• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Do you ever get overwhelmed with NH?

Honestly, at the very beginning I did get overwhelmed because there was SO MUCH STUFF to do.

I think one of the first things I remember doing after I got my tent set up, was to get a garbage can and start chucking all the flowers that I didn't want in there and keeping some of them. It was also daunting to do the terraforming since I couldn't reset like I did in ACNL when it didn't work the way I wanted it to.

I don't really get overwhelmed with Animal Crossing games when actually playing them and my main New Horizons island is no exception. I just kind of take things easy, go with the flow. I don't really terraform much and don't utilize path patterns to extravagantly decorate, so there isn't much to be overwhelmed by.

That said, I got a second Switch and a second copy of the game last year because I came up with a concept for an island that I think will be cool. I've been too paralyzed by indecision to start it. I don't know what to name the island and that's kept me from doing anything with it. I've really been feeling the urge to start recently. Hopefully I can decide on what to call it soon.

I got extremely overwhelmed when I designing my New Horizons castle town. I felt like there were too many possibilities and I didn't like anything I created. I had to put it down for probably about six-eight months before I picked it up again with new ideas and then everything went relatively fast. There are still areas I want to improve but its far less overwhelming when I work in sections rather than the island as a whole.

As someone who was an avid New Leaf player, I had basically played that game inside an out. I was never bored, and inspiration never ran out.

However... there's something about New Horizons.. where when I go to plan out my island, and how I want it to look, and decorate, I feel more overwhelmed than when I planned my New Leaf towns?

Maybe NH has a wider collection of furniture and items, and I can't figure out how to decorate with them?

Maybe people have created these elaborate islands where I feel like any island I create would be mediocre to those islands?

I never felt like this playing New Leaf!!! Tell me someone else feels the same?
Can't relate because I actually restarted my New Leaf town (probably more than 10 times) more than my New Horizons island (one time).

I think the only time I get overwhelmed in NH now is if there's a big NH activity to do on TBT.. like that Halloween Dream Address activity, I had a lot of items to order, a lot of re-arranging to do, a lot of designs to search for.

Other than that though my island is basically finished so there's not much to get overwhelmed about. I kinda miss it

I did for decorating but that's when I stop and revisit it again weeks or months later.

I used to get overwhelmed just as you described yeah. I played NH before new leaf and the loud music, so many dailies and decorating such a large space and the orders when I have a terrible memory and can't use notes was really overwhelming at first (I was time traveling).

Now it still is but a lot less so. First, I quit time travelling (for the most part outside of a few things) or trying to complete all the things and dailies or care at all. Then, I just focus on decorating one section. So instead of trying to do the whole island I think of it as making teeny little dollsets in one big blank canvas doll set and decorate what I like and that's much much better. Over time although I felt my island could not be elaborate it's become kind of so thru that manner haha. When I focus on a little place I want to visit on my island, that helps me not be overwhelmed. I have a room in my house to keep track of what I'm doing/what I'd like to do. Someday I hope to move it down outside. I think it can be overwhelming because it's so unstructured but if you just focus on one place at a time it helps a lot.

Last edited:
New Horizons can be very overstimulating, when I start to feel this way about the game I go back to the basics, try and focus on catching bugs and fish I don't have yet, talking to villagers, making money. Then once I start feeling less pressure I allow myself to decorate again, but only small areas at a time

Back when I played the game regularly I felt that way whenever I wanted to teraform my island since it’s slow and takes a long time. I ended up doing it anyway and now I’m really proud of the structure of my island, even if it was improvised.

If anything I felt limited with the furniture I had despite New Horizons having the most options since I had bad luck with what Timmy and Tommy were selling.

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the completionist aspect of it. Like I think about all the DIYs I still need/want and my head spins. I know no one is saying I HAVE to get them all... or complete my museum, or really anything I don't want to do... but some of this stuff I do actually want for my island build, like some of the maple leaf and mushroom stuff I want for the forest... but ugh balloon farming... my beloathed.

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the completionist aspect of it. Like I think about all the DIYs I still need/want and my head spins. I know no one is saying I HAVE to get them all... or complete my museum, or really anything I don't want to do... but some of this stuff I do actually want for my island build, like some of the maple leaf and mushroom stuff I want for the forest... but ugh balloon farming... my beloathed.
I got frustrated with how my villagers kept giving me recipes instead of DIYs and decided to buy most of the DIYs I was missing from this site instead. It's a relief to not have to worry about checking the game often enough to get 3 recipes from my villagers a day.

Back