• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Best Nintendo RPG?

Thousand Year Door wins every freaking time!
But Bowser's Inside Story was really awesome tbh

If LoZ:OoT is an RPG, then that's mine. If not, then probably Okamiden.

Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door is probably my all time favourite game, ever. Let alone RPG..
I also loved Earthbound and I'm going to play Mother 3 soon :D

Honorable mentions definitely Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga and Pok?mon HeartGold/SoulSilver.

Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time and Bravely Default are 2 of my favorite RPGs. Those and Pokemon.

I wrote a 7-page paper arguing against the categorization and labeling of certain games as "RPGs," but I'll just assume the original post is asking about "games that typically involve numeric representations of strength/prowess ('levelling-up' and 'stats'), multiple-character management ('parties' and 'equipment'), segments of repetition-for-payoff (or 'grinding'), and often emphasizes on a cycle between a (linear) plot, combat/conflict (either in turns or real-time), and travel in a fantasy setting."

I'm also going to surmise that the original post is asking about games primarily on Nintendo systems. As Adol the Red pointed out, most RPGs on Nintendo systems aren't actually developed in-house by Nintendo. I'm going to disregard that and go with my assumption though.

With all that out of the way, my vote for the "Best Nintendo RPG" goes to Chrono Trigger. I didn't play it until around high school, but it was amazing then and is still fun to play today. I'm not sure if it's suitable for most modern gamers, since a lot of current "RPG" mechanics have been derived/boiled-down/refined from it, so it may feel backwards at times.
  • Earthbound (Mother) games are equal parts charming and challenging.
  • Super Mario RPG is a classic too.
  • Golden Sun 1 & 2 are also really good (and often go under-appreciated). Don't play Dark Dawn after playing the first two though. You'll be disappointed, trust me.
  • Just about any entry in the Fire Emblem or Wars (Advance/Famicom) series are great. Even the really old ones are fun in their own way.
  • Although it hasn't been primarily on Nintendo systems, the Tales series has a few strong entries. The character designs can get a little... weird... though.
  • Unlike other series, you only really ever need to play the most recent Pokemon game. Other series' earlier games have their own charms, Pokemon doesn't change much. I played White version most recently. I have Y version, not motivated to play it after seeing there's going to be Ruby/Sapphire re-releases. Not even a little.
  • I've never played a Paper Mario game, so I can't speak on those. People seem to like them.
  • Final Fantasy games never really grabbed me, except for Tactics. It's more 'miss' than 'hit' for me.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and the original Paper Mario have to be my all time favorites. The art is cute, the world/maps/characters are wonderful, and it's fun to explore the mario universe with characters who live in it. Plus the villains in Thousand Year Door were really neat. :)

Golden Sun i would say is best True RPG they have made. i also like Advance Wars (and yes i know it is a TBS)

For RPG's published by Nintendo, the Fire Emblem series, Pokemon Series, and the first two Paper Mario games were the best imo.

Do you mean published by nintendo or simply an rpg on a nintendo system? that could make all the difference when it comes to replies!

It's still published by Nintendo so I don't see a problem with that.
It was published for a Nintendo system, but the actual publisher was Namco Bandai. Nintendo had as much hand in bringing Tales of the Abyss onto the market as Sony did, in that all they provided was a platform.

It was published for a Nintendo system, but the actual publisher was Namco Bandai. Nintendo had as much hand in bringing Tales of the Abyss onto the market as Sony did, in that all they provided was a platform.

Sorry, that's what I meant.

Back