• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Smash Bros Which Smash Bros Version Should I Buy (Wii U or 3DS)?

Holla

🌸
Bells
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Golden Watering Can
Hey guys! ^.^ So I'm completely new to the Smash Bros series (besides the unlimited uses 3DS demo), and I'm wondering which version of Smash to get, should I decide to buy it. The demo is fun, but I'm not 100% sure it's the game for me, but who knows it might be! :)

So right now I have the regular (old?) 3DS XL and a Wii U. Personally I play my 3DS more but the Wii U is fun too. I already own 5 Smash Amiibos (Peach, Yoshi, Diddy Kong, Pikachu, and Rosalina. I may also buy Mario and Luigi eventually.) So I'll obviously have to get the Amiibo adaptor for my 3DS whenever that comes out.

My biggest issue is this though: Wii U games are so much more expensive than 3DS games so is it really worth it to buy the more expensive (arguably better) version of the game when I may not even like the game? What do you guys think?

Edit: This is a minor detail but I already have a Club Nintendo Code for the 3DS version registered on my account that someone gave me, so I would only have to buy the Wii U version to get the Mewtwo DLC if I'm correct.

Last edited:
It really depends what you prefer, both versions have their pros and cons.

For the 3DS, the singleplayer modes are way better, the game remembers your favourite "alt skins", it's significantly easier to unlock Custom Moves and things thanks to the (rather fun) Smash Run and in my opinion, the (non-Omega) level selection is actually a lot better here. Although on the flipside, you DO have to use a 3DS as a controller (which can annoy some people) and you don't get access to 8-Player Smash or all the music available, as the 3DS version only has two songs for each stage.

Whereas on the WiiU, the multiplayer modes are much better. You have access to cool things like Special Smash and 8-Player Smash, and the online play system uses the WiiU's nice Nintendo Network system (as opposed to the 3DS's rather archaic Friend Code system) -- plus, you can use whatever controller you feel like on the WiiU. The character models and graphics also look much better on the WiiU, though not to say that they look bad on the 3DS. (It's pretty much "good" vs "great" here) Additionally, two new features, Master Orders and Crazy Orders, are an absolute blast to play. Although on the flipside, the (non-Omega) level selection can be a bit awful, Smash Tour is absolutely horrible and the singleplayer modes tend to throw in a lot of annoying things at you. (like 8-Player Smash) It's also quite tedious to unlock custom moves and such in the WiiU version, due to the lack of a good mode for this. (The Orders are GOOD.. but you do unlock things pretty slowly.)

Also note that the 3DS and WiiU versions cannot play against eachother. (although, you can use the 3DS version as a controller for the WiiU version, if you're short on actual controllers) So pick the version your friends have!

tl;dr - If you like singleplayer or unlocking things quickly, get 3DS. If you like playing online in multiplayer, good controls but don't mind playing on Omega stages all the time, get WiiU.

( Also, if you have both, you get the soundtrack and Mewtwo DLC for free. )

Wii U is much better, but if you want to try out a smash game before getting the Wii U version, you can buy Brawl since it's cheaper than the 3DS version, and has (arguably) more content than the Wii U version.

Wii U is much better, but if you want to try out a smash game before getting the Wii U version, you can buy Brawl since it's cheaper than the 3DS version, and has (arguably) more content than the Wii U version.

I would try this method, but finding older games like Brawl can be difficult.

I can't play the Wii U one without my Gamecube adapter. I waited a couple months after I purchased the game to get my adapter before I started playing. I just can't play well with the Gamepad, but that's because I'm so used to the Gamecube controller. I would choose the Wii U one over the 3DS for sure generally. Cirom already mentioned a lot of the main reasons.

So true. The graphics are something you cannot pass up on. If you want to get the Mewtwo DLC, I suggest you buy them both but one at a later date than the other if you don't have enough money.

I have already registered a Club Nintendo Code for the 3DS version that someone gave me. So I can get the DLC with only buying the Wii U version. I'm likely only going to buy one version though. I was leaning towards 3DS but now I'm leaning towards Wii U.

I have already registered a Club Nintendo Code for the 3DS version that someone gave me. So I can get the DLC with only buying the Wii U version. I'm likely only going to buy one version though. I was leaning towards 3DS but now I'm leaning towards Wii U.

Yeah the Wii U graphics and stages are way better in my opinion. I'm still going to pick up the 3DS version to get Mewtwo though.

Yeah the Wii U graphics and stages are way better in my opinion. I'm still going to pick up the 3DS version to get Mewtwo though.

Unless you actually really want the 3DS version then I wouldn't buy it too just for the DLC, as it's been confirmed in Europe so far that if you miss out on registering both games then you will be able to purchase him at a later date. It's quite likely that NA will follow suit. It's likely going to be a lot cheaper than buying the 3DS, but if you really want the 3DS version and think you'll enjoy it then by all means. But honestly if I didn't already have a code registered for the 3DS version I still wouldn't buy both I'd just pay the fee to get Mewtwo later and my guess is he'll be no more than $10 or so. It's just a gimmick to get people to buy both games so you can get the "free" DLC before it's available to buy. More money for Nintendo that's all it really is.

Last edited:
I can't play the Wii U one without my Gamecube adapter. I waited a couple months after I purchased the game to get my adapter before I started playing. I just can't play well with the Gamepad, but that's because I'm so used to the Gamecube controller. I would choose the Wii U one over the 3DS for sure generally. Cirom already mentioned a lot of the main reasons.

I was deprived of a GameCube in my childhood so I have no familairity with a GC controller. :/ I do have a Classic Wii Pro Controller though that I can simply plug into a Wii mote that I originally bought for use with VC games on Wii. I would likely use that for Smash as I know I don't like the Gamepad for Mario Kart either (mind you I play with just a Wii mote in that though).

I was deprived of a GameCube in my childhood so I have no familairity with a GC controller. :/ I do have a Classic Wii Pro Controller though that I can simply plug into a Wii mote that I originally bought for use with VC games on Wii. I would likely use that for Smash as I know I don't like the Gamepad for Mario Kart either (mind you I play with just a Wii mote in that though).

Deprived? xD

I didn't have a GameCube, but my friend did and we used that to play Smash. It's actually pretty easy to get used to :blush:

Deprived? xD

I didn't have a GameCube, but my friend did and we used that to play Smash. It's actually pretty easy to get used to :blush:

Haha yeah that's the only word I can think of as most people my age had Gamecubes at the time and I didn't. I only ever played one once for a short amount of time and that was at a friend of my Parent's and we played Mario Kart Double Dash. I was so lost as I didn't know any of the controls. xD

Haha yeah that's the only word I can think of as most people my age had Gamecubes at the time and I didn't. I only ever played one once for a short amount of time and that was at a friend of my Parent's and we played Mario Kart Double Dash. I was so lost as I didn't know any of the controls. xD

Haha. I understand where you're coming from. It takes a while to get used to I guess... I haven't touched a GC controller in at least 8 years. :p

Back