• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Why so narrow minded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole thread
1383852723975-1344398559.jpg
You're all overthinking this. Stop it, alright?

im still very disappointed that something so incredibly simple as skin color choice is not a thing in animal crossing.
even pokemon has it now /:
i was one of those people that left my DS open for so many hours a day on the island to get a tan, which is incredibly boring when all you want to do is go mainland and improve your town. this really ruined my experience of the game.

im still very disappointed that something so incredibly simple as skin color choice is not a thing in animal crossing.
even pokemon has it now /:
i was one of those people that left my DS open for so many hours a day on the island to get a tan, which is incredibly boring when all you want to do is go mainland and improve your town. this really ruined my experience of the game.

I hope you're trolling.
If skin color is the difference between you enjoying and not enjoying this game, maybe you just really didn't like it.

You don't have to stand on the beach and tan. I got tans just from doing my mayoral duties in my town on sunny days. And I hated them. DX

Yeah, there really is no excuse when it comes to the skin color thing. I guess Nintendo expects you to use you Mii for a skin tone change, but that's still a little lazy. I also hope next game we have more eye color options. We can dye our hair bright purple, but not get yellow contacts?

Last edited:
I hope you're trolling.
If skin color is the difference between you enjoying and not enjoying this game, maybe you just really didn't like it.

You don't have to stand on the beach and tan. I got tans just from doing my mayoral duties in my town on sunny days. And I hated them. DX
um no im actually serious and i dont appreciate the implication
you can only tan mainland in summer, so if it happens to not be summer, then yeah, you have to be on the island.
and it ruined my experience of the game because it wasnt fun being stuck on the island just to get my character the skin tone i want her when everyone else can just hold an umbrella or something if they dont want to get darker.

um no im actually serious and i dont appreciate the implication
you can only tan mainland in summer, so if it happens to not be summer, then yeah, you have to be on the island.
and it ruined my experience of the game because it wasnt fun being stuck on the island just to get my character the skin tone i want her when everyone else can just hold an umbrella or something if they dont want to get darker.

But once you get a tan, you can keep it, no?
And sorry, but I've never heard of anyone experience ruined by something as small as skin color. .-.
Besides, you can just do something else when you go to the beach. You don't have to stand there for hours doing nothing..

Harvest Moon has changed recently. Their are boy and girl characters now.
Have been since the GBA versions, FOMT and MFOMT were girls only!
After that they gave the boy or girl option.

Animal Crossing is the most fun for Cross-dressing though!
Even if you can Cross-dress in Harvest Moon ANB!

Some of the things that K'napp says are funny, some are creepy, and some are cute.
I tend to take everything he says or sings with a grain of salt.

Harvest Moon has changed recently. Their are boy and girl characters now.
Have been since the GBA versions, FOMT and MFOMT were girls only!
After that they gave the boy or girl option.

Animal Crossing is the most fun for Cross-dressing though!
Even if you can Cross-dress in Harvest Moon ANB!

Some of the things that K'napp says are funny, some are creepy, and some are cute.
I tend to take everything he says or sings with a grain of salt.

Yes! Especially the end. I like Kapp'n, regardless, and he's true to himself in that he just behaves as if he enjoys being...himself. I just plain love this game. Nothing is going to please everybody, but we all must enjoy it or we wouldn't play it and come here.

Now, I'm off to the Island. I needs me some bells. And oh, yeah, I wonder if I'll get the "Butt Crack" song. :p

And sorry, but I've never heard of anyone experience ruined by something as small as skin color. .-.
Besides, you can just do something else when you go to the beach. You don't have to stand there for hours doing nothing..

Clarify, if you would, please, whether you are vehemently against the concept of a skin color choice option being introduced in future games, or if you are simply playing devil's advocate.

It's not about what it does for the "experience" of the game. It's about the implication of only allowing players to be represented as a singular skin tone, pale skin, in a game that allows you to customize pretty much every other aspect of your player character and the game itself. It's about the subtle categorization of any other skintones into one of "otherness," an anomaly.
It doesn't matter if you don't care about not being able to choose your skin tone in a game. It doesn't even matter if you've never heard the complaint before. The option of skin color choice should be standard in games like Animal Crossing by now. It benefits people who are not pale-skinned and has no detrimental effect on people who are. There is simply no reason why the choice should not be there.

You're all overthinking this

I disagree. We're not over thinking the game's flaws, we're discussing further development possibilities to a wonderful game that's open to such discussion. Animal Crossing came a long way in meeting today's world and in trying to resemble today's society, but you can't be 100% successful in that because there are always disagreements.

Every minority that doesn't fit into the ideal image of the world, based on gender, color or preference, should not feel offended if they are not being represented in a game. Yes, we can address the flaw and we can discuss over it. But in the end it's still a game that needs to appeal a big audience in order to be sold. At least these flaws, in positive sense, are opening discussion and for that I'm thankful. :)

(but Kapp'n is still remains a weird person)

On the skintone topic: Animal Crossing was originally made in Japan where most people are pale.
Yes, I agree that a skintone option could be added to the game.

Though it might be little changes over time like with Pokemon X/Y.
They didn't give any character customizing in Pokemon until X/Y were made.

So maybe they are trying to figure out for the next Animal Crossing game what players would love to be added to it.
Please don't assume that something will never happen in a game series.
After all, the tanning would not have happened if players didn't want to have a tan after visiting the island.

So while you can complain about the skintone issue all you want, unless you tell it too Nintendo, they won't hear it!

Again, I agree that players being able to choose a skintone would be a good idea.

For me though, it doesn't ruin the game at all that I can't pick a skintone though.

Last edited:
no, you cant just keep tans if its not summer. you have to keep making trips to the island.
and the thing is i dont want to do anything on the island. its so limited.

skin color is one of a few things that ruined my experience in animal crossing
one thing you may be right about is that maybe i dont like the game after all. i used to, i really did, but now looking back at it all i see is things that should have been done better

i have XY so its whatevs

I agree that you should be able to choose your own skin color. You could either choose your appearance at the beginning of the game (though it would end the tradition of Rover's/Kapp'n's questions determining your appearance) or it could be an option of customization available at Harriet's like hair color and eye color is. The former would be ideal, but either would at least be better than being forced to tan on the island to get a skin color that one feels comfortable with.

I guess everyone who feels this way should write/contact Nintendo to make it known to them that we want this change (or participate in a petition?).

As for Kapp'n .. he can be annoying, but I've been exposed to his banter since I was a little kid, and I don't think it had an extreme negative effect on me or anything.

Last edited:
I always understood Kapp'n as a very old fashioned man: His manner of speech and topics suggest it.

At least, Mabel and Labelle stop questioning your way of dressing once they become more comfortable with you, and Harriet is the one to suggest you cut your hair differently.

Also, at least with my villagers, they usually stick to the pronoun 'they', and make the same comments regardless of gender. c:

Wait wait wait wait a second

what exactly is "close-minded" about Kap'n saying his daughter, who must be like 4 or 5, is too young to date??? Unless I'm missing something here.

what exactly is "close-minded" about Kap'n saying his daughter, who must be like 4 or 5, is too young to date??? Unless I'm missing something here.

I am kinda lost here as well.

I always understood Kapp'n as a very old fashioned man: His manner of speech and topics suggest it.

At least, Mabel and Labelle stop questioning your way of dressing once they become more comfortable with you, and Harriet is the one to suggest you cut your hair differently.

Also, at least with my villagers, they usually stick to the pronoun 'they', and make the same comments regardless of gender. c:

In what "old fashioned" credo is infidelity condoned? lol Sounds to me like Kapp'n at least believes he has an open marriage, or he simply doesn't subscribe to the standard morays of monogamous society. Forget his homoerotic word play... =D

LOL No its the assumption that simply by virtue of being male, you must interested at all. At least I hope that's it... o.0

how did all of this happen...?

I'm not white and i ain't complaining.

Last edited:

>.> Why was this such a game spoiler for you? You could've just left your game on and read a book for a few hours or something...It's not like you're chained your DS and your fingers have to be on the buttons.

As for me, I'm a big fan of Kapp'n. He's really cracked and the songs he sings are strangely poignant. For those people who are offended by Kapp'n telling them his daughter is off-limits, what makes you think Kapp'n is serious?

Last edited:
Well, technically because it's a Japanese game, everyone's all Japanese. Not white. :p ;)

TBH, this happens a LOT in video games though. American developed video games that let you make a custom character *usually* have skin color sliders nowadays. It's much more rare for Japanese developed video games. Why? Because Japan really is 98-99% Japanese only. There isn't really as much racial diversity here, so people forget about it. It's not at all an excuse. That's just how it is. I'm white, but here in Japan, I'm actually an extreme minority. So much so that when I go to concerts, I've had people ask to take pictures of me because they think it's weird that a white gaijin likes *insert celebrity*. It almost makes me a minor celebrity sometimes just due to my race and it's really odd.

Diversity is so much NOT a thing in Japan too that sometimes when non-Japanese characters appear in anime, they always really stick out. Maybe they have giant noses or have really hugely thick eyebrows or have some weird stereotypes (black characters in anime and games almost always serve as comedic relief or are scary thugs).

I must say that hetero-normative is a huge thing in Japan, even more than elsewhere. If you are gay in Japan, you're expected to keep it on the down low. You just don't talk about it at all. If people find out, most of the time they don't have a problem with it, but they don't want you talking about it. Gay couples also can't legally get married in Japan and they don't get any of the benefits that hetero married couples get.

So yeah... while I love Japan, I have to point out that a lot of the stuff you guys are talking about is largely because Animal Crossing is a Japanese developed game.

Exactly what I was thinking. Animal Crossing is first made for the Japanese, so perhaps Nintendo didn't really think of the "skin color option" since everybody is Japanese, there isn't a ethnic diversity like in countries such as the USA and UK. It would be nice to have an option, and I think the next game will have it, just like Pokemon X/Y.
But then again, I'm not really bothered now by the fact that there isn't this option, perhaps because I'm half Caucasian half Asian.
It isn't an issue in Japan, the game was made essentially for the Japanese.

And for Kapp'n, I just skip his songs by clicking A, so I don't really care about his sexual harassment xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back