• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details!

Your opinion on game related town names

majnin

Bells
Mailbox
I was just wondering what you all thought about town names from games/tv shows ect.

I had Olivine from Pokemon, and quite like Ooo as a town name hehe.

No particulariy on the subject but I HATE when people don't use a capital letter for their and their town's name. Sorry I just felt like putting it out there.

I think its nice to have a little tribute to a video game you like by putting it as a town name. I like the Town Name 'Hocotate', which was the planet from which Olimar came from in Pikmin.

I should be getting Animal Crossing New Leaf tomorrow, and I'm stilll trying to think of a good town name for my town - I was thinking of 'Twinleaf' being a possibility - Twinleaf of course is a town in the Sinnoh region in Pokemon.

P.S. If anyone has any suggestions for town names, that would be great!

I think its nice to have a little tribute to a video game you like by putting it as a town name. I like the Town Name 'Hocotate', which was the planet from which Olimar came from in Pikmin.

I should be getting Animal Crossing New Leaf tomorrow, and I'm stilll trying to think of a good town name for my town - I was thinking of 'Twinleaf' being a possibility - Twinleaf of course is a town in the Sinnoh region in Pokemon.

P.S. If anyone has any suggestions for town names, that would be great!

I'm trying to come up with a town name myself. If you like Pokemon then it's cool to pick a name from there like I did Olivine. I might choose Laverre, or I may go with Ooo.

I approve of pop culture references, but like with everything else, when it's done enough times it just drowns in the crowd. It's hard to be unique with something like this. But the most important thing is that you like it, and Olivine sounds pretty. I'm not into Pokemon, so I don't know what Olivine is.

My town name is Albion, which is the world in my favourite ever game series, Fable. That's why I chose it, and also why I chose it again after my game corrupted. I think it's a nice name and it's not too overdone, I've only ever heard of one other town called Albion. So yeah, mine is after a video game :3 Although if I see one more Hyrule, I think I'm going to scream :p

I like to see references to other games, especially if I recognize the name of the town from a game I play!

However, naming stuff like that just doesn't flow with me. I like to come up with my own names because otherwise I get OCD and am like "BUT IT DOESN'T HAVE THAT SORT OF THINGGGG."

...Though I have named one or two of my towns in other games after towns in a novel I'm writing before. My town of Moonvale is totally original though. I didn't base it off of anything. Just named it as a spiritual successor to my Population Growing town Sunvill.

I like them when their town actually has something to do with whatever they are referencing. They don't have to completely theme it, but even just putting up a triforce in Hyrule makes it sit better. I think it's kind of strange to just name a town after an already established location without even so much as a reference.

Feel free to steal the town name Nirvana:

It means paradise, beauty, etc.

I'm resetting due to losing Fauna.

My new town name will be either:

Blossom
Midnight
Moonbeam
Moonbow
Starsky
Seaside
Paradise
Denver
Idaho
Alabama
Orlando
Florida
Seattle

I named my town Rapture, because Bioshock is my all-time favorite game series. I sort of wish I'd picked something else, because there aren't many ways to make a creepy art deco undersea paradise in this game ^^;

Some of these names are way overdone, though. I've seen so many Hyrules and Skyrims :/

I have always named my towns in animal crossings Mew Mew. This time I am having trouble getting a single cat in my town. LOL, I ended up getting all bird type animals. My daughter usually names her towns after Pokemon games.

I dont mind them. My town's name is based off one. I named mine Termina from The Legend of Zelda - Majora's Mask. I don't base everything off that but my alt. characters, flag, and town tune all pertain to the town name.

I love town names with references to something else. I named mine's Route 201
Because I thoguht it'd be cute if I thought of my villagers as little pokemans running around in 'tall grass' hah...

Last edited:
I overall approve of the trend Video Game tribute/refrence/related names. I myself made my Mayor's Name Rapture (from BioShock) since that's been my pen name/online name since the game came out actually. As far as town I gave it the first thing that popped into my head. But when/if I reset I'm sure I'm going to do a BioShock themed name.. Maybe not the town name "Rapture" since I've seen quite a few of those, but maybe one of the level names for sure :>

I like it, but I don't like using names that are super overused. I knew I wanted to name my town after something from The Legend of Zelda, but I see way too many Hyrules. I ended up going with Koholint, after Koholint Island from Link's Awakening, which incidentally has a village of talking animals on it. My entire town isn't Zelda themed, but I have a Triforce made of flowers, Link is on my flag, and my town tune is "The Ballad of the Wind Fish."

I've seen so many Hyrules that I've lost count of them. XD Don't get me wrong, I love Zelda games, but there's just so many Hyrules lol! I've also seen a lot of towns named Paris and London too, even though they're actual places lol.

I named my town Hyrule and I totally regret it. I didn't think ahead and decide on a town name before I got the game so when Rover asked me where I was headed Hyrule was the first thing that popped into my mind. I am a fan of video game references in town names but I agree, Hyrule is too over done. If I could rename my town I would still choose something LoZ related like Kakariko or Ikana but NOT Hyrule.

Well, seeing as my town names are Lilycove and Solaceon, both of which are from Pokemon... Yeah, I have no problems with it! XD

My town is named LilyCove from pokemon but I don't think many people know of it lol The only reason why I chose it was because it sounded nice and I couldn't think of any other name. And yeah, there's too many Hyrules! Towns with game names or references are okay but I don't like it when it has not even a little to do with it :c I made a shaymin pattern (((o(*゚▽゚*)o))) does that count?

Last edited:
Back