• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details!

Why so narrow minded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J087

a Paw for Good Luck
Bells
Holiday Candy Cane 2021
Yellow Candy
New Leaf Token
Pavé
December Birthstone (Turquoise)
Red Candy
I came across this slightly disturbing message while sailing back home from Tortimer's island.

First of all, what makes him think we'd be interested in his daughter, and secondly, why is he being so narrow minded? I really hoped the game would be more openminded about relationships after they introduced the option for characters to wear clothing and haircuts of the opposite gender. :(

HNI_0071.JPG

Last edited:
That's just who Kapp'n is, imo. He is who he is and thinks the way he does simply...because. :) I don't think there is any insult intended or anything. He's just being Kapp'n.

You're right about it being hetero-normative, but it's a video game, they always are. What I find even MORE narrow-minded about Animal Crossing is how everyone is, by default, white. I could write an entire sociology paper on the poor message that sends. You should be able to customize your character's looks in the beginning of the game similar to in The Sims.

You're right about it being hetero-normative, but it's a video game, they always are. What I find even MORE narrow-minded about Animal Crossing is how everyone is, by default, white. I could write an entire sociology paper on the poor message that sends. You should be able to customize your character's looks in the beginning of the game similar to in The Sims.

That element surprised me, too. I am surprised by the lack of skin-colour choices just as I am annoyed when I play an RPG and HAVE to be a male. How difficult is it to give you the opportunity to be female? Or a darker or lighter skin-tone?

I'm white, but I do think that you should be able to choose your skin color. Why Nintendo can't you choose your skin color?

I have to agree with what's said above - Kapp'n just says stuff like that. To see for yourself try making a girl character :p

And Illyana said - most video games send similar messages.

Another thing I found really problematic, unrelated to the game itself but related to this forum, was a bunch of presumably white girls complaining about how "disgusting" their tans were and asking about the quickest way to be rid of them because they were omg so gross!! A naturally darker skinned person who worked hard to tan their character to make it more accurately represent them may have read those comments and gotten quite offended.

I'm white, btw. I'm just someone who is very aware of and annoyed by white privilege and its presence in video games, I've written about it in the past.

Last edited:
That's just who Kapp'n is, imo. He is who he is and thinks the way he does simply...because. :) I don't think there is any insult intended or anything. He's just being Kapp'n.

I don't find it insulting. I respect, but pity, their way of thinking. The same situation is created when a villager rumours: "I think (this boy) and (this girl) make a nice couple". But in the end games usually adapt to the bigger audience. The same goes for the skin issue.

If they don't want to adapt to it being 2013 they should avoid such comments from villagers all together.

Last edited:
kapp'n's a weird one man, has anyone seen that butt crack song he sings? i was in horror when i saw that omg

just as I am annoyed when I play an RPG and HAVE to be a male. How difficult is it to give you the opportunity to be female?
this is me every time (sly dig at harvest moon)

I agree with everything said above. We should choose what color our skin should be, first of all, and what's so wrong with a deep tan? It'll go away eventually, so I don't see what people have to complain about, but I do think that choosing your skin color should be in the next Animal Crossing game, if there is one.
Kapp'n has always been a strange guy, and yes, it is more awkward as a girl. I remember everything he would say on City Folk and Wild World; I always wondered why Nintendo made his personality like that. I don't want to go on too much, though, because it looks like a big argument could break out any minute now. :(

Kapp'n has always had boundary issues, so you laugh and learn to take him with a grain of salt. However - would you want an adult speaking to your kids/younger siblings like that irl? We have all age groups who enjoy this game; at best it humorizes poor judgement (Aw he's just Kapp'n... kind of a "talking-turtles-will-be-turtles"); but at worst it normalizes & desensitizes our youngsters to inappropriate banter.

errrrrrrr she's young enough to struggle with basic pronunciation so I would say we should NEVER be that 'open minded'.

she's a child.

really wish games would stop assuming im straight and realize there are more genders than boy and girl

theyre not overthinking it???
i would love for a game with lesbian characters. gay characters. trans* characters. but i know this wont happen now sadly. it doesnt hurt to push for it though. but this wont happen in ac for a while.

and kapp'n is pretty gross get away from me you got a wife you big loser

Last edited:
errrrrrrr she's young enough to struggle with basic pronunciation so I would say we should NEVER be that 'open minded'.

she's a child.
I don't think the majority of us are even remotely referring to the age thing.

And annoyance over the inability to customize your character to have the same skin color as you is overthinking? You must be white. Your privilege is showing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back