was always my comfort zone for letting feelings like that go, and now I feel slightly foolish to continue. I feel as if I'm mourning, actually. I feel like I've left a part of me on the shelf, so to speak, and I've come back for it when I've needed it most, and it's not there anymore. It's been stolen, and I'm searching for it. That's how it feels for me right now. I'm very concerned for my potential. What if I'm rubbish, you know? What if I have false hope?

Back