• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Who is upset about Nintendo's "Spin-off" year at E3?

Were you happy or upset about Nintendo's "Spin-Off year" at E3?

• Happy!

Votes: 19 19.2%
  • Upset...

Votes: 80 80.8%

• Total voters

Midoriya

Go beyond! Plus ultra!
Bells
Switch
1119-7626-0996
Island
Sumeru
Purple Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
So basically we got a Spin-Off Pokemon game with no new Pokemon main game yet announced, two new Animal Crossing Spin-off games with no AC Wii U announced, very few if at all digital releases, some Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi stuff, and that's it. Who else is upset about Nintendo's "Spin-Off year" at E3?

Last edited:
I bummed out, but I'm not totally disappointed.

The Four Swords game looks fun, and the M&L Paper Mash game made me hyped as crap.
So it's not a total lost.

- - - Post Merge - - -

And a new Star Fox game....YES.

But I wish we got a new Metroid game.

The only thing that got me hyped up is this. No Mario Kart 8 DLC, no AC:WIIU Announcement. Just plain this...

I know, its rare to find a TBTer who actually likes Skylanders. But guys, will you only buy those just for your amiibo collection and the game itself? Or just for your collection?

the funny thing is that the new Skylanders game looks more interesting than most of the event and it's not even a nintendo game

Honestly, it was pretty obvious they wouldnt announce a main series pokemon or animal crossing game.
Kinda your own fault if you got your hopes up or were mislead by the amiibo. Sounds kinda harsh but it's true.
No need for people to throw shade at Nintendo just because they didn't get what they wanted.

Wasn't expecting pokemon or animal crossing at all. I was mostly watching it for Fire Emblem and Star Fox.

One of the worsts showcases i have ever seen (E3). A N64-graphics Star Fox, a sportsy Metroid spin-off, the same Mario Tennis since GameCube days WITH NEW POWERUPS AH SO AORIGINALALLL!!11, a Four-Swords adventures ****ty sequel and the beginning of Animal Crossing's prostitution, one of the only ips remaining with no spin offs.

But i must say the Happy Home Desginers looks pretty cool (for 19.99$, yup).

So yeah, the spin-off year.

I am sort of in the middle, I was pretty happy (Not over the moon or anything, but saw a lot of stuff I want to buy) but everyone's negativity over no AC Wii U is getting me down... Can people just stop being a load of misery guts and acting like it is the end of the world since they didn't get their way? (I have seen three year olds at work who behave better when they don't get their way and I see lots of three year olds everyday at the zoo)

We potentially have lots of Directs to look forward to, you never know AC Wii U may be announced in one of them.

I personally don't care. Yes, they may be spinoffs, but they're also likely to be quality games in the meantime, rather than abysmal shovelware. So I don't know why everyone's making a big deal out of it. It's not the end of the world.

I personally don't care. Yes, they may be spinoffs, but they're also likely to be quality games in the meantime, rather than abysmal shovelware. So I don't know why everyone's making a big deal out of it. It's not the end of the world.
And plus. There are more Nintendo Directs to look after, right?

Because games like Monopoly Animal Crossing sound really abysmal. People have the right to criticize these odd ball decisions. It's E3, one of the biggest gaming events of the year where it's all about the big stuff, so of course people will be mad if it it's wasted by random spin-offs that hardly look fun. Not to mention that the games that did look fun were mostly ones we already knew much about.

Are you saying you'd still tell people to not complain if they only revealed Mario Party 11 with the car mechanic, the parrot from the Sound Test for SSB4 DLC, and Animal Crossing Candy Crush? If it's something that looks stupid, boring, or stale and it's being shown where you're supposed to showcase the best that you have, of course people are going to be upset, so don't spew this garbage that they can't be disappointed or upset.

As for the Animal Crossing games, I reeeeally hope that they just stick to the main series. I would be appalled if they gave it tons of spin-offs and it got shoved everywhere in my face. With Mario the characters are cool but seeing Isabelle EVERYWHERE will get on my nerves and make me want to punch her.

Because games like Monopoly Animal Crossing sound really abysmal. People have the right to criticize these odd ball decisions. It's E3, one of the biggest gaming events of the year where it's all about the big stuff, so of course people will be mad if it it's wasted by random spin-offs that hardly look fun. Not to mention that the games that did look fun were mostly ones we already knew much about.

Are you saying you'd still tell people to not complain if they only revealed Mario Party 11 with the car mechanic, the parrot from the Sound Test for SSB4 DLC, and Animal Crossing Candy Crush? If it's something that looks stupid, boring, or stale and it's being shown where you're supposed to showcase the best that you have, of course people are going to be upset, so don't spew this garbage that they can't be disappointed or upset.

As for the Animal Crossing games, I reeeeally hope that they just stick to the main series. I would be appalled if they gave it tons of spin-offs and it got shoved everywhere in my face. With Mario the characters are cool but seeing Isabelle EVERYWHERE will get on my nerves and make me want to punch her.
Oh, people are allowed to be upset and to criticise, but when people are actively trying to make you feel bad about actually liking the spin offs and acting like it is the end of the world (I mean starting a thread encouraging people to dislike a trailer in the hopes that it will get Nintendo to cancel the game?!) then that is just silly. People are acting like since AC Wii U wasn't announced today it never will be, but we will have quite a few more Nintendo Directs this year in which it could be announced!
Apart from that one thread, TBT is taking E3 a lot better than other websites, I've seen lots of calls for boycotts and hate thrown about on Tumblr.

I left work today really excited about the conference, still felt very excited after watching the conference and then I came on TBT and other websites and now my excitement has fizzled out because of all the negativity... Hey at least I'll actually be able to get all the AC Amiibo since nobody seems to want Amiibo Festival!

But yeah, people can criticise the games all they want but don't spoil it for people who are looking forward to the games!

Last edited:
That's exactly what they're doing. Just because the feedback is negative doesn't change the fact that it's criticism. If most people think it's stupid, then they're going to say it's stupid. Don't blame them for "spoiling" it because they're just voicing how much of a letdown it is to them.

Maybe the thread is silly too you, maybe it's just a joke, or maybe the whole game just sounds so stupid that they do want to dislike it so much to tell Nintendo not to make more. Look at Mario Party. So many people hate the car mechanic, yet they brought it back. Maybe someone like it, but if it's such a pain to everybody else why should they cater to that one person? People are voicing their opinions because to them it really does sound like a waste of resources and they'd rather not have the developers waste more on more of these spin-off games.

Besides, it's not like it's a year after today and they're still spamming everyone on how they hate it. Just let people be and instead of telling them to stop being upset at something that legitimately seems like a huge letdown remind them that it may potentially be fun (although from the trailer it seemed eh)

I don't really have an opinion about this year with the exception of "Seriously? Not everyone buys amiibos" and the fact they're probably going to screw up with the board game formula again.
On the other hand, new Paper Mario sounds fine to me (the title SERIOUSLY reminds me of printer jams though...Those are never fun), as does a new multiplayer zelda (Gosh I loved GCN 4swords).

I actually didn't give a **** about HHD before. Now I've seen a bit more of it and it looks to have a bit more to it than I thought, I'm actually kinda intrigued. If anything, today's presentation has done that.

Then there's Festival...Which I'm almost definitely going to buy. I've wanted a Mario Party type game that wasn't Mario for quite a while because I'm kind of sick of Mario (seriously, about half my games are 'Mario' and I don't even really like him outside the platformers). So if anything, I now have a new drinking game to play with friends (assuming they'll play it with me ;-;)

Even 'Metroid: Superstar Soccer Adventure' I'll probably like. Am I disappointed? Yes, very, but it's a multiplayer Metroid game and me and my buddy will get loads of enjoyment out of that. The only mistake they made was announcing it as THE Metroid game rather than a Metroid game being released alongside a proper game.
Same goes with Trifoce Heroes. Multplayer Zelda. *whoop!*

Two things to keep in mind:
1) The AC team were working on Splatoon...I think it was a bit of a given that there wasn't going to be a proper AC:U since that team has other commitments as well (yano, like family). You were asking to have your expectations shattered to be honest.
2) Other developers are competing with each other. Nintendo are mostly competing with Nintendo. They can't announce all their big games all at once, otherwise they're just going to split sales on their own games.

One of the worsts showcases i have ever seen (E3). A N64-graphics Star Fox, a sportsy Metroid spin-off

C'mon, be fair. I don't even really like Starfox and I think it looked okay.

And I've been ripping on that Metroid game since the announcement but the stupid soccer thing is seriously just a small part of what is otherwise entirely a co-op shooter. It's hardly a sports themed Metroid...Though I will continue to focus on the football part as though it is the only aspect.

I already knew I would be picking up Hyrule Warriors for 3DS, but there wasn't anything else to tempt me today. Funnily enough, I love canon Paper Mario but always disliked the Mario&Luigi series, so any excitement I had for the new Paper Mario game is now gone.

Back